Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day...






 It was a no-coat and  a no-hat kind of day.   There was just blissful sunshine and beautiful blue skies the whole day through.
I took advantage of it and caught up on some gardening chores that were needing to be done.  Then Millie and I took a nice long walk.  It was just the most perfect Leap Day ever!


It had been our intention forever so long to put up a new nesting box, our fifth one, which was a Christmas gift from one of our sons, so before day's end, we finally got it done.   There were several bluebirds around the place today, so hopefully there's a young pair near by that is looking for a fancy new apartment.

I put a lot of thought into choosing the best location for the box.   I knew  it would be best if the entrance hole faced east or northeast to prevent sunlight from shining directly into the hole and overheating the box interior.  Finally, the spot was chosen at the foot of an east facing hill that would be protected from the late afternoon sun.

Henry David Thoreau once wrote, "An abode without birds is like meat without seasoning.  Such was not my abode, for I found myself suddenly neighbor to the birds; not by having imprisoned one, but having caged myself near them."  



An old box...always a favorite

While on the subject of birds, I will mention my frustration at not being able to get satisfactory photographs of the wild birds that habitat the ponds found here on the place.  They seem to pay no attention, whatsoever, to the cattle when they come to the ponds for water, and just go about their merry business as though all is well with their world.  But, with almost the first glimpse they have of me....whoosh!  Up and away they go.  Most of my pictures of the wild ducks and herons are certainly on the fly.

I mentioned this a few days ago to Dan, wondering why they are so afraid of me, but not of the cattle.  It's not like they have never seen me before, because I walk these trails every day.  He said, "Well, cattle don't shoot guns."  I quickly replied.  "Neither do I."

Is it possible that there really is something to genetic memory?  Can animals and people inherit memories from ancestors without having  had firsthand experience?  I Googled.

"Some psychologists, most famously Carl Jung, have theorized that we're born with the memories and experiences of our ancestors imprinted on our DNA.  We're not necessarily unlocking them, but it's possible that our most basic survival instincts might stem from some long ago trauma experienced by a dead relative."

"There's evidence in rodents that you can breed learning how to run a maze into the next generation.  If rodents find themselves in a certain maze, and their parents had learned some things about the maze, then the little rodents don't have to start from scratch when they learn to navigate it.  This at least shows that it is possible that you can have some memory in your genetic material and this material is carried on."





They don't fear Millie as much as they do me....guess her ancestors didn't carry a gun either.







News from the sewing room...


One of my previous sculpts




 Making five dolls at one time is proving to be a bit challenging.  I knew it would, especially with spring coming on.  I will just keep daubing along, and eventually maybe I can say...

"There's a little person in there.
That's what I am trying to do...
I am trying to bring that little person out.
It's just dying to be born...dying to be born...."

              ~Ralph and Mary Gonzales
              "Sculpting the Original Doll"












Thanks for stopping by,

Mary








21 comments:

lil red hen said...

It certainly was a lovely day here too. ;) That's a wonderful picture of the bluebird; they're my favorites. The new house will make a wonderful home for them. I didn't have many birds this winter. I think it's because the big trees in my yard were gone due to the storm last spring.

Kim said...

Your leap day sounds as if it was lovely. Perhaps spring is on it's way to you. You truly do have the prettiest birds visit. The blue and orange bird in the tree is pretty and the blue bird in the pond is a handsome fellow. It is interesting to read about genetic material being passed down in our DNA; definitely food for thought. I love you have many bird houses dotted around your property AND I am so glad you don't shoot guns. =) Keep working on those five dolls of yours. Each time you work on them means the closer they will be born.

Granny Marigold said...

It's very interesting to think about animals and/or humans being able to inherit memories. I wonder if we'll ever know for sure.
About the birds...I've noticed that when I'm walking along and a bird is singing, if I stop and look at it it doesn't necessarily fly away but it won't resume singing until I move on. So I've taken to slowing down and pretending not to look at the bird and it works....it keeps on singing. Now, with taking photographs you can hardly not look directly at it so this bit of trivia isn't much use at all.

Rose said...

I often wonder about birds, too. Why some are so afraid and others of the same variety are not. I can never get close to a meadowlark here, yet at home in Tn they showed no fear. Would sit on a powerline and me walking right under them.

Here there are the Great Blue Herons...some fly at the slightest thing, and others just stand and let me get pretty close. I would love to know the reasons...

Oh, and when in California a few years ago, they were not the slightest bit afraid...were just all over the park near my daughters condo...in amongst the people. People were just nothing to them. They were all over the grounds, catching mice/vole/s shrews or whatever. ( I did not have a camera with me!)

Your dolls are so beautiful...I can't wait to see the new five...

Quilting Babcia said...

I wonder how many generations it might take for the birds to unlearn their fear of all humans as predators. Looking forward to seeing your next little doll come to life!

Hootin Anni said...

I spent leap day doing laundry, going to the bank, & buying groceries. By then, my day was "shot". Speaking of shooting...ducks here are the same in many areas. Others, not so much.

