Saturday, April 8, 2023

" I was here, I saw this, and it mattered to me." ~ Alain de Botton

 

Celebratiing

inspired by Klee


Millie and I have reason to be celebrating today.  Another year of trekking over this old hill with Millie, (and without having missed a day, I am proud to say) is now in the books.  It's not something new for me this year, for I have been walking these trails since 2005. 

Three hundred sixty-five days is not our longest record for we once reached 1,314 days. And, that streak was broken because of the weather.  I wrote on February 14, 2021, "Our walking streak is broken! The weather is just too dangerously cold at single digits, and the snow keeps coming down, measuring more than six inches.  My boots are not high enough, so that my feet were sodden by the time I went through the back gate.  We turned around and came home."

Given my age now, I doubt that record will ever be broken, but Millie and I are going to give it our best. Getting out on those old hillside trails is not always an easy thing to do when the cold winds blow and the storms rage.  We definitely keep a close eye on the weather so we can plan for the best times to go. Walking in the dark of night is sometimes the best option.  Millie doesn't venture far from me on those late-in the-day walks, but I enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of them.






It's my favorite place here.... through the back gate and up the steep hill.  It is here that I watch the seasons come and go.  Step by step on the hillsides and across the fields and meadows, I know every tree and flower.  In the years to come, if you should see a ghost walking here you can be sure it will be me.

"I was here.  I saw this, and it mattered to me."  ~ Alain de Botton








16 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really like that quote. It's obvious your 'here' matters, to both you and Millie both.

Saundra said...

What a wonderful loyal companion you have in Millie. Wishing you God speed on your next 365 days of enjoying your walks. BTW, I miss all my 'millies'.
Happy Easter.

happyone said...

I walk in the morning dark but not the dark of night.
That is some record you and Millie hold!! Here's to beating it!! :)

kathyinozarks said...

This is such a heartfelt post-thank you for sharing with us. I am so glad you have your walking partner. When our nikita was with us we walked around 3 miles every day we could for many years-after she passed I just couldn't walk again. I am going to try walking here again soon-I am not getting enough exercise at all, I may need to avoid one of the very steep hills though that is part of this circle road-lovely views of the lake up on top thought.
Love your art too-Happy Easter to you and yours-give Millie a hug from me

Morning's Minion said...

For half a lifetime [in Vermont]I could walk woods roads and pasture trails as well as back dirt roads. The closest I came to feeling somewhat daunted was when crossing a brook and going through the ice. It did occur to me that it was near dark, no one knew where I was and though I floundered out and scrambled home with boots full of icy water, pants legs turning stiff with ice, perhaps it is sometimes wise to leave a note on the kitchen table.
Here walks are limited to stomping up and down the private lane, trudging round and round the pasture. There are no verges to the narrow winding roads and sliding down the side of a thorny ravine doesn't appeal.
However, the outside cats are always happy to accompany me on my determined rounds.

Granny Marigold said...

Hannah Hauxwell said something similar when she had to leave her beloved Low Birk Hatt. There was another one who loved her surroundings although I think she was more attached to her cows than any other animal. May you and Millie continue your daily walks for many more years.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

So beautiful and such commitment. Your little trail map is enchanting.

Hootin Anni said...

Happy Easter Mary. It's a pleasant surprise to see a new post from you!!

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Congratulations on your newly made record of daily walks. Hope all the bad weather days are behind till next Winter. So many beautiful sights to see...especially walking at different times of the day. Morning, noon or night; they are all spectacular.

nookworm said...

You and Millie walking together for so many miles and views, rain or shine, cold or warm, compared to other's traipses through their areas - are so special! I sure do miss walking through the wooded area surrounding my abode, but other adventures always await on buggy rides. Congratulations for every step taken and enjoyed with Millie at your side.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I have been having withdrawals from your lovely, nurturing, posts. The photos in this one are especially poignant and beautiful. I have often told my son that I will be the ghost he sees should he ever choose to "come home" when I am gone. ~Robin~

Gretchen Joanna said...

Congratulations on another year! I wish you much joy as you begin another round of days. It's a lovely gift to be able to share a tiny bit in that joy. <3

jabblog said...

Walks with dogs - there's nothing to beat them. To see life through a dog's eyes would be wonderful, indeed.

I discovered your blog through Shrimpton and Perfect

http://shrimptonandperfect.blogspot.com/2023/04/cocktail-and-tranquility.html

Debra said...

Another beautiful post. It is all enchanting...

Prims By The Water said...

WOOHOO for you and Millie. I do remember when you broke your record. Hope you had a wonderful Easter! Janice

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I like that quote and love the beautiful photos.

Happy Spring!