Monday, August 31, 2020

Day 1,149












It was a wet walk over the hill this morning.  My umbrella was up and my boots were on, but I was hardly aware of a single step on this last trek of the summer* for my head was wrapped around other thoughts - thoughts of dolls and dresses and of bonnets and bows. (Well, I did peer out from underneath my umbrella when the Great Blue Heron went squawking away from the pond, just as it always does.) I am just so ready to finish the dolls that have waited so patiently all summer long while I toiled long hours at other jobs.

 * Wait, wait, wait...  I really know that summer's last day will officially be on the 21st, but I am ending my summer right now!  I have had enough of it!    



Creating hair for these little ladies is always a challenge for me.  I put hair on...  Then take it off...  I part it down the middle....  Then on the side...  I tie it with a pretty bow...  Then paint the bow...  Until, I just give up and let it be...  I do the same thing with my own hair...   Oh, well....  It is what it is...





But, some dolls just seem to like best wearing a pretty bonnet....



And, every pretty dress just must have a pretty petticoat underneath....  And, pantaloons, too.... 





Braids in the hair are always nice...  No matter what color is the hair...





And, other dolls just seem to be born to be blonde...  And, often times, they want pretty ribbons tied around their hair....





Surely, I got kind of carried away with the pretty bow for this one. ( I later took it off.)  She is so like Bernadette Banner, don't you think?  I can just see her walking the streets of Manhattan in this lovely skirt and long tunic.  If you haven't watched Bernadette's YouTube Channel, you might enjoy her too.  I love her.  She inspires me to no end!  And, she has no grass to mow! (Not that I have anything against grass for it's pretty important for us here at Hill Top!)






This lovely dress made of walnut-dyed linen is all hand sewn.  I may never wash it for fear the beautiful color will fade.  



The bow in this doll's hair was originally blue.  I painted it at least three times and ended up with this animal skin look.  It will be hard for me not to give at least a couple of the newest dolls a painted bow in their hair.  But, I must keep in mind that once it's there, there's no taking it off.  And, it doesn't lend itself well to a hat or bonnet worn over it.  I will think about that...







The pictures along the trail were taken this rainy morning... walk # 1,149 without a miss.  I am not a traveler of faraway places and enjoy this daily walk with my devoted partner, Millie.  She's somewhere up ahead here, having herself a merry time walking in the rain.  

Take care!  And, thanks for stopping by the Hill! 

Mary

27 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Your dolls are gorgeous! They look so sincere. We could use some of that rain if you care to share. Supposed to be back up to 100 by end of week - ugh. I too am ready for autumn.
Tootles

lil red hen said...

All I can think to say is a great big WOW!!!

Hootin Anni said...

Your dolls are certainly loved by me!! Wow. I love the dyed color (the one you're afraid to wash)...it's a oerfect shade. And such a besutiful walk that you and Millie took us on. (I too, would rather "travel" in footsteps near home.

Morning's Minion said...

Although I've done a lot of dressmaking and quilt making, I've never done anything in miniature such as the exquisite costumes for your dolls. I enjoy seeing the details and the fabrics you use.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh. I think I'm in love. Seriously - how I wish I could be a fly on your wall and watch you create these amazing little people. It would be SO hard to have to pick a favourite although the one with the wee bonnet might narrowly come out ahead. As I said - oh....

lil red hen said...

Coming back with another word: I love the little fella peeking over his mother's shoulder; such a sweet expression he has.

Hill Top Post said...

Thank you all for your dear sweet comments. I have read them over and over and love them all. Now, I must buckle down and light the candle on both ends in order to finish the new dolls before Christmas! : Lil Red Hen, as for the sweet little wee one, he probably grew up to be a fierce warrior like Crazy Horse or Sitting Bull at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. :~) He is a wee one ~ only about three inches tall.

Granny Marigold said...

I agree totally. Summer ends today and Fall starts on September first!!

jenclair said...

What a wonderful world of sparkly spiderwebs, daily walk, and dolls who look as if they have stories to tell!

acorn hollow said...

