Monday, May 25, 2020

Rabbit Holes and Baby Zinnias...




 If only I had known, I would have closed the garden gate.  But, how could I know that there was a burrow underneath the tall verbena, and that in that burrow was a little family of baby rabbits?

I had left the old gate open, so Millie had followed me into the garden.  She's never far from me, so I thought nothing of it. I went about my work and she went about hers, which was to go sniffing here and there about the garden.  When I glanced up from whatever I was doing, it was just in time to see her pull two young rabbits from the hole ~  two perfectly adorable little rabbits with the biggest brightest eyes ever.  There was nothing I could do.  Millie ate them.  She is part dingo, and dingoes will be dingoes.  My son said I should thank her, but I was sad.  I did not scold her.  Why, that would be like scolding me for eating a BLT sandwich.







The Sunny Little Garden continues to be a work in progress.  I am pleased to see that the wooly mulleins which I brought in from around the place, are doing well.  I took three and left three in the wild to propagate freely.

Since this picture of the garden was taken, one hundred seven zinnias (Burpeeana Giants, the flowers of  which remind me a lot of those of Bee Balm)  have been added to the outside borders of the garden.  These are my babies that I have nurtured from seed purchased at a local farm supply store. I had dutifully carried them outside by day and back inside by night.  That is, until I got the idea to just leave them in the bed of the side-by-side.  It was simple ~ back it out into the sunshine by day, and pull it back inside at night.  It worked, and the little seedlings thrived.

By the time I had them all transplanted into the rich garden soil, by bending, squatting, and even crawling,  I was wishing I hadn't started so many.  Maybe next year I will just plant one flat.  :~)  But, a flat of foxgloves would be nice, wouldn't it?

If you look closely you might notice that a few of the little plants have been nibbled on.  Now, I wonder what could have done that?  :~/





Lately, I have also been working in the borders around the house.  I had been thinking that I needed something to bring a little life to the beds, something with more energy and movement. Having become somewhat obsessed with the Butterfly Bush, not only for its showy and fragrant flowers, but also because of its attraction to butterflies, I asked myself, "Why can't I have Butterfly Bushes all over the place?"

"At the side of the everlasting Why, is a yes, and a yes, and a yes."

~E.M. Forster

So, that's how I came to have eight more Butterfly Bushes, and I already had five.  I love the way the arching branches, with clusters of beautiful blue blossoms, blow in the wind.  (Nanho Blue Butterfly Bush).










We have been getting lots of rain here, which is a blessing, I know.  Haying has gotten off to a slow start, however, because of it, but the extra moisture will pay dividends later on, I am sure.  We did finally get one field in rolls, so haying season is officially here.

There are puddles of water all over the place,   This pair of mallards, undoubtedly on their way farther north, thought this puddle looked inviting.










Underneath this tree is our shady spot where Millie and I take refuge from the heat.  I can think of all sorts of things I would like to do here on a hot summer's day.





So, from my shady place to yours, I hope your lovely month of May has been good.  Take care.

Mary


16 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

I rescued a young rabbit from the jaws of Nellie-Cat this morning--not yet dead, but I'm not sure it can live. I carried it to the edge of the wooded ravine and left it. I don't want to know!
In Wyoming, our late, great Border Collie, Higgins, had a terrible knack for finding nests of baby rabbits hidden in the sand. As you say, there was nothing we could do; one of the grim realities of animal life and death.
I am somewhat over-whelmed with flats of plants that need a home--where do I put them?

Rose said...

And you leave me wondering why I don't have at least one Butterfly Bush...it is simply crazy not to. Plus, I want another hibiscus. You have been busy, woman! You make me feel like a lazybones which I admit to be these days. I did not used to be though.

I had never thought about bringing mullein home and planting it, but you know I always pause and admire it. So I should bring some here...it would grow fine.

Granny Marigold said...

You had a brilliant idea for getting your many many zinnia plantlets out for the day and in for night. !!
You have a lovely spot to sit in the shade with Millie. BTW, do the two of you still go on your daily walks?

happyone said...

Your gardens are just beautiful. Love them.
I would have been sad too about the little bunnies, but Millie is just doing what comes naturally.

Prims By The Water said...

Millie is doing what a dog would. Our Cocker Spaniel would bring rabbits and birds to us. He even ate our turtle. A big undertaking on your seedlings, but it will be beautiful once they all bloom! Janice

Hill Top Post said...

Thanks to all for the comments. I much prefer Blogger's embedded comment form so I can reply back to each comment. However, since I changed to this form, I have gotten no spam comments.

