Friday, November 5, 2021

"We are burning daylight."

 



 I am still denying to myself that winter is right upon us here.  I am a sunshine kind of gal and like to feel its warmth on my face.  I have Millie's persistence to thank for keeping me going up and down these old trails every single day.  Here she is staring through my bedroom window while I make my bed.  She is impatient to get going.  I can almost read her thoughts, "Come on Mary.  We are burning daylight."  (That's an old John Wayne quote that I repeat often.)  I almost laughed this morning when I saw both her ears standing erect.  That happens only in winter's cold, so  here we go!  

The wax begonia in the picture above has been taken inside for the winter.  It is like the ones my mother and grandmother used to grow, so it's quite special.  It has had a good summer living in an old pot on the east side of the porch and has bloomed its heart out.  

My birthday on the first day of November has come and gone.  It was a great day with lots of phone calls and texts from special people.  My sister also surprised me with a visit.  It had been almost two years since I had seen her, so you can imagine all the catching up we had to do.  

After Sis left, Millie and I trekked over the hill to the place where the muscadines grow to see if we might be able to shake a few down from high in the trees where the vines have climbed.  Much to my delight a few were still hanging on.  With the first jerk of the vine, several grapes came peppering down around me.  I quickly snatched them up and quicker than a cat can wink his eye, I sucked the sweet juice out of those marvels of delight and then right down my throat they went.  I hope I will remember that taste all winter long.  Happy Birthday to me!  



Baby Calf is growing up.  Our granddaughter enjoys coming to feed him and gives him lots of love.  He is doing well and has grown quite a bit since this picture was made a couple of weeks ago.    



I will end this post with another of our "Working Late" photos.  We had just finished vaccinating calves when I noticed how beautifully the clouds had formed in the east.  








15 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Mary, enjoyed your post. Yum wild grapes-we had those all over at the woods property. I would fill a quart jar half full of those washed grapes fill with boiling water-and then waterbath can them. after several months-strain-and you have juice-easy way haha
the little calf is so little just before winter. I love your banner photo too, and I can see Millie patiently waiting for your walk-hugs Happy Friday and weekend Kathy

happyone said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Glad you enjoyed your day with a visit from you sister. :)
The calf is so cute.
I enjoy the sun too and the sun on a cold day is such a treat.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like it was enjoyably spent. Ohhhh, those clouds - and that sky - are incredible! That photo is tugging at something in my memories, but I can't quite reach it. I am glad to read Baby Calf is doing well...such a little cutie. And LOL at Miss Millie...too funny. I don't recall ever hearing that JW quote but I love it. ~Robin~

Granny Marigold said...

I love the picture of Millie waiting for you to get a move on. Funny that her ears only stand erect in winter.
I grow many different flowers but I've never had any luck with Begonias. I think they're so pretty but have given up on having any.
That's an awesome sky/cloud photo!!

Leigh said...

A belated happy birthday! We didn't get many muscadines this year. I suppose because we got a good harvest last year. Makes them all the more precious when there are few.

nookworm said...

Glad you had a happy birthday! Boy, it has been ages since I have tasted muscadines! I have forgotten where I found them but remember their sweetness. Ears up Millie! Brisk walks are in your coming days! Love love love the cloud photo!

Rose said...

That was a beautiful parting shot! Laughing at Millie...they are as good as a clock. When I was a kid, if we were not headed to the barn at feeding time, my dachshund was at the back door barking to let us know it was time to go. I dread winter, but can handle it as long as it is not day after day or clouds!

Henny Penny said...

Another beautiful post! Millie is so pretty and that look! We see that in our dog's eyes most every morning just before time to go for a walk. They can't wait another minute. You have a beautiful granddaughter. Oh, I meant to say Happy Birthday at the beginning. Sounds like it was special. I remember begonias like that one. My Aunt Berlie had them growing in pots that sat out on the front steps of her house.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

First of all, happy belated Birth Day wishes! I'm in denial over the approaching winter too and hoping that if I ignore it all will be well. Somehow I don't think I'll win that particular 'debate' particularly when there was a hard frost this morning. Glad to hear the wee calf is growing and doing well.

Olde Dame Holly said...

You have such an eye for capturing scenes that carry so much meaning. I just love your photography. And your posts in general! I have two muscadine vines, but they do not like the desert and have not done very well so far. But, there's always next year! There is NOTHING like the taste of a muscadine or a scuppernong.

Gretchen Joanna said...

Happy Birth Month! I'm glad the begonias were hanging on for your birthday. That kind grows in many gardens around here, but I don't think I've ever had them. They just keep blooming and blooming!

Elderberry-Rob said...

belated happy birthday, how lovely your pictures are. I don't know what a muscadine is!

acorn hollow said...

Happy Birthday! We say you are burning daylight at our house too.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

First all Happy belated birthday! So glad you got to catch up with your sister. Calf looks sweet and so does your granddaughter! Janice

Debra said...

Happy Birthday a little late! I've never heard that expression of burning daylight but I love it. I am sure I have seen all of John Wayne's movies though...