Saturday, March 6, 2021

March...



 
It seemed today that if Millie and I should keep going, we might walk right into a great yellow ball.  It was a blinding thing, for sure, from which  I had to shade my eyes with my free hand.  However, as it continues its northward trek, this bright sun will soon be setting behind the thick woods that border the upper meadow so that Millie and I will be walking in a dappled shade which is quite wonderful on a hot summer's day.    

   



 A couple of days ago, something was definitely going on at the pond for there were two Great Blue Herons instead of the customary one.  They are solitary critters and it is rare that we ever see two together, unless...  Well, it is almost spring you know, so...

  


 

There were more new calves born on the farm today, and Rosa's new baby was one of them.  She's a spry little thing and is so fortunate to have such a good mother.  



The yellow jonquils are blooming now, here and there, and almost everywhere, it seems.  In the woods, I spotted a White Dog-Tooth Violet or White Trout Lily as it is sometimes called.  It's a rare but pretty little thing that's easy to miss if one's not careful.  











Now back inside,  work has begun on dressing the dolls.  You just won't believe the good fortune that the dolls have had, but I will save that story for another day.



I finally finished reading Grace Snyder's No Time On My Hands. (It's a long read, but a good one!)  Most of my quilting friends are probably already familiar with this amazing woman and her famous quilts, one of which is the Flower Basket Petit Point Quilt pieced with 87,875 tiny triangles, no bigger than a fingernail, and five miles of thread.  Pictured below is one block from this astounding quilt.  


Grace wrote, "I grew up on the high plains of Custer County, Nebraska, where, as a child of seven and up, I wished three wishes and dreamed three dreams.  I wished that I might grow up to make the most beautiful quilts in the world, to marry a cowboy, and to look down on the top of a cloud.  At the time I dreamed those dreams and wished those wishes, it seemed impossible that any of them could ever come true."  

But they all did come true!   Below is Grace with her cowboy on the day of their wedding. There's one thing for sure, this pioneer woman definitely had "No Time On Her Hands."   ( I love them and their story.  And, I love this picture.  Isn't Grace just beautiful and Bert so handsome?)






16 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Wow what an amazing quilt! I love the old pictures like that also and yes she looks very content
Cathy

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks for sharing the additional information about Grace Snyder and the photo of her with her dashing cowboy. That book will be a good read when I get my copy. Waiting for the next installment of your dolls' adventures at the dressmaker's shop.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, beautiful post
Our sunrises have been very very bright the last few days, To see the sun set I would need to be on the dock and look behind the houses. Hoping to do that once Larry can get help to finish the docks.
I wasn't familiar with this quilter so am happy you shared with us-amazing quilt! My Mom worked with one inch squares in many of her pieces and I thought that was small-too small for me.
Amazing that we will be in the 70's next few days so you must be the same or even warmer. Happy Sunday and enjoy your week ahead

nookworm said...

The first photo is spectacular! I love it. My mother taught all of her children what she knew of the wild flowers in the area. I am very familiar with daffodils, dog tooth violets, trillium, skunk cabbage, well you get the idea. That quilt must be very impressive to see first hand! Grace has a smug look!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I can't wait to see the dolls dressed! That quilt is amazing. I really can't quite comprehend it. Got to get that book for sure! Amazing woman. It's always so wonderful to read about someone who took what might have been a humdrum life and made it into something glorious.

Rose said...

I embarrassed to say I don't remember hearing of Grace Snyder, but surely I have. I feel familiar with that quilt, so must have run across her and just can't pull it from my brain.

Loving coming and finding new posts here. Always love the pictures. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story about the dolls.

Debra said...

I love this post! I can't wait to see all the dolls with their clothing and perhaps a story or two about them!

Granny Marigold said...

I was sure I misunderstood what you meant when you wrote that Grace S had worked all those tiny stitches into triangles no bigger than a fingernail. Well, I looked it up and sure enough. It boggles my mind how anyone could undertake such a task.
I'm so glad her 3 wishes came true. I'm glad you included her wedding picture too. What an interesting woman.

Granny Marigold said...

And, she lived to be a hundred years old!!!

Bonnie K said...

I have never heard of Grace Snyder, but I will be looking her up. Fabulous photos.

happyone said...

Oh a new cute little calf. They are so much fun to watch - the word that comes to mind is frolicking.

Gretchen Joanna said...

That sky picture with the herons takes my breath away. I'm so glad I came here this evening to see all the wild and homey things in one post.

mamasmercantile said...

The calf was such a joy and the signs of Spring. I must admit I have never come across Grace before so it will be fun to do a little research.

Buttercup said...

Your photos are beautiful and I enjoyed learning about Grace.

Prims By The Water said...

What a cute calf! The geese are flying North today. A good sign here in Michigan. Loving your dolls! Janice

Jean Tuthill said...

The quilt is so beautiful. I love how your dolls are coming along. Soon they will all have their new clothes and all will be right in their little world. Your photos are always so beautiful. Love seeing the herons and the little calf. Spring is just around the corner and it just makes me happy to even think about it!