Friday, November 13, 2020

Dolls And A Million Crunchy Leaves...

 


It wasn't but a mere three days ago that this was the morning view.  It looked as though the whole world might be celebrating this wonderful time of year.  But, this morning there certainly "wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago."  For the past few days those millions of beautiful leaves have been raining down in a storm of falling leaves leaving millions  on the ground through which Millie and I walk.  It is a crunchy trek up that old trail these days, for sure.  Every forest critter certainly knows, way in advance, that some pilgrim is coming their way, so they are long gone by the time we get there.  



Well, here they are.  The clay is finished...finally! And, thank goodness!  What was I thinking when I decided to do all five of these together?  Why that would wear down the bravest soul.  They are getting awfully tired of living in those old cans, but there will be no getting out for a long while yet.  It will be a happy reunion for these dear friends when they all have been painted and dressed in  their fine new frocks.   

I have tried to refrain from choosing a favorite for, like any mother, I love all my children.  However, I am especially pleased with Maggie Rose Gunderson, who seemed, for a long while, that she was destined to be the Ugly Duckling of the entire lot.  I struggled with that, for it just couldn't be, for she was named after Robert Mitchum's mother, Ann Harriet Gunderson, who was a Norwegian immigrant and a sea captain's daughter.  (One can only imagine, the stories she could have told.)  

The other dolls' names were just figments of my imagination, except for Linnie Ruth Butts who is named for my great great grandmother.  Her name was, however, Lucretia.

Jubilee Anice Cliff was the first doll I created, so she's kind of special as having been the inspiration for the others.  She is second from the right next to Linnie Butts on the end. 



Jillie Leone Cooper gave me lots of trouble, which wasn't her fault, but mine.  The sculpting just went way wrong and I could never correct it, even though I tried and tried.  I finally just made a new head for her, so she has had to struggle to keep up with the others.  She is the first one on the left, and seems so happy to have finally joined the others.  

And, last there's Riata Elizbeth Millwright.  What a name!  By the time she came along, I was worn to a frazzle and really didn't want to touch another ball of clay.  I don't feel like I know this doll much.  She just is...  She is pictured in the center.  She may, however, end up being the prettiest doll of the group.  And, the sweetest.  I am looking forward to getting to know her.   





Now, I am going back out to clean more windows.  Those micro-fiber cloths Happy One wrote about are definitely the only way to go when it comes to cleaning glass.  

Mary



29 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I love all your children too. I like that you've given them all proper names and the chance to develop their individual personalities. I can only imagine all the work involved!
Love the Autumn pictures. What a view you are blessed with.

Hootin Anni said...

Beautiful fall foliage & yes, Millie can't sneak up on anyone for now. But soon a blanket of snow to silence the footsteps. Your dolls are INcredible!!

happyone said...

Beautiful view.
I love walking in those crunchy leaves too.
Yes, those micro fiber clothes are the only way to go!

Prims By The Water said...

Your gals are coming along quite fine! Cannot wait to see them finished. Janice

lil red hen said...

I'm a little partial to Jillie. Of course they are all special. What age (in human years) are they?

Morning's Minion said...

Your fall seems to have progressed about the same as ours in S. Central Kentucky. It has been beautifully mild here, but now the air has a crispness and the trees are nearly bare.
I can't imagine the artistry that goes into the making of your dolls--but I do admire them

Hill Top Post said...

Charlotte, that's a good question. I have pondered about the age of the dolls. I suppose I perceive them as being teenage girls. Do they seem that to you?

And, Sandra, all three of my granddaughters have a lot of artistic talent. The youngest one has made cloth dolls with me, but we haven't ventured into clay yet. She and her sister love dressing the dolls I made for them and their American Girl Dolls. Your granddaughters will soon be playing dolls with you.

Henny Penny said...

I love when you post about your dolls! It is amazing how different each doll looks and all of them have beautiful faces. You are so talented! We have millions of leaves on the ground too. I just stand and stare, wondering if I can tackle them all again this year. You havr such a pretty place.

Kim said...

