Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Summer's End...




The last of the hay has been baled. :~)  As we were finishing the field, we saw again, two young coyotes poking their heads up above the tall grasses.  They were catching and eating grasshoppers. I don't think a coyote has an easy life but these two seemed to be plump and in good health.  



Fall colors are beginning to show up along the trail on which Millie and I walk every day.  Our oldest granddaughter, who enjoys walking as much as I do, went along with us today. We stopped along the way and picked some muscadine grapes which are quite plentiful this year.  The granddaughter filled her pockets.   



I have much love for this old well-worn path that winds past the upper pond, over hill and through fields and meadows. In summer the tanagers, cardinals and mockingbirds sing from the thickets and treetops, but today there was only the scream of a Red-Tailed hawk and the caws of some noisy crows.  


The latest set of twins were lying in the upper meadow, while Momma Cow grazed nearby.  She thought something looked suspicious, so she came running and quickly took her babies away.   I am thankful that she can, at least, count to two, for most cows can't, or won't, so that we have to raise the rejected one on a bottle.  It has been a year for twins, and we currently have two bottle calves to care for.  




13 comments:

jabblog said...

I thought it was unusual for a cow to have twins or does it depend on the breed?

Sandi said...

So sweet that mama came running!

Saundra said...

Isn't there a chance the coyotes might become aggressive toward Millie, the twins or you instead of eating bugs?

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Mother nature is always a wonder. How lovely your walks are.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You have such a lovely area to walk and the sight of twin calves is an additional bonus. So glad this momma is happy with the challenge.

nookworm said...

I LOVE your drawing of the coyotes! We have wild muscadine grapevines on the backroads here but never any grapes! Lucky you... Nice cow image. She's a good mother to protect her twins with so much enthusiasm. I'm sure there are many threats to the calves on your range.

Gretchen Joanna said...

It's a pleasure to get this glimpse into your life and neighborhood through the changing seasons.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Reading posts of yours like this one make me feel as though I have fallen back into my old life and the farm on which I grew up. That photo of the mama and her twins especially yanked me through time as that field with the wooded border and gentle hill could have passed for one of my favorite haunts "back then." A real tug on my heart strings. ~Robin~

happyone said...

Always something different along a walk even one walked every day.

acorn hollow said...

Such hard but rewarding work.
I love that your grand filler pockets lol
Cathy

Granny Marigold said...

I didn't know coyotes ate grasshoppers. It must take a lot to fill them up.
I've been reading a book that often talks of coyotes and their ways. It's called The Perfection of the Morning and it's by Sharon Butala. I used to own the book, decided to donate it, then after a year or so I found it again (thrift store) and now I'm rereading it.
From your pictures I'd say you're having very lovely weather ❤

Lisa said...

Oh, the calves are so cute! How lovely that you have these grapes to eat along your pretty walk.

Debra said...

I love this post-it's full of things to see in my mind. I am seeing coyotes eating bugs!