Saturday, December 21, 2019

The Shortest Day...






What a beautiful first day of winter it was!  This shortest day of the year got its fair share of sunshine, anyway, which was just wonderful as we were out and about.

 Millie and I walked up to the top of the trail to watch the sun set and to mark in our memory the exact spot where we last saw it before it disappeared behind yonder hill.  Then, we headed home for we both had our work to do.




Millie's job is to watch the deer when they come every evening to graze in the front meadow  And, just in case one should get brave and venture into the yard, she there's to give it a friendly little chase.




And, my work for the day was, in part, to wrap the last of the Christmas presents.  The final two were the granddaughters' doll dresses.  One of the sweet little sewing room dolls offered again to model one of the new dresses. ( There's another one in blue, but we didn't get a picture of it.)  I added ruffles over the shoulders this time and just love this new look.  I had seen one made like this in a picture of a dress my mom had made for me when I was a girl.   I attached the ruffle to an inside facing, of sorts, which I brought to the outside and stitched.

Tasha Tudor once wrote, "When people take the time and care to make presents they give, they put into the gifts not only the materials needed, but also a part of themselves."  I couldn't agree more.





17 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I was hoping & checking often to make sure I didn't miss any of your creations...this one is splendiferous! A work of art. Your photos are beautiful.

HAPPY Christmas to you & Millie.

Leigh said...

What a great post! I forgot it was the shortest day; we were so busy with Christmas at the grandkids. Too bad it takes so long for the days to seem longer. :)

Sam I Am...... said...

I commented on the previous post about your sunset. The dresses turned out beautiful! Now you can relax and enjoy your Christmas! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

What a beautiful sunset! It was dark and rainy here yesterday, as well as today and probably tomorrow too. And warmer than it should be this time of year. But we need the rain, so we look at it as a gift. The doll dress with sweet ruffle sleeves is beautiful and I'm sure your granddaughters will love them. Wishing you and your's a Beautiful, Blessed & Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. ~Carolyn

jenclair said...

Beautiful sunrise. The detail you put in your dolls and their clothing is wonderful, and I love that quote from Tasha Tudor. Not only the time and care that goes into gifts one makes, but the pleasure of the process of the making, the thoughts and imaginings that work their way into the gift.

Morning's Minion said...

Your dolls and their clothing are all so beautifully crafted. In years past I often made clothing or new quilts for my children and young grandchildren [who are now all adults.]
Making things is a satisfaction like no other; we don't need more quilts and it now takes me longer to create one, one but I think there are several on my list of winter projects.

Lady Locust said...

Just beautiful! Most of our gifts are handmade this year. That doesn't happen every year, but worked out this year. And I agree with you and Tasha 😊
Merry Christmas 🎄

Granny Marigold said...

I love the picture of the silhouetted house against the sunset.
Good thing you have Millie guarding the place or heaven only knows what the deer would get up to.
In case you don't post again before Christmas I just want to wish you a very Happy Christmas!!

happyone said...

Beautiful sunset.
Sounds like you're all set for Christmas.

acorn hollow said...

a lovely sunset and what a wonderful gift for your grand. One of the gifts I remember as a child was a doll's suitcase filled with homemade dolls cloths and a dolls quilt from my grandmother.
merry Christmas!
Cathy

Rose said...

What a way to end the day...such a beautiful sunset.
Millie appears to be good at her job!

That is a beautiful dress...Love that material and that doll is just so sweet.

Rose said...

I wanted to come back and wish you a Merry Christmas...I hope the day is filled with joy.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Such a lovely way to end an evening walk with Millie, Mary. I agree with Tasha. You certainly make lovely doll creations. Just beautiful! I love the additions at the shoulder.

Kim said...

I so agree with you the thought that with every handmade gift there is a part of the person who has fashioned it filled with great care and love. The dress is gorgeous and the ruffles at the sleeves are the perfect finishing touch. Oh my, to witness the glory of nature in that sunset is a most wonderful thing. Each sunrise and sunset is unique. May your Christmas be a beautiful one. May a beautiful sunrise gift you on Christmas morn.

Quilting Babcia said...

We makers understand the love that goes into all handmade creations, and it's especially gratifying when the younger generations of the family "get it" too. I hope to instill that in all my grandchildren, that when they wrap up in a quilt made by grandma it's like getting a big warm hug even when we're separated by hundreds of miles. Your newest dress is so lovely, I'm imagining your little sewing room model will be unhappy at the prospect of having to give it up soon.

Bonnie K said...

I love the photo of the cabin in the setting sun. Millie looks very diligent.

Leigh said...

Good dog, Millie! A lovely series of photographs.