Saturday, April 4, 2020

Reflecting Back on a Thousand Days....








It is a big day here at Hill Top for Millie and me.  It really is... even though there was no big fanfare with flags waving and children cheering, as I had thought there might be. A Thousand Walks in A Thousand Days!   The children and grandchildren had planned to be here, but..... "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray,"  as all of you so very well know.


It was not always an easy thing to go out in all kinds of weather, but I loved it all...(Well, except for the time we were caught in a thunder storm.)  It's my favorite place to be here on Hill Top where I can watch the seasons come and go.  I have seen the miracles of nature thousands of times in my lifetime, and as I always say, these miracles are best seen on foot...one step at a time...right in the midst of them all!



"The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn..."

~Robert Browning


The dogwoods are dotting the hillsides white now.   In celebration of our special day, Millie and I walked down to the old place awhile ago to see the bleeding hearts and to step along a petal-strewn old rock pathway.  Yes, the year is definitely at her spring, and how beautiful she is...








Now, reflecting back over the thousand days, there are so many memories.  I went through some of my photo files and pulled out a few of my favorites, but only a few for there are so many.  I learned right away that it is a good idea to always have my camera at hand for one never knows what surprise picture is waiting just around the bend.  I have included a few of those surprises here.

I had thought I might take a day off tomorrow, but no! We will go!   The calendar entry will read, 1001.  I know one day I will have to give all of this up and leave the trails behind for those who will follow.  In the years to come, if they should see a ghost walking these trails, they can be sure it is me.
























Happy Trails to you!  Take care!

Mary


23 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Congratulations on achieving your 1000th walk in as many days. That is truly an amazing feat. The two of you have walked in all kinds of weather and racked up who knows how many miles.
I enjoyed the pictures but the last one brought a question... Are those not wild pigs? And aren't wild pigs very dangerous?

lil red hen said...

WOW!!! Lots of steps have been taken! Congratulations! I loved the picture of the petal covered stones.

Kim said...

Way down here at the bottom of the world, I am cheering and clapping for you on this momentous occasion. Gosh, to walk every day for a thousand days, in all types of weather is an amazing feat. Oh, the glorious sights you have discovered just around the bend; and enjoyed every day. So many photos for us to be thrilled by. Your little Hill Top place is blessed. Well done Mary....and well done Millie.

Lady Locust said...

Congrats on your 1000 mark 👍💐😊. What an accomplishment- and filled with beauty.

Hill Top Post said...

Granny Marigold. Yes, those ornery-looking critters are feral hogs. I see them often, but they are more afraid of me than I am of them. The ones I fear the most are the sows with young piglets.

GretchenJoanna said...

How poignant! At least the most important celebrants at this commemoration were present - and we who read and look at your telling photos can rejoice with you.

Thank you for sharing your fine accomplishment. It really is inspiring. I wasn't here at the beginning, so I don't know if three years ago you set out to walk 1000 days, or if you set the goal along the way...?

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

Congrats, Mary! This is an amazing, wonderful accomplishment! As always I love your photos. You should have all 1000 of them made into a book.
Blessings!
~Carolyn

Quilting Babcia said...

Congratulations on your 1000th day of trekking along your chosen path. You are an inspiration to many of us! May you and Millie reach your second 1000 days in fit and happy shape!

Rose said...

Flags waving here....congratulations on the 1000 days! I had been wondering what you were up to. I figured finishing the dolls. But still, I was glad to see this post. You got some super shots here. I love that Heron on ice...and the one before it and the one before it...etc. Each one has a lot of appeal.

nookworm said...

Oh my Goodness! What a challenge and successful follow-through of taking 1,000 walks and I KNOW you have had joyful and wonderful sights while you walked on. Congratulations! It is a wonder, just like the change of seasons and nature. They must be your definite motivation. I really like the canoe resting on the bank of the pond which is full of reflections and autumn beauty.

happyone said...

That is a lot of days in a row to go walking. Congratulations on quite an amazing accomplishment!!
I thought the same thing that GrannyM said about the last picture!

Hootin Anni said...

You don't know how happy I am to see your post. Such an awesome feat. My heartfelt congratulations to you both! And such beautiful scenes you've shared.

Prims By The Water said...

Kudos on your journey of walking! Loved looking at all of your photos. Janice

Leigh said...

Beautiful! And congratulations on all those faithful walks! Nicely documented too.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Wowza, Mary! How wonderful your commitment to walk has lead you to 1000 walks. Congratulations on a very healthy milestone. Love your reflections on this great accomplishment.

Hill Top Post said...

Well...thanks to all of you who turned out to help Millie and me celebrate our big day! I loved having all of you here! I hope to see you again in 999 days! Ha! Ha!

jenclair said...

You have such a wonderful place to walk and the perfect companion. Congratulations!

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Congratulations! We walk almost every morning but there are always those exceptions which keep us from attaining such a record performance-- especially doctor visits, shopping trips and heavy rain. Stay safe!

Henny Penny said...

Congratulations! That is a lot of walks. You and Millie have seen some beautiful sites along the way...and those pigs! They Look like twins. That would have scared me to death.

Henny Penny said...

Hey, it's me again. I was looking back at your post and noticed your followers...I was missing from the list! No wonder your posts never show up on my blog. I'm a little slow with most things. :)

Bonnie K said...

Congratulations! Thanks is a feat to be proud of. Did you walk the same distance every day? It is amazing how quickly one gets into a routine. I have been doing yoga every night (except Friday nights) since November. I couldn't miss a night if I wanted. I don't know if I could walk 1,000 days, but will certainly try after I retire. I wish your family could have been there.

Jean Tuthill said...

Congratulations on your 1000 days of walks. Kudos to Millie also. Your pictures are so beautiful! Love the doll's new dress that you made. I'll be looking forward to see it on her when she's ready. Have a wonderful Easter!

Rose said...

I hope you had a Happy Easter!