Monday, October 23, 2023

Close to Nature...

 







It was a perfect day for exploring backwoods trails.  "I had meant to do my work today, but a brown bird sang in the apple tree, so what could I do but laugh and go." (Richard Le Gallienne) 

 Well, that's almost the way it was, but without the brown bird in the apple tree, instead the EEEEE of a red-tailed hawk could be heard from high above the northern ridge.  It was enough.

As I walked, I stopped to pull dead limbs, some that were quite large, out of the path's way.  Farther on, we found one huge dead tree had fallen, blocking our way.   I will need help with that one but do know just the right guy for the job.  

It's a rugged and wild land - home of the coyote, and perhaps of a black bear or two, but I don't mind.  Oftentimes at dusk, when the coyotes begin to cry, Hubby will say, "There are your coyotes."  I say, "I like them."  He replies, "I don't."  I am still not sure how Millie feels about them.  I think it is a kind of love/hate thing with her.   

Sharon Butala in Perfection of the Morning, writes quite a bit about the coyotes of far southwest Saskatchewan.    

"In the evening, during the night, and in the early morning coyotes sing to us from out on the prairie.  They are actually calling to their brothers and sisters across the valley or from hill to lonely hill.  Sometimes they sound happy, yipping delightedly out of sync with each other, without melody or decorum; other times their song seems a heartfelt lament to the gods, as humans sing of their sorrow, their suffering across the centuries and around the world."





Back at home, I am continuing to get the house ready for the long winter months.  It's my big fall housecleaning that usually doesn't get finished in the spring.  I have made much progress, both inside and outside, having only my closet to finish and that always-needs-cleaning garage.  I have decided that definitely "less is often times more," as I am calling the photo of the old printers' drawer that hangs above my sewing machine (shown above).  

                                                                 

                                                                    Until next time,

                                                                    Mary



18 comments:

Saundra said...

Oh Mary you put me to shame with total house cleaning inside and out. There are nights when I can't sleep for thinking of the clutter of once loved and searched for items which now collect in the shelves or in the attic. After that sleepless night notice the next morning the items begin to gather and taken to the thrift shop. Could be tonight will be one of those sleepless nights.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm in the process of Fall cleaning too. I seem to be taking my time but I had hoped to be finished by November. Which is fast approaching.
I'm so glad you are finding Sharon Butala interesting ( at least I assume you are since you quote her). I'm sure I mentioned that I donated her book then was sorry I had so I found another copy.
GM

happyone said...

So nice to be able to take a walk in the woods. I did that too this afternoon. :)

Julia said...

Your nature photos of the open forest are beautiful. It looks so inviting to go for a nature walk. You are a brave woman to not fear the Cayotes and black bears. I'm sure your faithful dog would be able to smell them if they were nearby.

The cool temperatures have arrived in our area and the leaves are falling heavily.

Take care and enjoy the beauty nature has to offer this time of year.
Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Lovely touches of autumn in your neck of the woods. Winds and cold rains have absconded with most of our color, leaving us in that holding pattern between proper fall and the harsh bleakness of our winters. The coyotes have been especially vocal here lately as well. I am not fond of them either. Perhaps it is their brash forwardness that makes me dislike them as they do not hesitate to come right up to the yard and always seem to be singing their discordant songs. Although I am alone, I believe, in thinking so, I prefer the solitary wolves who keep more of a distance. Beautiful photo of your printer's tray. I don't believe I will ever be able to attain that minimal simplicity as much as I may admire it. ~Robin~

jabblog said...

Beautiful autumn colour developing in your woods. It seems late to arrive this year, but maybe I say that every year. We don't have large wild animals but the sobbing cry of a vixen in the wee small hours can make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

nookworm said...

At first I was really envious because you can walk the woods and I miss doing that. Then I counted my blessings and decided that my explorations were some very wonderful times and scolded myself to be grateful that I did - at one time. Yes, purging is something that gives a sense of control. You do know how to minimalize very well. Your images are soothing.

Prims By The Water said...

Great Autumn pictures. As far as coyotes go, I am with your husband. A few years ago we had a coyote attach our next door neighbors dog. When I was a teen I came eye to eye with one. My grammas Samoyed got between me and that coyote. He protected me. I do love the sound of the hawks and enjoy watching them. Janice

Lisa said...

Wow - I haven't even washed all the windows yet, let alone do fall cleaning. How nice it must feel to have so much done!
I'm glad you like the coyotes - somebody has to like them. I like thinking of all the wild creatures out there.

Morning's Minion said...

I've never known anyone else to mention Sharon Butala's books. Not sure if I still have them as I've sorted out so many each time we've moved. I discovered 'Perfection of the Morning' in a local bookshop soon after moving to Wyoming. Not sure I ever fully acclimated to that windswept, sage brush, covered landscape, rather similar to that described in her books.
During our Vermont years a colony of what were locally called 'coy-dogs'--surely coyotes-- lived on a hill across the meadow from our house. Their night time serenades always spoke of the wild so near our domesticated space.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I am encouraged by your post to be thankful for my recent walks in the woods with my family, and also to get down to the business of fall cleaning and organizing -- and building the first fire of the season in the wood stove... <3

Debra said...

A lovely post. I like to think about coyotes and what they do at night. All I see are their footprints. One set is quite large. I've seen him now for a few years (the prints). I wonder if he's a loner because he's so big. Or perhaps he's a wolf. The mystery is delightful to think about.

nookworm said...

Kitty on a fencepost silhouette great! Yours?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We live in town but we sometimes can hear the coyotes in the distance. I've always liked them but wouldn't want to meet one face to face, particularly the ones that live too close to civilization.
Lovely pictures in your post - and I have to say I really like the sillouette of the kitty in your header.

Debbie Nolan said...

Mary such beautiful photos. We have coyotes that cry late at night and in the early morning. Sometimes they yip and other times it sounds like howls. Hope your weekend is lovely. Hugs!

Hill Top Post said...

I snapped this picture of my Sylvester a few Halloweens ago.

kat said...

I am finding myself too busy to be much online at the moment, so have just caught up with your posts. I love your wild jacket, especially the pics with you inside it. It is good to have a face to go with the words.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful surroundings, autumn is definitely colouring the world in before it settles into winter's greys and browns.
I too am shamed by your industry, trying not to notice the clutter that surrounds me as I type! As my school reports often said - should try harder!

Bonnie K said...

Great fall photos. I love fall strolls as the sounds and smells seem so much more intense. Love your quotes.