Wednesday, August 31, 2022

...the equal of any brush trembling with fever and emotion.

 










"Make your studio a sanctuary for inspiration." ~Agnes Martin.

 So, I brought the old canvas decoys from the Garden Shanty.  I like them here.  I sketched them, of course.  However, this little room is no studio.  It is a mere 10 x 11 sewing cubby.  It is close to the kitchen so I can go running when needs be.  (And, when Hubby comes in as though I have been laboring all morning over a hot, steaming cookstove. ;~)


"Do the best you can until you know better.
Then when you know better, do better."

~Maya Angelou




These little Jude Hill inspired nine-patch blocks keep popping up.  My needle is threaded.  The "trickster" here in the sewing cubby needs a place to hide.






"...period imperfection, before the days of everything being standardized and mechanized and automated, everything's done by humans by human hands, nothing is perfect and imperfection is part of history."  ~Bernadette Banner


If my count is correct there are now eighty-three finished (or almost finished) pages in the new little journal.  This little book is already not wanting to close properly because of the slightly ruffled pages caused by water coloring many of them.  (Yes, I know I should have used proper paper for this, but I wanted to use this little book because it was a gift from my granddaughter) so I have been thinking that perhaps I shall have to write more and draw less which might also be equally inspiring.  Beautiful expression with words is one of the finest forms of art, for which the great painter Vincent Van Gogh would readily agree.  He once wrote on this subject in letters to his brother.

"To put it no higher, my God how beautiful that is.  Shakespeare - who is as mysterious as he? - his language and his way of doing things are surely the equal of any brush trembling with fever and emotion."   

And, with that I decided to try recreating Van Gogh's Self Portrait here in my journal.  If I had known the sketch would turn out so well, I would have moved it farther out onto the page, so his entire hat was visible.  I was so excited about him that my brush almost trembled with fever and emotion.  :~)





August ~ almost out the door.  It has been a month of beautiful sunsets, for sure.  And we'll not be forgetting here on the hill that this month brought us much needed rain, for which we are so thankful.  





21 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Mary, This is such a beautiful post, I love the art and writings on your journal pages-you are a gifted artist-hugs.
loving this last photo of the sunset-gorgeous and breathtaking
Hugs from the lake

Saundra said...

Appears even your dog is appreciating the sunset...uh, or is he eyeing the cow which will soon be herded back? Beautiful art and lovely words.

Inger said...

Being creative makes us happy, I think. And you certainly are. I'm glad you got some rain. I think it rained once this summer here in the California mountains.

Granny Marigold said...

It looks for all the world as if Millie is standing and enjoying the sunset
( instead of what looks like a cow in the distance).
I like the way Van Gogh seems to be leaning on the wall or maybe just coming into the picture.
That's a great quote by Maya Angelou

Lady Locust said...

Oh I love that you are making a book of words and pictures. How very special and perhaps someday, it can be gifted back to granddaughter - how very special that would be. Wish I had some such thing from my Gma. 💕

Hootin Anni said...

I think the use of paint may just add to the "character" of your journal. Perhaps colored pencils? Just a thought. Words are the art of poets and novelists. You will soon be satisfied with whatever you choose to do.

Pretty photo to end.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Of course you know I love quotes and Maya Angelou is a particular favourite. Love the idea of having a wee studio just off the kitchen.

happyone said...

I love your paintings.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your posts nourish my soul. In many ways, I think we are kindreds. I love the quotes you shared...especially that one of Van Gogh... I have not heard/read it before and it is absolutely perfect. And, of course, I have been a Shakespeare nerd since first being introduced to him. Fall surely is nipping at Summer's heels here. ~Robin~

Quilting Babcia said...

So many interesting sketch book pages, what intrigued me was the signature Manya on one page. My Polish grandmother and aunt were both called Manya. Your little sewing cubby off the kitchen is so charming. I could happily live in there!

Barwitzki said...

How nice that I found you...
wonderful drawings and watercolors you do...
"There is nothing good unless you do it" (Erich Kästner)
Dear greeting to you from Viola.
I wish you a wonderful September.

Elderberry-Rob said...

nice to see you being creative, I like the colours you use in our artwork.

acorn hollow said...

What a wonderful way to use the journal your granddaughter gave you.
so glad you got rain. We have had rain off and on of course not as much as we needed to get us to normal but still better than most places.
We are very cool this morning a nice break from the heat of August.
cathy

nookworm said...

You never cease to amaze me with your written thoughts, art, and endeavors in so many different fields. You are flexible and stoic in so many ways. Wishing for your posts to go on with more for a long time. You educate us all with such grace and understanding!

Julia said...

You are very artistic and I love the idea of writing and painting in a journal especially a gifted journal from a loved one. It can only get better and better.
Hugs,
Julia

Gretchen Joanna said...

It is always a joy and a comfort to come here.

Prims By The Water said...

I use to have a sketch book that I would write on after I drew something. Have not done that in years. Love the idea of having a little sewing place right off the kitchen. I wish I had a little room to keep my sewing stuff in. I have to hide in in my bedrooms. Janice PS so love your artwork!

Debra said...

Oh my goodness-what a beautiful post. I don't even know where to begin. You are a talented watercolorist and I think it's wonderful that it has surprised you! Not giving up- that's important. I'm trying to encourage myself too! But I want to focus on your art. You are good. You have amazing color sense and you are evoking emotion even with your quilt block paintings-which is not an easy thing to do. But you have done it well. I am trying to sound like someone who is a smart person-but I'm not, and I am a mediocre artist at best. But the thing is-I know what I like. And I also LOVE crumply pages from watercolor on the paper. I think it's beautiful. I am just loving what you are doing!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your journal pages are so colorful and wonderful! No matter how large or small a space can be.......if you are happy creating there......it's perfect!

Rose said...

You are quite the artist! I wish I would have the nerve to even try watercolors on a regular basis...even if they aren't good I should try.

LOVE that sunset.

Rose said...

I forgot something I meant to say. My sewing room is not that convenient to my kitchen, so I put a sewing machine in my dining room. It is amazing the stitching I can do while cooking, or waiting for Roger. If I go in my sewing room, I lose all track of time.

But with Roger feeling so bad, it is hard to even start a lot of times.