I do believe a life or two previously, I drowned. I fear water above my head!! But, I still love the sea (maybe I was a sailor?
Or maybe I have the fear since my g g grandmother drowned at sea coming to America.) DNA can probably show something truthful to what your Google search brought forth.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Paying you a return visit and I'm so glad I did! Lovely to see the dolls you are creating - something, oddly enough, I will be posting about on my blog tomorrow. I loved seeing your Belsnickle - I made one once but couldn't locate a picture of it on my blog to show you. It's buried in our Christmas decorations at the moment.

Julie said...

Hello Mary, Your bird photos are just wonderful - gosh they look amazing! I think your dolls look pretty amazing too! I look forward to seeing more of your dolls as you create them. Thanks so much for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me - you have come up as a "no reply blogger" so I was not able to email you & thank you personally. xxx Julie

Sarah said...

A no hat and coat day sounds wonderful. I hope you get some birds nesting and the shot of the heron taking off is a really great picture! Love the photo also in the last post of your dog stretching out in a full run. Not sure what type of dog he is?

jenclair said...

I've been observing which birds are more skittish as well. Some are so sensitive that when I pick up my binoculars, they pause immediately and prepare to fly. Epigenetic memory is fascinating and scientific studies have proven it with a number of species. There is also one in which rats inherit a sense of fear at a certain smell. How complicated are our brain, both small and large!

Have a wonderful March and many beautiful walks. :)

nookworm said...

I spent leap day cleaning out the refrigerator, creating a huge tuna mac salad (to share) and reading. It stayed very cold and the ice fishing was going strong out there. After they all (about 15 of them) leave, the crows clean up the leavings, hopefully including the dead pickerel that no one wants to eat. Eagles flew over, the crows left, eagles grabbed up a couple of bites and the crows returned. it was entertaining to watch (from indoors.) I think DNA IS passed on especially my love of nature and natural things. Your photos are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Mary, thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting. I am your newest follower! :-)

I think Leap Year day leapt right past me. It's a bit of a blur. Love to read all about your birds.

Henny Penny said...

You did post about birdhouses too! You put together such interesting and beautiful posts. Blue birds are so pretty. We've seen several pairs lately. Hopefully, all of them will stay and use the boxes we have for them. Love your pond pictures. I think there may be truth in genetic memory. Very interesting.

Hildred said...

Leap Year Day, the 29th of February, is special to us as it commemorates the birthday of one of our well loved nephews who past away some years ago, - but it is always his day when we remember his adventures in (and out of) the Navy,and the great place he had in our family.

Also, I am with you with the 'memory' observations!

Prims By The Water said...

I believe it is inherit. I saw a program about these birds kept in a zoo that were bee eaters. They had not eaten bees for a few generations, so the zoo decided to add bees back again into their diet. They knew what to do and ate all of the live bees placed in their enclosure. They caught them in air. It was crazy, but they knew what to do. Janice

Sam I Am...... said...

Yes, we are blessed with some great weather lately! I admire gardeners in the south as I have had no luck! I was a great gardener up in Iowa but then that's easy...down here is the challenge and all my respect goes to gardeners here as they are true 'master gardeners'! Bluebirds are one of my favorites! I should get a bluebird box. I usually see them in the Spring but then they leave to go to your house because I don't have a nesting box for them. Can't say as I blame them!
I think you need to dress like a cow to get your pictures although I thought the ones you got were really good! As for the memory thing...I believe that is true because I am dreadfully afraid of guns and yet have no reason to be and from the time I was little I loved the land and horses and I remember my aunt looking at me one day and stating that it was because I was Irish and my relatives loved the land and horses. I was only about 5 at the time.
I don't suppose you have Bermuda grass on your farm? They planted it here for grass and it is a curse to gardeners! I didn't have it up north and you can't kill it! I'm thinking container gardening is all I can do. I'm looking into those Earth boxes. Pricey but at least I won't have to fight the weeds/grass. Have a great Spring!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

We have also had pretty days, with wonderful rain. How lovely is the bluebird photo. You made me chuckle about not being able to take photos of birds but that the cattle were not afraid of you. The only good photo of birds I can get are from hiding behind a lace curtain and taking a photo of a bird through the window.......not as good as I like. Cant wait to see all of your little doll's personalities come through as your finish!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Always love your photos and you made me chuckle about the cows not being afraid of you. Cant wait to see your dolls when your finish!

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

We also had lovely weather for Leap Day. We had rain for nearly three weeks, but needed it for the most part, and then about a week of dry weather. We need that too after so much rain. The rain will return for the next few days.Hubby has had to cut grass twice already! Everything is blooming and we have had some very war days to be so early.
I'm an avid bird watcher but do it mostly in my own yard. When I first started, I had problems getting any good pics because the birds were so scared of humans. So I started sitting outside a little every day. I kept my camera with me so I could take advantage of it if the opportunity presented itself. I make very slow movements so as not to startle them. Now the birds are not afraid of me at all. When I fill the feeders, they will even come and sit very close to me while they wait. :o) I never try to touch them or catch them. Just keep showing yourself and they will learn that you are not going to harm them. Blessings! ~Carolyn

Lisa said...

East or northeast facing for the bluebird house - I'm glad to know that! We bought one and have to figure out where to place it.

GretchenJoanna said...

That Thoreau quote really got my attention, "caged" as I am near my backyard birds. :-)