Thursday, December 24, 2020

A Figure in the Dark...

 



A figure in the dark, clad in heavy furs, a fierce mask-covered face, a bundle of switches on his back, banging and shouting throughout the countryside...


What could be more frightening to a young child?  The figure trudged from house to house, rattling chains and throwing pebbles at the windows.  He carried goodies for the children in his sack, mostly fruits and sweets, but he also carried switches and threatened to smack any children who hadn't been good.




The figure often carried a sprig of evergreen as a symbol of life amid the deadly cold of winter.  This is the legend of the Belsnickle according to German folk lore which came with the immigrants to America.  The fierce eyed Belsnickle takes his name from Pelz-Nickolaus, which means "St. Nicholas in fur."  









Well, good or bad, kiddies, tonight is the night. Best wishes and "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."  


To all my blogging friends, I hope you have a very

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.


See you soon, and take care,

Mary


23 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

We had a version of Belsnickel in our home, and I always got a big bundle of "switches" along with the gifts. The switch supply was used heavily during the year! Merry Christmas to you. I enjoy your blog greatly!

Granny Marigold said...

Belsnickle was not part of my childhood. I think I might have been scared of him. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Kim said...

May you and yours have a blessed Christmas, Mary. Your St Nick is beautiful. There is not a shred of fierceness in that kindly face of his.

acorn hollow said...

frightening! Merry Christmas!
Cathy

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Merry Christmas wishes to you and yours - in whatever form it may take this year!

lil red hen said...

I didn't know all this! Interesting!! Daddy has told me about getting switches in his stocking...how mean!!

happyone said...

He does seem a bit scary!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed the story-which I did not know about.
Merry Christmas

Gretchen Joanna said...

Merry Christmas, Mary!

Hootin Anni said...

Merry Christmas Mary!

jenclair said...

I have to agree with Sandra--the faces you've created seem kind and caring. Beautiful details, too.

Debra said...

Your Good Fellow has a look of kindness-I love your dolls. I had heard there was a dark-side story of Santa Claus, but never knew just what it was. Your doll is superb. Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year. I am so happy we are friends!!!

Prims By The Water said...

Great Santa and Merry Christmas! Janice

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have never heard of Belsnickle......I would have been scared if I had heard of this when I was a child. Love your doll........so wonderful! Wishing you a blessed new year

Rose said...

This was a great post...we have been to our kids and I just did not do much blogging while there. I hope your Christmas was a good one...

Hill Top Post said...

Sandra, I am just now seeing your question. (Today, I took down and packed away all of our Christmas stuff! Yay!) There are three different Santas pictured here. I made a total of five, but these three are my favorites. It’s always hard for me to put them away, but when it is time, it is time. Hope you enjoyed your white Christmas. We had a cold brown one.

R's Rue said...

❤️❤️❤️

The Hermits said...

Such a sweet expression on your Santas.

nookworm said...

Your Santas have kind faces. They are wonderful and pleasant to me. I never heard of the Belsnickle.

Granny Marigold said...

Happy New Year, Mary. Hope it brings you much joy and good health.

Bonnie K said...

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

This is a very interesting posting.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and will have a very Happy New Year!

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh Hi
How fun to read this and the pictures are wonderful. The throwing rocks at the windows? wonder how many windows the old guy broke?

Talk Later Janice