Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Millie and I get caught up in migration...

 






A couple of cool mornings was cause enough to bring out an old jacket to slip on before heading out for our morning jaunt over the hill.  I have noticed that Millie's coat is already getting a bit thicker, so she was happy for the briskness of the days.  I often tell her how much I adore that beautiful coat she's always wearing, and how much I would like to have one to match. I think I should wear it every day too.   



There are muscadines aplenty along the trails we walk, on which I, along with a lot of other forest critters, always stop to browse.  I will soon be missing this morning treat for there are scanty few remaining.  It was, in fact, a poor crop this year - so poor that there will be no oh-so-delicious muscadine jelly this winter.  

 


The woods is filled these mornings with what remains of yesterday's webs.  I wonder where the spiders have gone...

For a few weeks, we have had somewhat of a living science expo going on just outside our bathroom window.  Dan thinks spiders are creepy, and that I should have swept this one, web and all, away.  She was rather a disappointment compared to last years Golden Orb Weaver that took up residence at the hummingbird shed, but none the less, this year's weaver did put on some spectacular shows.  She is gone now, of her own free will, but left behind under the eave of the house four large egg sacks, which I have carefully removed and carried away to the woods.  She did her job, and did it well.




Maybe, you remember last year's Golden Orb Weaver that I photographed and wrote about at that time.  I still think she was, in the ways of spiders, beautiful.  



Last year's Golden Orb Weaver...

 This morning was one of those mornings in which one just can't seem to get enough of.  I wanted to keep right on walking and taking in the loveliness of the day.  The thing of it was, Millie and I had gotten caught up in migration...Monarch Butterfly Migration.  Those loveliest of lovely creatures were flitting by right and left, intent on flying south, and, only occasionally, stopping at some inviting flower to refresh themselves.  I was able to capture a couple of these magnificent creatures at work in my old zinnia garden.  Oh, what beauties!  How I remember the Monarch paintings the kids at school used to do.  Some of them really got carried away with all those dots! 





With all probability, we have rolled our last bale of hay for this year.  I didn't get a picture of it, but it certainly looked a lot like last year's final bale, minus the coyote. ( Millie and I have seen a couple of young black coyotes that look a lot like the one in the picture, undoubtedly some kin since black ones are somewhat rare.  Millie chases them. I tell her that she shouldn't do that since they are her distant relatives.) 





As of this morning, there were still around a half-dozen little hummingbirds here, lapping sweet sauce at the feeders as though their life depended on it.  And, well it may!  These remaining little jewels are just that...little...and do, in fact, look like jewels... bright shining green emeralds.  I looked at them long and hard this morning and have made myself believe that they were born in the northern plains of North Dakota, and that they have traveled long and hard to get here.  (Right, Sandra!)   





Photo was taken by my son when he was working in the oil fields of North Dakota.



Take care and happy trails to you all.  Next up is October!  Wow!  I surely am looking forward to that, and I am sure you are too!

                                                                       Mary

18 comments:

jenclair said...

Wonderful photos--the spider web and the Golden Orb Weaver delight me. My pics of orb weavers and webs never look like much. The hummingbirds are still here as well, and I'm enjoying their rather frantic flitting from flower to flower.

Lady Locust said...

Oh to take a lovely walk and soak up the last traces of summer as autumn invites herself in:-)

Kim said...

How wonderful to get caught up in a Monarch Butterfly Migration. I can just imagine the beauty of it all. Very proper that Millie starts to don her warm coat....it is striking.

Quilting Babcia said...

Muscadine grapes are something I've yet to taste, from the descriptions I've read I imagine them to taste somewhat like the highbush cranberries of Alaska, kind of a musky flavor but probably with not quite as much acidity. Fall is such a wonderful season though so very fleeting. Our hummingbirds have finally departed, the brown heads of the sunflowers continue to nourish the remaining goldfinches.

acorn hollow said...

I am with Dan creepy I would get rid of them! ick I know they have a purpose but I don't want to see it lol. Nice walk
Cathy

Morning's Minion said...

Hummingbirds still here at the feeders as of Wednesday evening [30 Sept]. Adult males aren't noticeable among them--I've read that they are the first of a group to leave.
When we lived for several years at the other side of the county, 'garden spiders' [argiope aurantia] regularly made webs near the front porch where they were easy to observe. Not sure if they are the same as the spiders you mention[?]
I will miss my flowers and the summer birds, but I think I'm ready for the change of season; unfinished quilts are calling me.

happyone said...

Wonderful captures of the spiders and the butterflies are beautiful.

Granny Marigold said...

Such lovely pictures. That first one is absolutely gorgeous.
Then there's Millie...what a handsome dog she is.
I do remember last year's spider. I imagine that they go off and die after they lay their eggs but maybe I'm wrong. Webs are everywhere now and one learns to watch for those eye-level ones.
I'm so envious of your good fortune seeing Monarch Butterflies migrating. What a sight that must be. One you won't forget.

Hootin Anni said...

Black coyote? I didn't know. Hmmmm, bet they're pretty. I love your walks you two take...the photos & narration. The butterflies-so pretty.

MadSnapper said...

I am not a lover of spiders but I do agree that some of them are just beautiful and that they're all quite amazing and the job that they do and the webs that they make are really so very interesting. I leave them alone outside but if they come in the house they're dead meat. I just can't have them crawling around in the house but I have in the past few months let a few of the smaller ones live on because they eat bugs. Yes I do agree that they probably are distant relatives of Millie & big boy. What a wonderful day to take a walk and I cannot imagine how beautiful it was with all the butterflies. A few years ago we had a swarm of orange butterflies right now I can't think of the name but they came in the yard and we were walking in clouds of butterflies and it was absolutely amazing

Debra said...

Your beautiful post is inspiring. The photos are works of art. Your lovely dog wears a coat of beautiful colors and patterns. Our hummers have left-now we will see some fly-bys perhaps. I miss them when they go!

nookworm said...

It seems that Autumn suddenly appeared here and didn't come in silently! The hummingbirds and the Canada geese have departed from this area. It seems earlier than usual. Spiders are always fascinating and their webs are wonderful creations. Millie's coat is striking! Now it is time to get ours out of the closets!

Rose said...

Autumn is in the arrival stage here, too. When out the beauty makes me want to cry it is just so wonderful It is also the feeling in the air, and the lighting.

We had one of the orb weavers one year and my blog has a lot of her pics. I so loved her. I have had them before her, but none since her. I named her Mable...

I love the pic your son took. That is another type of picture I just love. I go in spells of looking up old images. I know this isn't old, but it speaks to me of old things, of times past.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Monarchs are absolutely incredible creatures when you stop and think about the sheer magnitude of their migration patterns. You captured great photos of them AND the spiders!

Prims By The Water said...

Getting brisk here too in Michigan. Me no like spiders either. Janice

Gretchen Joanna said...

If I saw that many butterflies around me.... I think my heart would be butter-fluttering fast! The most Monarchs I ever saw were last year, the ones that I raised from eggs myself. If they produced any descendants, they never made it back. :-(

Happy October!!

Henny Penny said...

I came looking for you this morning and glad to find your post from 2 weeks ago. Every word and every picture were so enjoyable. We have some of the most amazing spiders this fall. One just outside my kitchen window that I love to watch. Dan likes to swat them with his cap which sends the spider flying out across the yard. I hate walking into a web, but I do enjoy watching the spiders work, and I can't kill them. Millie does have the most beautiful coat. That black coyote is amazing. Such a good post.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What awesome photos on such a beautiful morning. Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories with us. I felt just like I was on the walk, too.