Sunday, January 24, 2021

January with the dolls..

 

Photo from the internet.  (Isn't she lovely...)

Before I take up the brush, here's a quick update on the dolls.  As seen in the picture below, all five dolls now have their hair, which is a major accomplishment for me.  The hair, like the second skin that was applied over the clay, is created from cloth.  How lucky I was to stumble onto just the right cloth that worked really well when soaked in paste.  



When I asked Dan, my closest art critic, which doll was best, he was at first reluctant to answer, but finally chose Riata Millwright.  He said he liked her because she looked so happy.

You may recall from a previous post, that she was the last doll I finished at a time when I had so many other jobs to do, and besides, was just really getting  tired of  sculpting dolls.  I remember saying that I didn't feel that I even knew this doll.  Well, I now do know her, and Dan chose well for she is a real little darling, for sure.

Well, if all goes well, I will soon be dressing up in my painting garb, which looks similar to the picture above (Ha, Ha...I wish!), and will take up my brush.  Hopefully, with the luck of the spirits, my hands won't shake and my patience will be great.  And, it is my promise that the next time the dolls are posted here, they will be out of those dang rusty cans!  :~)


Until next time, take care!

                             Mary










22 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Riata Millwright is lovely, no doubt about it. I can't make out the name of the doll next to her. Butte?? If so how do you pronounce her name. That's important because I'd hate to mispronounce it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I actually kind of like those rusty cans - they speak to the possibilities of what's to come and that's interesting. I think I've said before that I truly wish I could be a little fly (well, maybe a ladybug!) on your wall and watch how you make these!

Quilting Babcia said...

I just love to watch these babies come to life!

lil red hen said...

Dan made a good choice! I do like her expression; it's so different from your earlier dolls. I'm looking forward to seeing how you dress them.

Hill Top Post said...

G.M. ~ That doll is Linnie Butts. That was my g-g-grandmother's maiden name. It is pronounced just like you would think.

Hill Top Post said...

lil red hen ~ I loved the story of your little coat. Your mother was such a wonderful mother, so patient and kind. Can't you imagine how long it will take for me to completely dress these girls? I also want to make each one a pair of shoes.

Rose said...

They are beautiful...I cannot pick a favorite. The eyes just look so real.

Henny Penny said...

All the girls have lovely hair now. Oh, they all turned out so pretty. Don't know how you do it, but it simply amazing. Your are so talented. Riata does have such a sweet little face.

Bonnie K said...

It is fun to watch the process!

Prims By The Water said...

Your dolls are AMAZING! Janice

acorn hollow said...

You surly have been busy! Lovely dolls
Cathy

Hootin Anni said...

What talent. Not only making them, but creating personalities also!!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Your work on your dolls is always so amazing! They will all be lovely when you are finished and I cant wait to see. I love the photo at the beginning of your post.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love the artist photo! Your dolls and your work are so amazing! Cant wait to see them when you finish!

jenclair said...

Each one is charming! Riata's tentative smile is wonderful...as if she is thinking of something pleasant or someone she loves.

happyone said...

I agree, I like that one best too.
They are all fantastic though. You have such a talent.

Inger said...

Amazing!!!

Gretchen Joanna said...

I feel that I could stare at them for hours, and that they would surely inspire me to write the stories of their lives, in which their personalities would shine and bring the best drama to the plot.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Good heavens, I thought the cans were their bodies. And thought it beautiful! They are so lovely. More than lovely; moving and magical.

Debra said...

The dolls are amazing works of art and love. I need to take lessons from you. I also love the can-bodies-I know your handmade bodies will be perfect, but there's something interesting about the cans too.
You are painting too? I'm anxious to see!!

kat said...

These little folk have such tender gentle faces, I look forward to seeing where they tell you to take them

nookworm said...

Your magic fingers have really brought the girls to life. Their personalities are magical! (You had help.) Please dress them soon.