Saturday, February 27, 2021

Along This Mountain Stream...

 

February 2021


Over the years, I have taken many pictures along this mountain stream here in the Ozarks, but this is the first one taken with my phone camera.  There are noticeable changes  from season to season and from year to year, such as the eroding away of the creek bank on which this scarred old tree clings. Where I  once could plant my feet at its base, the tree now teeters on the edge as though it might, at any time, crash into the deep water below.  Raging flood waters have, through the years, hurled boulders against the trees  leaving them, now, vulnerable and weak. 

   It is here, on this high bank beside the old scarred tree, that we like to cast our fishing lines.  (Although I would much rather go exploring as you will see in the pictures below.) 



February 2021




February 2021

There's such a lovely little beach on the opposite side of the creek here where we like to make camp.  Hot dogs and marshmallows are oh-so-fine roasted over an open fire.  We once had a firepit of stones built here, but it was carried away in one year's flooding waters.  


We always try to be here on the longest day of the year when we so appreciate the coolness of the deep shade along the water's edge.  When the wild Magnolias bloom in the spring is the supreme time to visit these wild places.. unless the creeks are flowing out of their banks from seasonal rains, which they sometimes do.

On my birthday, the first of November, it is our practice to eat out... that is....out on the creek bank.  The weather is usually nice and the colors of fall are absolutely breath-taking. It always seems to me that the whole world is celebrating my special day. 

So, if you will, come along with me as we take a look at some of our favorite pictures from the past few years, all of which are from the big Canon Rebel.  

   























Every once in awhile, I wander down to the Indian bluffs.  Campers have left a lot of rubbish inside, which is a shame, but it does help give one a perception of just how large this space is.  One of my friends and teachers, Dixie Redmond, electronically brushed away all the junk and sent this updated picture back to me.  Now, that should please the spirits, don't you think? 



 Dan won't go inside.  He says there are spirits living there. I suppose he should know about such things for in his veins flows Native American blood. And, actually, he might be right because years and years ago, archeologists dug up a young Indian woman's skeletal remains there.  It, along with other artifacts found at this location is  now displayed in that department at the University.  



Until next time...

Take care!

mary


19 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Mary I enjoyed your lovely post. Near our woods home there is the Niangua river-a very long river and your area reminds me of that. I love the sound of the river too. So glad you took us along and nice to see you too-hugs

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful pictures Mary! Our apartment overlooks the local river but it's not as pretty as yours.

jenclair said...

How peaceful. The influence of nature on our spirits can never be discounted.

Debra said...

Beautiful photos. It's good to see your land and the water that draws you by it.

acorn hollow said...

What a lovely place and so many warm memories. the Indian bluffs are interesting and sad that people left stuff there.
cathy

nookworm said...

Your mountain stream pictures really make me feel that I am there with you, enjoying the feelings and sounds. The Indian bluffs are awesome to see but I wouldn't trespass there at all. Some things in nature need to be kept sacred.

Rose said...

I cannot wait to see the pics on my computers. We have creeks we love, but they are all about 30 minutes away. Our granddaughter loves to wade and hunt for crawdads, baby turtles, etc while we fish.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Thank you for sharing those pictures of your special place in nature. Just beautiful. The water is such an unusual shade in one of the photos, breathtaking. That was so nice of your friend to haul that trash away from the Indian encampment.

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful photos Mary, so peaceful. Thanks for sharing.

Hill Top Post said...

To clarify, the trash inside the Indian cave has not been removed physically, only electronically. Thank you all for your comments.

Granny Marigold said...

How lovely your special spots on the stream are. Beautiful in all seasons. Sad that ignorant campers would leave trash behind.
I suppose it's only a matter of time until that big old tree at the very edge falls over. Surprising that it can still hold fast.
That's a nice picture of you in the last photo.

Prims By The Water said...

What a fun pictorial tour. I so love the smell of magnolias. Loved my aunt's ones in Georgia. I love eating outside too and what a great tradition you have. Janice

Morning's Minion said...

When I've lived in one place for a number of years I've enjoyed watching how a special location changes with the seasons. A pasture or wooded spot can change rather quickly--particularly if not being grazed. In each place we've lived I watch for birds and wild life, notice what plants and flowers flourish, how the landscape looks in all weathers.

Barwitzki said...

Thanks for pictures. Thanks for the nice tour. There is something magical about river landscapes ... and I especially like it.
In the last few days we immediately fell from winter and snow into spring ... the weather was very nice with us 18-20 degrees ... wonderful to be outside and we took advantage of it.
Now it's 4 - a maximum of 8 degrees ... our regular weather.
Have a happy start to March ... Viola

kat said...

How marvelous to have so much of natures beauty and variety available to you, your pictures really capture what makes it so special to you, thank you for sharing them with us

Rose said...

Oh, I so wish I could step in to these photos...I so would love to be sitting on that gravel bar beside the creek.

Lady Locust said...

Oh how beautiful! We all need places like that where our souls can relax in the comfort of nature's gifts :-)
Thank you for sharing~

Megan Schetsche said...

Hmm, it still looks a bit chilly but I'm sure warmer days are just around the corner, Mary.
Isn't it lovely to see how nature evolves over time?

Gretchen Joanna said...

How green the stream is! How lovely and green and smooth... Your place is an oasis. Those Indian Bluffs are fantastic, they remind me of Mesa Verde. I didn't know such things were in your neck of the woods.