Through the back gate and up the meandering old trail, Millie and I walked this morning for the 1500th consecutive time. That really is quite a milestone for we've never made it that far before. One might think it tiring to walk the same paths day after long day, but that's not me - or Millie. There's always something new and different to see or hear, if one only takes the time to notice. Where better to watch the comings and goings of the seasons than on that old hill?
"Come forth to this hill at sunset to behold and commune with something grander than man."
~Thoreau
.
"I used to long for faraway places. Now, this patch of earth feels like the whole world. The older I get, the more I see the gift of staying, not stuck, but rooted. The same sun rises, the same soil softens under my boots, and somehow that sameness feels like grace. Adventure is fine, but peace lives close to home." `Author unknown
***************
"Might I...might I have a bit of earth? To plant seeds in. To Make things grow."
-Mary Lennox, A Secret Garden
So, I have that patch in which to plant in and to make things grow, but it's not always as easy as it seems.
"You want clarity? Plant something tiny and trust it with your patience. Watch how slowly miracles happen.
You want strength? Carry the watering can Even on the days you don't feel like showing up.
Then show up again tomorrow. That's gardening. That's devotion.
Still is..."
It seems to be a year for critters, which is both good and bad. Hoppy little rabbits (or maybe it is squirrels, for we have both.) have developed a taste for zinnias, of which I have always taken great pride. So, there are few zinnias this year!
The garden does look rather dull without them, I think. But, hey, as a trade off, we do have paths. I created them with old dead cedar wood that I found in the woods. Dan doesn't care for the look, but, then, he has no imagination! :~)
From last year's garden....
(I know it makes me sad too.)
.jpeg)

.jpg)




9 comments:
Congrats on the milestone walking. When we hat the hot wave I was watering twice a day. Did not want my flowers to die after all the work of planting them. Loved seeing your pics. Janice
It is endlessly interesting how a garden plot changes from year to year, some plants completely disappearing after several seasons of flourishing, others spreading all over and becoming 'thugs.'
I don't tire of the path that Jim keeps mowed for me around our acreage. The pastures and woods of my youthful years offered more diversity of route, but this suits me now. There is always something to notice.
Oh how lovely! I enjoy the same paths and find them always wonder-filled. From bird song to worm paths in the dirt-it's all a gift.
So sorry about the zinnias. So far the bunnies have left our plants alone this year-fencing helps. Chipmunks still dig and destroy though. Congrats on your milestone walks!
That's a lot of walks in a row. Congratulations. I'm content to stay put too now.:)
It's good to see a post from you pop up. Congratulations to you and Miss Millie on 1500. That's remarkable. Keep on walking. I would never tire of walking your paths. Green hills, forested paths, still waters... (well, then, of course, there's winter. ;-) ) Beautiful photos each and every one but that first one is my very favorite. I absolutely love that one quote - "The older I get, the more I see the gift of staying, not stuck, but rooted." That sums it up perfectly. There is always (will alway be?) some wanderlust engrained in me but the roots get deeper and deeper each and every day. (And I love Morning's Minion's comment about the changing gardens. So, so, true.)
You are an inspiration with the walking-I really need to start that again-enjoyed all the photos-hugs
Yes, peace is at home! Congratulations on this number, Mary! You really have stick-to-it-iveness! It's wonderful, and such a healthy thing for you and Millie. Sorry about the loss of your zinnias. I'm picturing in my mind, a rabbit chewing, a colorful flower hanging out of his mouth. :(
I love the flowers! Congratulations on consistency! I'm super impressed. I agree there is nothing better then watching the little changes in life!
I missed this post!! It's nice to see that you've posted and it sounds like you and Millie are still walking, still enjoying each day.
Sorry about the critters nibbling on your zinnias. I think Kitty keeps some of the night visitors away here but in any case I have my zinnias growing in a raised box. We have raccoons coming around but they mainly come for water which I make sure is available in 5 gallon pails.
Post a Comment