Sunday, June 4, 2023

A Day in June...




As I write this, I am looking through old buttons for something suitable for the Wild Jacket.  Yes, the jacket is finished now except for this final step of making buttonholes and sewing on buttons... and then it'll be off to the dye pot.


Earlier, when I was out and about, making my preliminary rounds of checking on the gardens, I surprised a doe as she was nibbling on one of the tomato plants.  She looked a bit abashed to have been found out, and gave me one of those, "what goes on here, stays here," looks.  I thought she was beautiful.  


We missed an opportunity yesterday for a good rain shower.  Dark clouds looked promising, but all to no avail.  We did, however, enjoy a drop in temperature of about a dozen degrees, which made for a most pleasant afternoon.

While the plants were in the mood for rain, I dragged out the garden hoses and began to water.  I hoped that every flower, bush, and garden vegetable would think it was rain falling from the sky, for plants like that kind of water best of all.  

As I moved slowly from here to there, my summer tanager alighted on his favorite fence post and sang to me.  I have read that the tanagers are quite shy, but it seems to me that they seek out company, or in this case, this summer tanager seems to seek out my company.  

There are several other summer tanagers here on the hill this year ~ possibly sons and daughters that have been born and raised here.  I often hear their sweet songs as Millie and I walk the trails, and on one day's trek, I saw both a male and female together.  The female is rather yellow green in color, but I do not often see her. 






I am happy to see that the Bee Balm (monarda) is beginning to bloom. The hummingbirds love it almost as much as I do.

I have begun to move a few plants into the new border along the old plank fence.  Monarda was one of the first things I planted there.  I have given it lots of space so it can do what it wants to do.  

















And, now for those buttons......  




14 comments:

Sandi said...

I like your green chicken!

Great shot of the doe.

Julia said...

I'm amazed at your talent for making your own pattern. Your linen jacket looks great. I'm looking forward to the finished product that I hope you'll model for us in your next post.

I used to love to see deers in the backyard, but since they have increased in number, (11 last year) and they ate all my carrot tops and tomatoes, and out of 30 plants, I harvested 12 tomatoes. They ate the tiny tomatoes as soon as they were the size of marbles. They ate all my Tulips, Hostas, Hydrangeas, and Phlox too. Somehow, the Phlox bloomed and the Hostas came back with fewer blooms. I guess, sometimes we have to share. lol.

It's been so hot here and now it's too cold to plant and it's been raining which is good against forest fires as it was so dry. Very unusual weather.

Hugs,
Julia

Bonnie K said...

What a fun post. I hope the doe doesn't return for the rest of your tomato. I also have a friendly Western Tanager. Last year I had four pairs. This year only two. No hummingbirds yet. My feeders are ready. I cannot wait to see the finished jacket. You are amazing! Have a fabulous week.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sure you'll find the perfect buttons for your Wild Jacket. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result ( as I'm sure you are too).
I didn't know deer ate tomato foliage. It has such a strong smell and I assume taste too. When we walked by Fish Trap Creek this morning we saw a doe on the small island that's in the middle of the creek. Others said she had a fawn and they had seen it. We didn't.
I love that your summer tanager seems to seek your company ❤❤

nookworm said...

I await your jacket being dyed after it gets its buttons attached. As for deer, my daughter bought me a plant for "Henry" who sits on the front porch but she left it on her sidewalk by the door overnight and a bold deer ate it! She saw it coming back for more the next morning! Nature rules. Bee Balm is one of my very favorites!

TheCrankyCrow said...

How I love the little peeks into your beautiful yard and grounds! And the peek into your lovely button box. That first photo almost looked like a painting. I am glad that your faithful tanager has returned to serenade you. I have only ever heard one recorded. No rain here either although each day the sky darkened into a promise. ~Robin~

happyone said...

What great old buttons.
Terrific shot of the deer!!
Hope she leaves you some tomato plants! :)

Prims By The Water said...

Beautiful doe. Bob stopped for a doe and baby yesterday. Fortunately he was able to stop and not hit them and there was no other traffic as they crossed the road. Cannot wait to see your jacket. Janice

Debra said...

I have birds that are MY birds too. Your flowers are so pretty. I can't wait to see what buttons you will pick.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never been lucky enough to see a tanager but I'm grateful for the pretty-much-every-morning serenade from a Jenny Wren. I haven't caught a glimpse of the actual bird but I know he/she is in the big spruce tree just outside our windows. Perhaps there's a nest there.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your photos are always so lovely! Love the jacket and cant wait to see which pretty buttons you decide to place on it! Love your yard art chicken!

Barwitzki said...

Those gorgeous buttons... and yes, the jacket is beautiful. I love the cut. I also do a lot of my patterns myself - I'm not that bad and I improvise a lot... but it usually turns out nice in the end... now I'm sewing a pair of pants and a matching top - summer top.
Have fun for you... I'm very happy to see someone who works similar to me :-)) and by the way I haven't been sewing that long... it's so much fun.
Greetings to you. I wish you a happy weekend.
Hug of Viola

Lisa said...

I'm sure I saw a tanager once, in mid-summer in a green tree, just a flash of that orangey red. Your blog is so pleasant and soothing. :)

Morning's Minion said...

I have a dwarf monarda in bloom, nearly buried by poppies. The taller variety in the back garden is still in bud. Strangely, my New England asters are starting to blossom--they evidently don't know they're meant to wait until August.