Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Winter Solstice...

 

The night sky picture above was taken last winter with my cell phone (which impressed me greatly).


 I tried to duplicate that same night sky on this journal page.  The quote is from Thomas Hardy in "Far from the Madding Crowd, which seems so applicable at this time of the year.  



"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 

 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.  

And the angel said unto them, Fear not for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

And his shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."  

~St. Luke Ch. 2, 8~13





~~~~~~~~~~

So, a new season is officially here and, according to all reports, Old Man Winter is going to blast us on the first full day of winter with strong cold winds.  We are expecting rain and snow in the morning changing over to just snow in the afternoon.  Temps will fall sharply, with an overnight low of 2 degrees. We are hoping there will be no repeat of last year's storm.




I have worked hard the past month cleaning house ~ organizing, rearranging, and clearing out some unwanted and unnecessary things. I wanted to make a fresh start come January l, when I plan to go into a semi-hibernation mode.  The picture below, which keeps circulating here and there, is a perfect illustration for what I have in mind. (Except that I would like to be the one resting in the chair.  Ha Ha!)
That roaring fire surely looks good, doesn't it?

I hope all of you stay warm and toasty and have a very Merry Christmas.  Take care....





Happy, happy Christmas
that can win us back to the 
delusions of our childish days,
that can recall to the old man
the pleasures of his youth.
that can transport the sailor
and the traveler,
thousands of miles away
back to his own fireside
and his quiet home!

~ Charles Dickens


18 comments:

Saundra said...

Oh but I do like the words of Dickens and your decision to declutter. OMG I plan to visit your post ever day until the mood strikes me too. Merry, Happy Christ mas to you as well.

Julia said...

That night sky looks magical with its beautiful colors. It almost looks like a rug. It's amazing how the stars are showing brightly.

I hope the decluttering is about done and that you can sit down by the fire like these little mice and enjoy some quiet time.

I hope the cattle with their calves have some shelter for the cold night and days of winter.

Take care and Merry Christmas.
Hugs, Julia

Hootin Anni said...

Stunning,dramatic nighttime photo!!
Yes, declutter, and enjoy house and home by a roaring fire,a good book, and peace throughout!!

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post Mary-and I totally forgot about the winter solstice.
Thursday begins our blast of winter too, the 45 mile and hour winds sounds a bit scary brrr I may not even get up the steps and hill to the mailbox today.
Enjoy your quiet time hugs

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Can Winter really have just started? Oh my, this is the coldest one I remember. They say Christmas Day we can see some relief from the cold temperatures and it might warm up for a time. Won't that be a blessed gift from Mother Nature! Your picture of the sky filled with stars is so perfect. Nothing more magical than seeing clearly all those stars in the sky and finding The Big Dipper. A great addition to your journal. I often pray for the wildlife and animals that are outdoors and live through the coldest of weather. Enjoy your indoor time and stay warm by your fire. I will look forward to reading your post again in the New Year.

nookworm said...

Like you, I declutter. Simplifying is cleansing, don't you agree? Your shepherd doll is beautiful. The herd of snow-covered critters is such an example of weather impacts. Peace and comfort to you and yours throughout the coming days. Be careful, be well, be happy!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Storm warnings all over the place here which is going to wreak such havoc over Christmas plans for so many people. Will have to wait and see whether we can spend it with our #1 son and his family but we're hopeful it happens because he so rarely gets Christmas (or any holiday) off.
Have a wonderful Christmas - stay safe, be warm.

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Mary I want to join you in that chair by the roaring fire. It sure looks like winter has arrived for you...it is on its way here tomorrow morn. Hoping it is not as wicked as it says it is going to be. Take care and stay safe. Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year. Am looking forward to visiting you in 2023. Hugs!

Granny Marigold said...

I like the Thomas Hardy quote and also the journal page where you put it. If I wasn't such a wimp I'd be outside in the darkness watching the stars too. Incidentally, I've been working on memorizing Hardy's poem The Darkling Thrush. So apt also for this time of the year.
Have a wonderful Christmas!!

happyone said...

I like the Dickens quote!
We are supposed to be getting those cold temperatures tomorrow morning.
A Very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Prims By The Water said...

I sure wish I could be that mouse in that comfy chair by the warm fire. The rain came 2 hours ago, and soon the snowstorm begins. We are prepared for it. We do know our Tundra dog will love the snow. Janice

Henny Penny said...

What an amazing post, but then all of your posts are amazing. The cows look so cold. You take such great pictures. I do love that picture of the mice and the roaring fire. Makes me warm just to look at it. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Gretchen Joanna said...

Thank you, Mary, for a wonderfully evocative post. Have a blessed Christmas!

kat said...

Some beautiful thoughts for this time of year, and I am so enjoying your images from your journals, they are enchanting.
I hope you and yours, and particularly your animals, are spared some of the icy blasts that seems to be enveloping the US at the moment. Merry Christmas, stay safe and warm hopes for a happy new year

Rose said...

Merry Christmas! I love the sky you did!

Debra said...

I hope your Christmas day was warm and wonderful. I love your painting with the quote. And the photos-always so much feeling and beauty in them. I know you will be taking a blogging break in hibernation (am I right?) and I'll miss your posts. I will get a letter off to you soon. Happy New Year my friend.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

That is a truly great photo taken with your cell phone and I love the way you made your journal page. I hope this finds that the winter storm did not freeze you too much and that hopefully it has passed. May this new year find health, happiness, and peace to you and your family!
Happy New Year!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

You captured the night sky with your cell phone perfectly! Love your journal page and your Santa! May this new year find health, happiness, and peace to you and your family!
Happy New Year!