Shoes crunching upon millions of autumn leaves does sound rhythmic. How beautiful your little world is. How beautiful your dolls are; as are their names. I suppose the amount of time spent in defining and characterising each of the dolls' faces means you get to know each one and their personality very closely.

Debra said...

Oh my. The doll's faces are just gorgeous. I have tried sculpting perfect faces like that and I end up with-well....I have to turn them into rather prim faces because that's what they are! Not works of art like yours! I am anxious to see the clothing. I love your dolls! And your view. You have a 'heaven on earth' place to call home.

P.S. I LOVE Prim-and I think there is real art and beauty in primitive. So I better say my doll faces are.... Maybe unique is the right word!!!

jenclair said...

I love the leaves--the turning, the falling, the blanket of crunchy goodness on the ground that will feed the soil for more leaves next year.

That Johnny Horton song is a favorite, "on down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico."

Your dolls and their names are fabulous!

Rose said...

I have got to get on the computer to see your girls better. I love meeting them through your words.

What beautiful photos those first two are!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I adore your dolls! Every one has a different expression and I can't wait to see what you do next with them. Their names are wonderful too and I love your stories about them. Oh, and those fall photos would make wonderful cards!

nookworm said...

I sure could get carried far away in the company of those beautiful doll pre-teens. Yes, I think they are all under 13 and innocent as their names suggest but the personalities vary in a huge way....OK I'm dithering here... You are a fabulous artist and have magic ways with clay! I'm so glad I can experience the joy of your work in progress.

Quilting Babcia said...

I've got a soft spot in my heart for little Riata Lizbeth, though each of her sisters is developing her own unique personality! There must come a moment in each one's creation where you just have to drop everything and finish her! Our beautiful fall colors have faded and it's so good to see the rich hues still visible in your area.

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

My goodness! They are amazing! They look like black and white photos. You are so talented! It would surely be a joy to have one come live here with me. Are these gifts for dear someone's or possibly adoptable?
Blessings!
~Carolyn

kathyinozarks said...

Such gorgeous views I enjoyed the photos-so glad you dropped by

Gretchen Joanna said...

Hmmm... I think I could look at them a long time, trying to get to know them myself. But it would never happen, me not being able to hold them and turn them this way and that.

I have had only one experience with making dolls' faces. Were you reading my blog back then? I was so glad I'd made two, because one of them was quite disagreeable. It took me a long time to adjust her visage and attitude. I never finished her -- yet -- but at least I like her now.

Soon I will be moving into my sewing room and will find the boxes of doll things, and maybe I'll actually finish that one doll, and go on to create more little friends. You are encouraging me just by sharing your fun.

acorn hollow said...

Our leaves are all down at this point this is the least prettiest time of year for us the trees are waiting for the snow to cover them.
Your dolls are sweet and look like a lot of work. I will have to try the micro fiber for the windows.
Cathy

Jean Tuthill said...

Your girls are so beautiful and each one has a proper name and a personality of their own! Love them! Your Autumn views are spectacular. Thanks for coming by to visit.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Gracious! I was greatly admiring your work, the little sewn hands and drawn faces, and then I scrolled down...to see the amazing sculpting! Incredible!

The Hermits said...

Oh, how sweet their faces are, Mary!!! You get better and better at this, you know it? They so look like a little classroom full of girls, expectantly waiting for something.

Leigh said...

Oh my, your leaves went quick!

I'm amazed at how exquisite your doll's faces are. Beautiful!

Hootin Anni said...

Hapoy Thanksgiving!

Rose said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your pretty fall country looks like such a serene place to go for a crunching walk through!
How much I loved reading about your dolls, the reason you named them and all! They look delightful!

Martha Bishop said...

Hi Mary, Finally found you. I haven't paid much attention to the blogs, but I will do more now. always love the pictures of your home and the dolls are very sweet. 5 is a lot to do at one time, but they are going to be beautiful. I look forward to seeing them all finished.

Barwitzki said...

I'm excited. What beautiful dolls you create ... beautiful, small, fine soul ... Thank you. I have to look further in your blog.
Many warm greetings to you.
Viola

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What awesome dolls! I love your fall foliage.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!