Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Ringing in the New...




My picture of the year comes not from my
picture files as it usually does, but from the world-wide-web.  How
can I not love this?  


Every year,  my New Year's Resolution has always been the same ~ To be more like my mother ~ which I have always thought would be just the grandest thing.  She possessed all those fine qualities I so admire in a person.  She was gentle and kind to everyone, but, at the same time, the hardest worker I have ever known.  And, my-oh-my, how she could sew!  For her, a day wasn't complete until "needle, thread and cloth should meet."

My dad, on the other hand, was staunch in principle and constitution, and a man of few words.  He wasn't one to sit down with to tell your troubles to, for he would just simply say, "You have to be tough in this world."  And, I can't count the number of times I heard him say, over the years, "We just have to do the best we can do."





This kept popping up on FB this morning, so I just had to share it here.  I surely would hate to mess up that first page, or any other page, for that matter.  I will, for sure, "Just do the best I can," on all 365 pages of the book, which certainly takes in a lot of territory.

I am reminded daily of how fragile our poor old earth is becoming.  I am definitely going to work harder all year long at leaving a smaller footprint as I trod through the days.  (I know, for sure, that there's one less large plastic detergent jug going to the landfill this week!)

As we prepare to ring out the old and ring in the new, I am thankful for all the blessings and happy memories of the passing year. It really has been a good year!  For all of you who have stopped by our little hill to leave happy messages, thank you!  I truly wish all of you a healthy and Happy New Year.

                                                                                                                 ~  Mary



16 comments:

jenclair said...

A lovely post! My mother and father were similar. Just this morning, I replied to a blog friend who was discussing a memoir--that we typically wait until it is too late to ask questions of our parents, to even think of all the questions we would ask.

I, too, am concerned about the fragile state of our earth. Small, incremental improvements from enough people can be the impetus for others. I'm continuing to make efforts and to hope that companies will begin a trend to more earth-friendly products and packaging. All of those things that years ago began making our lives easier...have had consequences that now must be addressed.

Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year--full of compassion, kindness, and love!

Quilting Babcia said...

Happy New Year to you Mary! Your featured image is perfect, reminding me of the warmth to come in spring when I can once again sit on the back porch listening to the birds as I read or stitch. Today's stitching will be done as the snow swirls outside, but our little farmhouse still has the warm glow of Christmas lights for one more day.

lil red hen said...

I think of my footprint every day now ;) My farmer is a lot like your dad: a man of few words, unless the conversation is about tractors or chickens. ;)

I've started working the most beautiful jigsaw puzzle!!

Happy New Year!!

Sam I Am...... said...

I love that picture as it reminds me of my Nitty girl. She was the Rottweiller I lost this past summer after 14 years together day and night, night and day. The woman sort of looks like me too except for the dress....I don't do dresses. LOL!
Your parents sound like "the salt of the earth" types. My parents were pretty cold but my Mother's side of the family were wonderful to me and gave me the love I wasn't getting at home. I had the best childhood of anyone because of them. The women in the family were very strong and I am grateful for them being such great role models. My uncles too were wonderful but unfortunately, I thought all men were like them but boy was I wrong! LOL! It was hard back then and they worked really hard to provide for their families. I wish you and yours the happiest and best of 2020! It has really been a blessing to get to know you!

Lady Locust said...

Happy New Year! And oh my what a kindly picture you chose. I love it.

Rose said...

That is sure the way to look at the new year...I have not really been on facebook much. I hope my new book is an easy, light read. LOL

Happy New Year!

Hootin Anni said...

Mary.Mary, Mary...this was a most wonderful post. Strong, poignant, and loving.

I wish for you, the best of 2020
I don't know if my comment is going thru. I get no moderation notice after clicking publish. If you're getting multiple posts from me, I apologize.

happyone said...

Sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful mother!!

I put that New Years quote up on my blog too. : )

Kim said...

All we can really ask of ourselves is to do the best we can. Love this post. Love reading about your sweet mother and her beautiful characteristics, and of your dad. I have always loved the thought of a new year and a new book with 365 fresh pages to write new stories with many new chapters. May your book of 2020 be one filled with many beautiful stories illustrated with gorgeous pictures.

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

Blessings for a Happy and Healthy New Year to you & your's!
~Carolyn

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Wishing you a blessed and peaceful new year!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Wishing you a blessed and peaceful new year!

Granny Marigold said...

I love everything about that picture!!

Happy New Year to you and your family!!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a marvelous comment about your Mother! She certainly sounds like a good example to pattern your life after. Happy New Year to you, Mary. I hope this is your best year!

Connie said...

What a lovely post and what a sweet tribute to your mother. Wishing you a wonderful 2020.
Connie:)

acorn hollow said...

Happy New year! A lovely tribute to your Mother. My dad was much the same.
a man of few words.
Cathy