Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Journal Pages...

 



Much to our delight, there are now new sights and sounds along the trail following the oh-so-wonderful rain that fell here a few days ago.  I recently updated my Hilltop Trails Map for the new journal, so I am posting it here for reference.  The picture below was taken just north of the pond where a spring of freshwater, which ceased to flow in the two-month long drought, is now back in business.  The soothing sounds of falling and trickling water, along with the croaking of happy frogs are welcome sounds along the trail for sure.  





I have added other pages to the journal as well.  My granddaughter who gave me the journal did write that it is for "documenting my fun adventures", didn't she? "  I have been both writing and sketching, usually on facing pages, but here I will just post the sketches.  I estimate at the rate I am working, I might have the pages filled in one hundred days.  One hundred adventures?  Ha Ha!  What an exciting life I must lead for someone who rarely leaves these old trails I walk!



As I have written here before, Millie and I do enjoy watching the coyotes.  They don't have many friends here, except for Millie and me.  We respect them.




Farm work can be a real adventure, often times a bit too much of one, so there will be pages for those times.  Here the first of the heifers has just gotten a new purple ear tag (it's a bit like getting one's ears pierced.) and her vaccinations.  The rope is only a prop and was used no way in the process.  The fence is made of strips of cloth, as is the purple ear tag.  





We all know how much I love the summer tanager, so it's no surprise to find him here.  I like the depth I created here.  The bird is cut from a tiny piece of rosy red linen.  

Now, I am wondering what new adventure there will be for tomorrow.   Maybe we will spot a magnificent Red-Tailed Hawk, or could it be the day that we finally encounter a bear on the trail...

Until next time,
Mary





18 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning-early Got woken up with severe storms around midnight no electric. the electric just came back on.
Mary your journal pages are sooo wonderful I love them. You are a true artist-hugs
I am beginning to think my postcards have gotten lost or maybe damaged in the sorting machines as only one person has received one-sigh.
so glad you got rain-we must have gotten a few inches tonight-Happy thursday

kathyinozarks said...

ps your photo and pages has me missing our woods home

Hootin Anni said...

How incredibly crafty and so artful!! A journal is ideal for you to record your walk-abouts with Millie.

Saundra said...

Oh heavens NO Mary, sure hope you don't encounter a bear and if you do hope he doesn't see you. Your journal is going to be a magnificent work of art and memories.

nookworm said...

Your journal, drawings and descriptions are delightful! It will be a treasure for future generations for sure! I love what you write and draw!

Quilting Babcia said...

Adventures are when and where we choose to find and appreciate them! Seeing the hummingbird parents bring their babies to the feeder for the first time and showing them what to do is an adventure. So is watching the flycatcher babies leave their nest on their maiden flight to the nearby maple tree. We are blessed to have these adventures! And we also have a black bear that visits our yard fairly frequently looking for any bird feeders inadvertently left outside at night. Love your journal pages too!

acorn hollow said...

what a lovely journal and such a beautiful keepsake for your family in the years to come.
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

I knew your journal was going to be grand when I saw your first entries...but this is just incredible. Your sketches and adept use of mixed media makes my breath catch and my heart sing. What an amazing gift your grand gave you...and your are returning it 100-fold. ~Robin~

Granny Marigold said...

Isn't it almost miraculous what a difference a good rain makes? I love the sound of trickling water. I have a couple of fountains outside but they sound more splashy than trickling.
I like your journal pages especially the Summer Tanager. The red linen against the black-and-white sketch looks great.
Have a lovely adventure-filled weekend.

Aritha V. said...

Wauw, I love the last illustration. So nice!

Henny Penny said...

What an amazing journal! What an amazing artist you are! You make me want to rip up my stack of calorie counting three-ring binder notebooks filled with notes like "fatty", "pig", "new month, new start". :) I want to journal just like you, but I'm no artist. Can't wait for your and Millie's next adventure.

happyone said...

Love your map and all your journal entries. Very well done!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh goodness, I do hope there's no bear encounters on your trail! I love that Jane Goodall quote (of course you know I have a 'thing' for quotes!).
I read the part about the 'fence is made of strips of cloth' and thought you meant that literally and was about to marvel that it was managing to hold that calf securely. Then I realized and had a good laugh at myself. And me, grew up on a farm!!

Elderberry-Rob said...

You have some lovely art in your journal, I feel inspired! what interesting creatures you see too - coyote? equialent to a red fox in the UK perhaps? we have one drinking water from my garden bowl at night during the drought.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your journal pages are so sweet and so artistic! I love the whole journal idea! It will be fun to see when you finish all 100 pages!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Mary - your adventures are just what I seek as well. Walking out in the beauty of the countryside and delighting in our wonderful Creator who blesses us with all the lovely birds and animals is absolutely the best kind of adventure.

I am loving your journal pages with such inspiring mixed media. It is so rare to spot a scarlet tanager here but when we do they take our breath away. So gorgeous.

Thank you too for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment regarding our Shelby. Have a great day. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your journal pages. Hugs!

Morning's Minion said...

I miss having a woods to walk in--we have about 20 acres here, most of it in meadow. I can walk the perimeter of the property, but I don't go down into the steep ravines which bound us on north and south--too much underbrush with ticks, chiggers, the possibility of snakes.

Debra said...

Oh my freind I see I have missed so much that you are doing! How can I express how I love your work? This is just beautiful.