Saturday, December 31, 2022

Photo of the Year 2022...

 

Photo of the Year 2022

"The Weaver"

Who would have thought that a lowly spider's web could win such honors.  :~)  I am quite surprised that the hubby suggested it for he's not much of a bug and spider kind of guy.  



"The Drought Buster"  2022


"The Watering Hole" 2022

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girls looked through Journal pages and chose their favorites.  I was pleased because these are favorites of mine too.  





"Sing One More Sweet Song" 2022

How can one, even in the cold dark days of January, forget the song of the Summer Tanager?






Millie and I are now back up to 287 consecutive walks.  On February 23, I wrote on my calendar, "Another winter storm hits.  3 inches of sleet and freezing rain.  I am not feeling well.  It was an early walk ahead of the rain & sleet.  370 walks.

Continuing on the 24th, I scribbled, "I am sick.  The ground is treacherous.  There is very little traffic.  Schools are closed.  I did not walk."  My streak was once again broken.  I missed 12 days of walking.  Millie surely was happy when we were back on the trail.  So was I.  






I will not be making resolutions this year.  They are such a bother when I am already doing the best that I can.  I am, however, naming this year, My Big Creative Year 2023, in which I plan to live and breathe all things I consider art.  (Even arranging the refrigerator can fall into that category.) 

"You have to be a little careful with me because I actually make art out of everything."  ~ Dorothea Stuffer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I must continue to follow the path I take now.  If I do nothing, if I study nothing, if I cease searching, then, woe is me.  I am lost.

That is how I look at it ~ keep going.  Keep going come what may.  But what is your final goal, you may ask.

That goal will become clearer, will emerge slowly but surely, much as the rough draft turns into a sketch, and the sketch into a painting through the serious work done on it, through the elaboration of the original vague idea, and through the consolidation of the first fleeting and passing thought".

~Vincent Van Gogh




Happy New Year and many happy creative days to you, dear friends!  Thanks to all of you for your visits and kind words here.  

~Mary



18 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

May all your artful goals be realized in 2023! Love the picture of the year choice. And is that Millie in the brook?

Saundra said...

I love all your paintings and inspiring words. I too missed a few days of walking because of the heavy winds and frigid temps with black ice along my driveway and around the meadow.
Happy New Year to you and thank you for your friendship and many visits.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think all those photos are worthy of photo of the year status. I'm not one for new year's resolutions either because I know I'm setting myself up for failure (most likely on Jan. 2nd!).
Happy New Year to you and your family (four-legged and otherwise)

happyone said...

I know how you feel about getting back outside walking.
Lovely photos.
Wishing you a happy and healthy new year.

Morning's Minion said...

The small happenings in a year so often have more lasting effect than the 'bigger' occasions. I've not been blogging as much as previously and have to look back through the notes scribbled on my calendar to jog my memory. I'm glad I have almost daily photos as reminders.
A stunning spider web--I always hope to see them before walking into one!

Granny Marigold said...

"The Weaver" definitely ranks with the best of 2022's pictures. I'm glad daily walks with Millie are going well. I like Dorothea's quote and I wrote your words about resolutions on the last page of this year's journal. It's a fact that most of us are doing the best we can.
My new journal awaits me. I always hesitate to write on that first blank page. Then I write ever so carefully for a day or 2. At best my handwriting isn't great but when I'm the least bit in a hurry to write it quickly becomes illegible.
Happy New Year to you and your husband and of course, Millie.

kathyinozarks said...

Great choices for the year-I love the weaver the best too, and I really love your journal pages very much. the quote from Van Gogh was perfect. I bought a handmade journal for 2023-I have not been good with journaling but want to give it a go-don't think for every day but at least once a week or month is my goal.
I with you a creative artistic year sounds good for the soul hugs
Happy New Year my friend

Julia said...

Happy New Year, Mary. I love all your paintings. You are so disciplined to walk every day. That is something that I should do but I don't have a dog to walk me, lol...

I think the photo with the spider web is certainly a winner. We have much to learn from the spider, especially patience. It spins its web and waits patiently for an insect to walk in their sticky web and doilies have been patterned after such a beautiful web.

Wishing you all the best for the new year.
Hugs,
Julia

nookworm said...

I always read your posts twice because I want to feel what you feel. It works! Just getting through each day is enough for me and, though walking isn't on my list, I love that you do it so faithfully. Your journal is already a treasure and very special. If you're not having fun, what's the point? Be well, be safe, be creative and be happy!

Debra said...

Your photos and art are beautiful. I love everyone of them...Loved the Van Gogh quote so much. And your idea of no resolutions is going to be my choice this year as well. I think your artful arranging in the refrigerator is right on! I wish you health and happiness for this new year!

kat said...

That web looks as though it is about to fly off and wrap itself around the stars in the sky above. Lovely image. And yes, even hanging laundry on the line on a breezy day can be art, especially if you use contrasting colours from peg to cloth :-)
Doing the best we can is always good enough, just keep searching, and walking.
Happy Hew Year to you and yours

Bonnie K said...

I am so impressed with your dedication. I don't make resolutions either, but I do set goals. Here is wishing you a happy and healthy new year!

Henny Penny said...

Happy New Year! Your picture of the year 2022 is the right one but then so many of your pictures could win. So sorry you got sick and messed up your and Millie's walking days. Glad you're better and out again.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I love the photo collection... and the thoughts about art. I have plans for 2023 that I am pretty sure could all be gathered up into the category of Doing Art. That idea is inspiring and gives me energy, because it takes the work out of the category of chores, into a higher realm <3

Prims By The Water said...

Happy New Year! I am not a fan of spiders, but that is a pretty cool pic! Janice

Anonymous said...

I love all your photography. It would be so hard to pick a favorite. I am sorry your walking streak got broken; and to hear that you were ill. You are blessed any day that you are able to get out and walk and enjoy the beautiful nature around you. I particularly love the last photo of the pond with the reflection in the water. I look forward to following along with your Big Creative Year 2023. After all it is a new year...to me that always means a fresh start. Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy 2023. Your friend, Sandra

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

A very happy and productive new year to you. Thank you for the Van Gogh quote.

Barwitzki said...

I must continue on the path I am now taking. If I don't do anything, if I don't study, if I stop searching, woe to me. I'm lost... carry on. Keep it up, come what may... :-)))) you speak from my heart :-)))
All the best to you and a big hug from Viola :-) Happy 2023 to you and hug.