Thursday, November 14, 2019

"Gave the luster of midday to objects below..."




From The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore, illustrated by Tasha Tudor


What a spectacular week it has been for viewing November's full moon.  We really got a big bonus this month for the moon appeared full for about three days, putting on quite a show, I thought.  I just couldn't seem to get enough of it, and kept the curtains wide open, even in the bedroom.  I kept thinking it must have been such a night that inspired Clement Clark Moore to write, "The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow gave the luster of midday to objects below."  Of course we had no snow.  Lucky those of you who did!  

Of course, we all must be realizing, once again, how quickly the holidays are approaching.  It's definitely time to make plans and get busy.  I always think, along about now,  of  the book, Skipping Christmas by John Grisham that my daughter gave me a few years ago.  

It has been almost a year since I finished the dolls for the granddaughter's Christmas.  One of the girls told me that it was "the best Christmas ever."  I would liked to have made them another this year, but I am afraid it is not going to happen.   I am thinking a new dress for last year's dolls will have to do.



I have been making arms/hands for dolls this week.  These are made from a very lightweight fabric which makes turning the small hands easier.  It also reduces bulk and makes the fingers more
defined.  I double stitched the seams, then trimmed the allowance very close to the stitching.  I cringed a bit as I trimmed, but so far, so good.  There are four of these dolls almost ready for clay.  That might be a good job for January. 



Kate  ~  2018 Christmas doll


Mae  ~  2018 Christmas Doll



Until next time,
Mary




13 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to create your dolls. But definitely worth the effort!
Your granddaughters will no doubt love new dresses for last years dolls. Are Kate and Mae the dolls you gave them?

Kim said...

I always sleep with the bedroom curtains wide open.....even in winter. Here in this rural outpost the theatre of the night sky is always exhilarating. Those fingers of the dolls look terribly tricky. How I would love to sit by your side as you fashion one of your gorgeous dolls. I know I have said this before....your dolls are exquisite. New dresses will be a perfect Christmas present.

Hootin Anni said...

If you make new dresses for last year's dolls, I hope there will be a fashion show for us afterwards. Your creations are wonderful Mary.

Lady Locust said...

The moon has been beautiful! I agree- a magnificent show!

happyone said...

Oh yes, the moon sure was full and bright. We did see it on the snow. We could look right out into the woods. Looked like a light was turned on. We don't even have curtains on our windows!

jenclair said...

The moon was amazing, and I'd love to have seen it reflected off the snow. Eager to see the new dresses for the Christmas dolls!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I love seeing the full moon each month, Mary! Unfortunately we've had cloud cover so the moon has had a difficult time shining on us. Your dolls are such a delight. I dare say they would love a new dress for Christmas. Oh how lucky your grand girls are to have such a talented grandmother. ♥

Rose said...

Oh, my, I love Kate and Mae....you are an artist! I hope you show some of the steps along the way. I bet your dolls are a treasured item for your granddaughters.

Henny Penny said...

I just looked back at your last post and got carried away leaving you a comment there. Oh my gosh! It touches my heart to see your dolls. Kate and Mae are beautiful. That is my favorite line from The Night before Christmas, and always has been. Kinda gives you a chill, doesn't it. You write beautifully...you are so very talented.

lil red hen said...

I think probably at one time I could recite the poem by memory. Always a favorite.
I'm glad you made the dolls so their clothes could be changed; makes more fun for the girls.
I am amazed at how far to the northeast the moon is rising.

Quilting Babcia said...

I am totally fascinated by these dolls you so thoughtfully (and beautifully) create! Your granddaughters are privileged to have some of them in their collections. I'd love to sit and watch as you create these, especially the detailed heads/faces.

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

Last year's dolls are wonderful and I know they will cherish them forever. I'm sure new dresses for them will be another wonderful gift. Looking forward to seeing your new dolls. I am enjoying your blog so very much. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jean Tuthill said...

Your dolls are amazing and new clothes will be so exciting for them and their owners. My dolls love new clothes... they are getting ready for Christmas now... Thanks for your visit. I love seeing the trails that you show during your walks. Happy Thanksgiving!