Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Her Ladyship and Rosa...














Considering the popularity of this amazing woman, I can't help but wonder how it happened that I had never heard of Hannah Hauxwell.  But, I hadn't!  Not until, a blogger friend mentioned one of her books, "Seasons of My Life."  Now, here was a book that sounded right up my alley! Of course, I headed right over to Wikipedia and read, " Hannah Hauxwell (1 August 1926 - 30 January 2018) was an English farmer who was the subject of several television documentaries."

That very evening I watched "Too Long a Winter (1972," "A Winter Too Many (1980s) and "Hannah Hauxwell - Past & Present."  Oh, how I loved that dear woman just as millions of others around the world did after having watched these documentaries.  Her life had not been easy, and she had endured much over the years, yet she always seemed to keep a great spirit and to make the best of what she had. We all would do well with a good dose of Hannah Hauxwell from time to time.









I  think Hannah would be proud that I named these little cattle ladies (above) after some of her own cattle that came to mean so much to her through the years.  From left to right, there's Her Ladyship, Bunty, in the center, and sweet Rosa on the right.

 It is Rosa, Her Ladyship's daughter, I believe, that is pictured with Hannah on the book cover above.  It was also Rosa who furnished her with warm milk in the bitter cold winter of 1978 when everything in the house froze solid. (Even though, she says she's not that keen on milk.)



"It's my favorite place, here...down the new road through the iron gate.  I stand here and watch the seasons come and go.  At night the moonlight plays on Hunder Beck...and the waters sing a song to me...

I know this place will always be loyal to me.  If I have nothing in my pocket I will always have this.  They cannot take it away from me.  It's mine, mine for the taking, and always will be...even when I'm no longer here.  Of course, I suppose I shall have to leave here...sooner than later, I imagine.  It will not be an easy thing to do.  

But in years to come, if you see a ghost walking here you can be sure it will be me. "

                                                                                  ~Hannah Hauxwll


17 comments:

lil red hen said...

I'm glad you told me about Hannah. And you even said she made you think of me; must have been the scarf she wore in the winter. Mine is almost worn to a frazzle but I plan to start the winter with it anyhow. Perhaps I can read more about her when cold weather slows down the outside farm work. Slows down the work?? I think not, for there seems to be more to do taking care of the farm when the temperatures drop. Your Rosa is a beauty!

Granny Marigold said...

Isn't Hannah truly and inspiration? I cannot imagine living the life she lived; the hardships she endured and the loneliness.
Along with others such as Gladys Taber and Tasha Tudor ( neither of whom had lives as difficult as Hannah's ) these women feel like old friends.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! This is not only amazing, I think I just may have to read it. NO...I'm SURE I will read it.

Prims By The Water said...

Hannah reminds me of our foremothers who helped grow this country. They had to be very strong woman to cope with all of what Nature sent. She and them are an inspiration to all of us women. Janice

Lady Locust said...

I have "Seasons of My Life" and love it. She certainly was an incredible woman. If you liked it, you might also appreciate "Little Heathens." It's a bit different but has its own qualities. Great picture of the ladies.

jenclair said...

I'm not familiar with this book or the author, but I agree that it does have the comforting sound of Gladys Tabor's love of location. Thanks for sharing a bit about her story!

Hill Top Post said...

Sandra, I got those comments too! It's a scary world we live in these days, for sure! Hopefully, I deleted all of that junk, then set up comment moderation, which I should have done already. Some of the blogs I follow use the comment box which they say puts a stop to automated spam. This makes me sad, Sandra! How about the blizzard? Will we never know how you fared?

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Thank you for sharing about this amazing woman, Hannah Hauxwell. I must revisit her soon. Love that you named your cows after her beloved ones. Yes, I do think she would be proud!

Rose said...

I am going to have to sit and watch all the videos sometime...and I want to read too....

Noticing the comment about spam, I have my blog set to allow comments on posts two/maybe 3 days old, anything older I have to moderate. It works pretty good...occasionally a comment gets through. but I just delete it.

Hill Top Post said...

Thanks for the tip on comment moderation. I just made that change. I know you are going to love the Hannah stories as much as I do. I am now reading "Daughter of the Dales" which is part 2 in the book I bought. Then I am reading your "O Rugged Land of Gold." It is still a smelly old book...:~/

Kim said...

I have not heard of Hannah Hauxwell. I too must track down her books. Thank you for sharing this amazing lady with us.

happyone said...

I do the same as Rose.

happyone said...

I too would like to read her books. I'll have to see if the library can get them for me.

MadSnapper said...

Rose is my favorite, but I love them all. and I also really LOVE the cowboy doll in the header. it is always good when we find an author we love.

Rose said...

Re about quilt shops closing...the one that has less and less fabric over in Arthur where we went the other day...the owner got married and they are trying to sell the place. I have been going to it at least 25 yrs...so it has been there a good while. Arhur is a very small community...I wish I had looked up the population. It does not have a Walmart, nor a McDonald's nor any fast food place that I can think of, if that tells you anything.

Terre Haute, south of me had a quilt shop...its population varied...but somewhere up around 50<000, maybe more or maybe less. That quilt shop did not last long. Now they have another that has been there about 4 or 5 years...hoping it survives, and I think it will. It has the right feel.

And then one west of us in a town 20 miles away has a quilt shop that has been there I would say at least 25 years, she started out in small store downtown, and has a big store now...and Paris is maybe 10,000 population....they have the Hardee's, the Mcdonald's, Pizza Hut etc...so I don't understand the dynamics of why a big town like Terre Haute did not support the one, but a small town can.

Leigh said...

I love a good book recommendation. This one looks right up my alley! Thanks!

Rose said...

I am so glad you are enjoying O Rugged Land of Gold...I sometimes worry that someone will get something and then not care a thing about it.