Thursday, September 29, 2022

My Cup Runneth Over...

 


Fall is off to a magnificent start here on the hill, and I am determined that we'll not be allowing a single moment of it to slip away without our being in the midst of it all.  

At day's end, it will be a front row seat for Millie and me to watch the spectacular sunsets being offered now, free for the taking. And what is that front seat, you may ask?  Well, a picture is worth a thousand words they say, so here goes...  

It's the same ole log on which we sat earlier to listen to the whippoorwills' calls, and later on, to the sweet songs of the summer tanager.  Yesterday, a late evening breeze blew across my face and ruffled my hair as we sat watching the spectacle of the setting sun.  My cup truly did runneth over...

  There was a visitor to the garden yesterday, and oh, what a beauty it was.  Even though I have already ripped out and cut back most of summer's flowers, I was happy that it found something satisfactory upon which to dine.  

Thoreau definitely had the right idea when he went to the woods to live "to learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived..."  

I sketched and painted in watercolors this young naturalist, thus adding another entry in the Journal that seems to go on forever.  He seems to be quite young here, but then he would for he died a young man.  He is well-dressed here even though he scorned wearing fine clothing.  Of course, he would not be wearing such a fine suit there at water's edge on Walden Pond.  






Hubby mentioned the other day that he needed to move the old dead log.  I will admit to cringing a bit, but I know it needs doing.  Maybe he will leave a piece of it of just the right height for my sitting.  

I know this old hill is a place I have photographed before...but even now I must do it again and again.  Each picture seems different in one way or another from all the others.  It is a place that I love.  

"The way I'd like to go on living in this world wouldn't hurt anything.  I'd just go on walking uphill and downhill, looking around, and so what if half the time I don't know what for ~"

                             ~Mary Oliver









23 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

What a gorgeous sunset!

Julia said...

What great pictures. Your journal is very special and I like your watercolors. Isn't nature grand? Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

I always love looking at your pictures. You have a wonderful view! Janice

Saundra said...

God's beautiful creation....the Monarch butterfly. Love seeing your loyal companion; I miss mine.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Another intoxicatingly beautiful post Mary.... Those photos of the butterfly are incredible...the striking orange against the vibrant purple. What are those flowers? They almost look like phlox, but it is too late for them. That last photo, however, took my breath away. I just want to drink every pixel of it in. ~Robin~

Hill Top Post said...

Crow, that’s a blue salvia - blue Victor I think. It is actually an annual but usually comes back this far
south. It is a great performer and blooms all summer until frost.

kathyinozarks said...

What a lovely spot to watch the sunset-I think Millie agrees too.
Perhaps a little bench for sitting to replace the old log.
How awesome to see a monarch on your flowers-I got to see a couple this summer in my flowers-had me smiling, first time in years I had seen one.
Loving your journal pages and your quote
Happy friday and weekend and a surprise in my mailbox-hugs

GretchenJoanna said...

Glory to God!

Granny Marigold said...

Your hill is never the same as the last time you walked there. Just today I was over at Beyond the Hills We Know and reading a poem by Delores Stewart I came upon the line "...the circle of the seasons turns and never comes back quite the same".
I like your sketch of Thoreau and his cabin. I didn't know that he died young.

Elderberry-Rob said...

your pictures are lovely and so is your art. I think when you move that log there will be all kinds of wildlife beneath! we have a log behind our garden that people used to sit on as they passed, it is now totally hidden by bramble and beyond my ability to restore. you were lucky to get such a fabulous picture of the monarch butterfly, isn't nature full of the most incredible things and yet they have such short lives it seems so unfair.

Hootin Anni said...

Forever ... A word I must use to describe the emotions you created in words and journal photos...forever etched in memory. Yet, forever changing beauty.

Debra said...

Oh my-each photo just got even more beautiful as I scrolled down the page. You have captured heaven on earth it seems. Millie understands about just looking, doesn't she? We seem to be on the same wavelength about so many things-I also love Thoreau. Have you heard of an author named Gene Stratton Porter? She was a naturalist in the early 1900's and also wrote many novels about characters that loved the woods and birds. "The Harvester" was loosely based on Thoreau. I think I have read it about 20 times now in about 40 years or so. I have been able to collect many of her books-they are treasures. Her books about moths and birds have her own photos in them. She was quite a formidable character in the woods. Quite a lady!

Henny Penny said...

All I can say is "simply beautiful"! Your words and your pictures. I really like the last one with Millie looking toward the setting sun, of course, I really like them all.

nookworm said...

Oh dear! Leave the log. Why not? Each time you post your pictures I get a thump - thump in my heart! They are all so beautiful and inspiring. I would like to enter your portal of peace.

happyone said...

Magnificent photos. Fall is such a beautiful time of year.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What a beautiful sketch!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Stunning photos of the flutter-bye! I remember reading Thoreau's book when I was a teenager and it's on my list to re-read at some point. I was impressed by it then and can only imagine that I will be more so now.

Inger said...

I spent 50 minutes hiking in my hills with my dog this morning. We usually go for a walk, but hiking has been a bit difficult lately due to my age and my health. It was so worth it, I haven't felt this good in a very long time. Nature truly has a healing spirit.

Thank you for this beautiful post.

Rose said...

I would love to go through your sketch book!

That Monarch is a beauty!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How lovely are your photos! I see the monarchs have made their way to visit you! Such a pretty sunset. I wish the log could stay! I love old dead trees that make a perfect sitting place! Love the work you are doing with your sketch book!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Love all of your photos.....Millie, the sunset.....that wonderful log!
Your sketch book work is just wonderful!

Sandra said...

Your Butterfly is beautiful. So happy it had a special place to land and refresh itself. I envy you your walking path; with the changing seasons I imagine you often have new and wonderful views. Having a special place to stop and sit and take in the view is special too. Hope your hubby leaves you that special spot. We had our first real cold temperature drop. So happy it isn't here to stay...not yet.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Your sketches are wonderful. Such gorgeous photos as well. Love the sunset and your sweet companion walking ahead. For sure you need to keep that log...it looks like the perfect spot to sit and talk to God. Hope you have a lovely week ahead. Hugs!