Granny Marigold ~ I am still walking every day. Today was #1,051. I have had to dodge a lot of rain showers lately.

Sandra ~ Those old thirty year old plants can have some massive root systems, for sure. I took out a lot of older azalea that were covered in black mold. What a job! Your flowers should do well now that the days are getting so long.

Rose, I read that some butterfly bushes can be invasive, but since I have never seen a single seedling, I assume this species is non-invasive. This shrub is not a host plant for butterflies because caterpillars do not feed on it, but it only provides nectar to adult butterflies. I do have milkweed but am thinking I need to plant more host plants.

Henny Penny said...

Your garden is so pretty! I love how you use the old tubs and buckets; some look like granite ware for potting up plants. I do the same. I can't pass up old granite ware...even with a hole in the bottom. So am I, crazy about butterfly bushes, but for some reason the blooms on mine never get big. Maybe too much shade in the yard? Millie found food in the garden. :) Most dogs would have done the same thing. Well, it's unbelievable, but the wild rabbit I raised a couple of years ago still comes back here to eat. It's the sweetest thing. He hops right up to my feet when I go out with the bucket of feed. Eli and Weetie walk right past him. Somehow they know. Didn't mean to go on and on.

Hootin Anni said...

I'll take the embedded comment form any day. I just like being able to reply. Mary, Mary, how does your garden grow? (Couldn't help myself) I love the mixture of colors with zinnias and they're so hardy. And yes, the fragrance of the butterfly bush. Millie probably did a good thing...you'll be thanking her with all you are planting! Bunnies can ruin a crop in no time.
I'll sit in the shade with you two and we can chat the hours away.

Kim said...

I suppose Millie just does what a dog does. My Maisie would've done the same thing. I love buddleia bushes. One can never have too many of them. I think at last count we have ten down here. Your zinnias are going to look fabulous in a little while. I can see in my mind's eye the explosion of colour of these cheery flowers, and of course the hummingbirds will love them. About the foxgloves...a very good idea to have oodles of them in your garden. There is something magical about foxgloves. Love the rickety and rustic gate, too.

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, I used to have the same problem in the spring. My Little Annie girl (miniature dachshund) would always find the rabbit nests and it was awful....it really upset me but it is their nature and I'm sure she thought she was protecting me or doing me a favor. I saw a mama rabbit out the other day in the yard and I thought.....no more worries for you or your little ones as Annie isn't here this spring. I miss her and my Nitty girl so much.
Your gardens are lovely! I have that terrible Bermuda Grass here.....one of Top Ten noxious weeds. I had no idea and it prevents me from landscaping and gardening in-ground. I have tried landscape fabric, old rugs, cardboard.....nothing will stop it from taking root everywhere. Your flowers are lovely and your shady spot. I have mullein that comes up here every year and it gets huge! I forget what it is used for now. You've worked hard and it shows! Stay well!

jenclair said...

I love the combination of the open fields and pastures and the cozy garden spots. I'm not sure exactly why fields with rolls of hay appeal to me, but each year they gladden my eye. Maybe it is the contrast of the flat and the round, and around here the fields often edged in by trees. There is also something so...basic...about these fields. Growth, harvest, round, flat, green gold. Best to you and Millie in your lovely shady spot!

nookworm said...

Nature rules! I envy your ability to plant and grow garden flowers. My time came a few years ago to just admire others' beautiful results after their efforts. Your photos tell me how much you enjoy your gardens. I would love to see the zinnias!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Sad about the bunnies, but I suppose it will be better for your garden in the long run. Just too bad you had to witness it! Your garden is looking lovely and I envy your lovely shaded seating area.

lil red hen said...

That's a lot of baby zinnias!! You'll have beauty all around when they grow to bloom. One day there were two rabbits in the front yard. I tried to scare them away but they just looked at me. Then I noticed wet rabbit tracks on the porch! I guess they just hopped right up the steps and made themselves at home.

Bonnie K said...

Your garden looks fabulous!

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

I have never been a gardener but wish I could have more flowers and a vegetable garden. Of course growing up, we all worked so hard in the gardens that I never wanted to do any of that kind of work when I grew up. The heat was always so unbearable and hard on me. It still is, but I am old enough now to understand the importance of gardening and growing your own food and enjoying the flowers! Our property was once a cow pasture and the ground is so incredibly hard and compacted that it is almost impossible to dig a hold of any kind. Yet, the grass and weeds grow like there is no tomorrow. LOL!