Your dolls are so sweet and seem to be sitting there waiting for you to return. That is a lot of walks in a row good for you and your walking partern.
Cathy

Rose said...

OH, the dolls! I cannot say enough about them. They are absolutely wonderful. You are such an artist! They are beyond beautiful...

I love your pics from your walk, also. Specially the trail through the woods.

nookworm said...

Your creativity and talent are mind-boggling! Determination fits in there as well, but the imagination of the dolls' personalities is so very special! You have magic in your mind and fingers!

Megan Schetsche said...

Love, love, LOVE your dolls’ hair and their bows and bonnets.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your sweet dolls definitely will love spending their first Christmas with their new finery and your lovely setting. They have such unique personalities. Love your handmade dyed linen outfit. Some of our hummingbirds have finally departed, one was just at the window in the living room hovering and peeking inside as if to say "see you next spring."

happyone said...

That sure is a lot of days to walk without missing a one!!
Not ready for fall here yet. Summer weather here is like one long spring and I'm not ready to say good bye to that quite yet. :)

Prims By The Water said...

Your dolls are simply amazing! Janice

The Hermits said...

I try to be mindful of each season and enjoy it for the delights it offers, but I'm ready for cooler temperatures too!

Your dolly hair styles gallery is wonderful. I'm glad you get to go back to working with them! Hug Millie for me.

Kim said...

I too would love to sit in your comfy leather chair and watch you play with pretty ribbons, hair, petticoats, pantaloons; oh, so, so many things. Each one of your dolls is indeed exquisite. Mary, you are indeed an artiste who knows no bounds! I catch my breath when I gaze upon each of your dolls. I am off to acquaint myself with Bernadette Banner.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I'm sorry I missed you and I've been wanting to come over and tell you that Blogger won't let me edit my blog anymore so I had to start a new one. I'm now www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com
Your dolls are so realistic I thought that first picture was a real child! They are so beautiful I love the one with the braids. I'm glad we got the rain because I don't like fire danger but I feel bad for those who experienced flooding and of course, my heart goes out to those who lost so much in Laura.
Your previous post about the hummers....I feel the same way! My little ones who sat on the hangar each and every day (several took turns or shifts guarding "their" feeder.....they've left already but there are still plenty here but probably not for long. It was a feeding frenzy the other day. I always feel so sad and shed tears too when they aren't around anymore. It is such a miraculous thing that as tiny as they are they can travel so far. But like you said, they don't all make it and you wonder if you'll see them the next year. There were 2 that I definitely could recognize and they have left already. I wish them well and will miss them but glad fall is here. Take care and enjoy your "making"!

Debra said...

I am thrilled to find your blog-I quit blogging a while back and had been following you . But I tried looking for you under your old blog name and couldn't find you. I'm so ha[[y to see your wonderful dolls again, and 'follow along' your walks.

Debra said...

Hello again-just wanted to tell you I've thought of you often as well! I felt so badly just quiting blogging and not explaining myself. I missed blogging, missed all my friends and the sweet community feeling it gave me. I am so very pleased I found you again-I truly believe it was a "God thing!"

Henny Penny said...

I came looking for your blog to see if I had missed a post. I don't understand why my comment is not here. I did read this post and leave a comment? Probably something dumb I did. I have caught myself fixing to "exit" instead of hitting "publish".

I am so done with summer too and looking forward to working outside in COOL weather.

Your sweet dolls take my breath away. I don't see how anyone can make a doll that looks so real. You are so talented. and all your dolls look different and beautiful.

Inger said...

Such thoughtful faces on those dolls. Thanks for taking the time to post so many and also thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jean Tuthill said...

Your dolls are so perfect. I love the way you have made their hair and the clothes are so beautiful. I love going on your walks with you and Millie. Beautiful photos!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Wonderful on how many walks you have taken! Your dolls are so wonderful crafterd! You should have a gallery show for everyone to enjoy looking at them!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Wow! Your dolls are absolutely awesome!

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

More beauties! I wish I had some of your wonderful talents! It seems you can do pretty much anything.
Blessings!
~Carolyn