Wednesday, October 26, 2022

The Seamstress...

 


My mother was a seamstress, so this one's for her.  She lived and breathed everything having to do with needle, thread, and cloth.  Her epithet should have definitely read, "I cannot count a day complete until needle, thread, and cloth meet..."  But that's with one exception.  She did not sew on Sunday, unless, as she sometimes said, "... the ox is in the ditch."  Her mother had admonished her as a young girl for sewing on the Lord's Day  by saying, "You'll be taking those stitches out with the end of your nose come judgement day."  

This is my favorite drawing thus far.  I dressed it up a bit with a piece of Deb Lactivia's hand dyed brocade for a collar and hair ribbon.  (I don't recall Mom ever having worn such a ribbon in her hair, but I think she would have worn one well, for she was quite pretty.




I took up needle and thread a couple of days ago just to see if I could still do a little needle-turned applique, which I have always enjoyed doing.  These little one-inch squares were a bit fussy to work with, but also fun as they reflected the colors going on outside the windows.  

However, after having stitched for a couple of hours, I was ready to get back to some sketched and watered colored pages which has been such an enjoyable project.  I can surely ditto Ann Wood's words here, "A large part of the value of this project has been getting somewhere I did not plan to go.  That's the huge benefit of a daily art practice.  Stuff turns up."  It's the stuff that keeps turning up that I am enjoying so much.  

A while back, friend Kathy sent me some of her exquisite eco-dyed papers.  I am sure she would agree when she finished these that "Stuff turns up."  I can't think of anything that says fall like these papers do.  I love them.



This week marked my and Millie's 200th day walking anniversary.  I am gaining on that 1,347 day record we had back before last winter's blizzard and sickness.  I have actually been surprised this week at how pretty some of our fall colors are now following such a hot, dry summer.  Hopefully this trend will continue right into November.











17 comments:

happyone said...

Beautiful art work, beautiful views!!

Saundra said...

Beautiful painting and wonderful tribute to your mother. I know it is a different time but personally don't think God would admonish her for picking up a needle on the sabbath, just my feeling decades later than that.
I used to make my own clothes and those of my son including foot in pjs with snaps. Now I hate even doing mending, lol.

Morning's Minion said...

I recall that my Mother [raised by her grandmother] mentioned a similar stricture re any needlework on Sunday--the idea that no good could come of a piece brought out to pass the Sunday afternoon hours.
I have a long love affair with fabric, having for decades made many of my own clothes as well as for my daughter, nieces and friends.
I now buy clothing at Goodwill [!] and use my sewing energies to make quilts.

Henny Penny said...

The drawing of your mother is beautiful. I love it. I remember being at a cousin's house one Sunday back in the early 50s. There were four of us little girls playing. Nancy asked her mother to thread a needle for us. Her mother said absolutely not! It's Sunday. You put that needle away. Your woods are very pretty with all the leaves falling.

Prims By The Water said...

Your homage to your mom is very impressive. My gramma B was also a seamstress who did not work on Sundays. Also love your little applique. The colors are perfect for this time of year. Congrats also toy ou and Millie on your walks. More than I could do. Janice

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful drawing of your mother-I love it. you are a very talented artist-hugs.
My Mom was a master seamstress too-she made most all of our clothes, she grew up doing allot of embroidery too.
Beautiful post congrats for you and Millie-hugs

kathyinozarks said...

PS I actually dug out some of my eco prints to admire them again-they really are fall-I always loved making those.
lovely autumn photos too-hugs

Julia said...

I thoroughly enjoy the beautiful artwork in your journal. I like how you depict your mother.
Good for you walking with Millie every day. Your surroundings are beautiful.
I personally don't do any work that I can do during the week, on Sunday, like cleaning the house, shopping or gardening, etc. However, I have done needlework as relaxation or enjoyment and not as a means to get ahead and I prepare meals and wash dishes on Sundays. On Sundays, I do a lot of relaxation.

Hugs,
Julia



Granny Marigold said...

Your sketch/water colour of your mother is very lovely. With the pieces of brocade on the collar and ribbon it must be even more special.
200 walks by now. You're well on your way to set a new record. I think Fall is the best time for walking. Maybe because there's so much beauty to admire as we walk.

Hootin Anni said...

That top photo of your art work is extraordinary!!! I enjoyed reading how your mother thought and kept the Sabbath sacred (so to speak). My mother was the same.

Beautiful Autumn images. And congrats to your # of walks with Millie.

acorn hollow said...

nice to see you post and hear about your mom and your art. I do hope to branch out a bit into other things beside rug hooking at some point in my life.
Cathy

nookworm said...

I have always found comfort remembering how my mother was so very talented with all needles and threads and yarns. It sounds like you feel it too in your description of yours. We learned a lot from them, didn't we? Your drawing brings her to life!

Lady Locust said...

Oh, I just love every picture you shared here today. Especially fond of that little 9 patch - so simple yet stunning by its own right.

GretchenJoanna said...

I love this story of your mother, and your painting.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love how you combine painting with fabric touches and have created such a lovely tribute to your mother. Perhaps you could think about creating a doll using the same inspiration?
Can't imagine applique using such teeny little pieces of fabric, at least not needle turned.

Rose said...

Beautiful...artwork and stitches!

Debbie Nolan said...

What a wonderful sketch. Such a great tribute to your mom. My mom was the same as yours when it came to sewing on Sunday and often quoted the same words as your mom. Looks like fall is treating you to a lovely visit. Hugs!