Wednesday, November 1, 2023

A Close Encounter and More...

 



Sad?  Why should I be sad?  It's my birthday.  The happiest day of the year."  

"Your birthday?"  said Pooh in great surprise.

"Of course it is.  Can't you see?  Look at all the presents I have had."  He waved a foot from side to side.  "Look at the birthday cake.  Candles and pink sugar."


Ha Ha!  I always love to read this chapter on my birthday.  It's Chapter Six, In Which Eeyore Has a Birthday and Gets Two Presents.  I had to go upstairs and dig around to find my big A.A. Milne book, The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh with decorations by Ernest H. Shepard.  



The big rock where Millie and I sometimes sit to reflect on the day or to observe Nature. 

 


After having read Sharon Butala, I began to concentrate more on my surroundings. She says a mindless walk, when one is lost in thought, is a wasted walk.  

  "I began to try to stop thinking about anything else but the dirt on the road, the grass beside it, the stones, the fields spreading out on each side, the hawks circling overhead, the song of the meadowlark or red-winged blackbird, the sound of the wind in the grass, a particular rock high on a hillside.  This required concentration, I found, and a constant calling myself back from thoughts of other things to my surroundings at the moment."  ~Sharon Butala's Perfection of the Morning.  

 I will admit to having been guilty of taking many wasted walks.  I have at times said to Millie on our way out the back gate.  "Millie, we need to talk about some things.  You are a girl so you will understand."  So, I would talk, and she, I assumed, would listen. At the end, just as Ms. Butala would have predicted, I couldn't remember a thing about the walk we had just taken. 


But yesterday's walk was not wasted.  It was a walk of a close encounter.  I still shudder about this one.  Millie was slightly ahead of me as we stepped from the wooded lane above the big pond, when she was suddenly surrounded by "Animate Beings," with the clear intention of doing her harm.  

I could not, at first, wrap my head around what these beings were.  I counted at least six heavily coated creatures in black or red.  I kept thinking, "Are they coyotes or are they dogs?" They were definitely very different from the much less bold and usually bedraggled common coyote that I have befriended, defended, photographed and sketched.   In the end, after having Googled, I decided that they were, in all probability, a cross between the two breeds.  I read that when a coyote is red in color, it is a good indicator that it is of mixed parentage, being in this case, coyote and dog.  This cross is also often more aggressive and less afraid of people.  






Thankfully, Millie is very athletic and a fast runner, but so were these wild critters.  She disappeared from my sight surrounded by two blacks and a red and didn't return for several minutes.  When she finally reappeared, she was dripping wet.  She, apparently, escaped from her pursuers by getting into the pond.  She seemed okay otherwise.  I am still shaken.  

  

Until next time...

Mary

22 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

First of all, happy Birth Day wishes! And secondly....how terrifying for both you AND Millie! Those crosses between coyotes and dogs (or coyotes and wolves) are really scary because they have absolutely no fear of humans. There have been stories here about them attacking people. I hope you carry a big stick and wear your running shoes (or climbing ones so you can scale the nearest tree!). Be safe!

happyone said...

Happy Birthday!!
One reason I like to walk alone is because I can enjoy my surroundings without having to talk to someone. Why too I don't listen to anything while I walk.
I don't want a 'wasted' walk. :)

Aritha V. said...

O no... What a creepy experience with those creatures. I would be very scared. Anyway, that was truly an adventure to blog about. I wish you a good month of October and belated birthday congratulations.

Saundra said...

Millie listens to your every word on your walks; I'm sure because my dogs listened (they are all gone now). And after the scary events of this last walk I'd suggest you pay more attention to your surroundings on ground than the sounds of the wind and birds. That was a very scary moment for Millie and am sure you were concerned for her too. Glad everything came out okay.

kathyinozarks said...

I was thinking about you and your birthday today-hugs
Wow how frightening for you and Millie glad she could escape. may need to start taking a gun along with you so you can fire over their heads and hopefully scare them off.
Our wolf Nikita always kept the coyotes back from the house and surrounding areas-she would call to them-thinking telling them to stay away.
enjoyed the quotes-hugs Kathy

Lady Locust said...

Oy! Glad Millie returned and escaped the critters.
I love the book of Pooh - Eeyore is my favorite 😍

Granny Marigold said...

What a weird and scary experience for you and for Millie. I'm so glad you both came out unhurt but no doubt shaken.
Belated Happy Birthday 🎈🎈🎈

Gretchen Joanna said...

Oh, Mary, how disturbing about the (possibly) half-breeds. And -- a group of them? Yikes.

When I was in college and living in a sort of student ghetto, there were packs of feral dogs who would attack bicyclists sometimes. My future husband used to rebuke them in the name of Jesus and also try to kick and ride at the same time.

Happy Birthday!

Chris said...

Happy Birthday, it was my husbands birthday yesterday we didn't walk as it poured with rain and much too wet.

nookworm said...

A birth day to remember! Probably left you shaking in your boots but the wonderful part is that in the end, it wasn't the end. you can stop shaking now and know that you and Millie will remember this day for years to come. I'm so glad you both are survivors of woodland encounters. Carry on.....

jabblog said...

Happy birthday. The poem is somewhat subduing, I find.
I can imagine how your heart must have been hammering during and after your encounter with the hybrids. Lucky, clever Millie. I hope that's the last item you see them.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happiest of belated birthday wishes Mary. Pooh is a favorite of mine as well. Yikes about your and Millie's encounter. That's scary business. I did not know there were such creatures.... The thought makes me shudder. Fortunately, Millie had her wits about her and is quick. ~Robin~

Lisa said...

A Happy Birthday to you! But what a thing to happen - I never heard of those coyote/dogs, but of course it makes sense they exist. wow.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Happy belated birthday. Glad all turned out okay with you and Millie.

Julia said...

Happy Belated Birthday.🎂

I'm glad the encounter with those cayotes didn't result in Millie being attacked, or even you. This is very scary. Millie was outnumbered. Please be careful.

Hugs,
Julia

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Oh no poor Millie and poor you, what a bloomin fright. So glad she wasn't hurt. Let's hope that doesn't happen again. And before I forget, best wishes on your birthday.

Prims By The Water said...

WOW so glad Millie is alright. When I was a teen I had an encounter with a coyote and my Samoyed got between me and the coyote. Not something I want to see again. Happy belated birthday and love Winnie The Pooh. It was my daughters favorite bear. I had bought one for her that was a big as she was when she was three. Janice

Prims By The Water said...

So thankful Millie did not get hurt. Happy belted birthday! Janice

Henny Penny said...

Happy Birthday! Just a little late. Oh my goodness, I have goosebumps reading about your close encounter. That would have scared me to death. So glad Millie outsmarted them and carried them away from you. What a great, loyal, and sweet companion you have there. I've never seen a coyote. One did slip up behind my husband when he was out hunting last year. Dan scared him away. You take care.

Bonnie K said...

How scary! I had a coyote follow Ezra back to me. I had my walking stick ready to whap it, but he saw me at the last minute and veered off. Glad you and Mille are safe.

acorn hollow said...

I am so sorry I am so late getting here to wish you happy birthday what a lovely way to celebrate by reading a passage of Pooh.
How very scary and how wonderful that Millie is nimble and so very smart.
I do not walk with anything like music etc. But I am probably not as present as I should be at times and will take that as challenge on my next walk
Cathy

Debra said...

I missed this post. Happy belated birthday!