Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Same old song, second verse, but how sweet it is...



From last year's journal...


As spring grew nearer and migration was in full swing, I worried that the summer tanager might not make it back this year.  It is such a terribly long journey from central American.  Then one day, not long after I saw the first hummingbird, I began to hear a bird's song that I knew well.  It was several days before I actually saw the fine fellow high in a tree. Even though the male summer tanager is brightly colored, he is not easy to spot in thick foliage.  


First sighting 2023...

 

The past several days have been quite cool ~ cool enough that we have had a fire in the stove, and I have been wearing a coat on the walk over the hill.  However, one day I misjudged and wore too many layers, so I left the top one hanging on a tree.  Millie and I had to double back on our way home to pick it up.  



Even with the cooler temperatures, I have worked almost daily in the gardens.  I enjoyed creating a small potting area in the space underneath the hummingbird feeders.  The roof above provides a bit of protection from the sun for a few shade loving plants.





If I should choose a favorite perennial, Mirage, Cherry Red Salvia (Salvia greggil) would be high on my list.  It is a long bloomer which attracts hummingbirds and butterflies.  It is hardy in Zones 7 - 9, so some years it doesn't survive the winter here.  This year was one of them, but, fortunately, I was able to replace both the plants that were lost.




The clematis vines took a beating in our recent hailstorm, but have rebounded somewhat.  Who doesn't love these early blooming beauties?  



New calves are still being born almost every day.  A few of the Mommas like to play hide and seek with us.  The one in the picture took the game a bit too seriously we thought.  



Thank you for all the kind comments on my last post.  Friends are the best (even if they are far away)!  Take care.  Until next time...

                                                                   Mary



19 comments:

jabblog said...

Clematis looks so fragile but is very resistant and always a delight to see.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Mary, what a lovely post. I have not seen a tanager before-loved your journal page and seeing him in the tree. We have a few hummingbirds that came in this week-we don't have many here yet that have found us. We also saw n orchard oriole so the baltimores should be coming soon.
Your gardens are always so lovely. I haven't been able to work out there this week, no rain to pull weeds or transfer plants-if we don't get rain today I will need to set up the hose and water it down.
so happy you shared a post hugs from the lake

Saundra said...

Your garden is quite colorful and flourishing despite the cooler weather. What a beauty it will be when it is warmer.

happyone said...

I've been having to take off layers too. :)
Your garden has a good start and already looks good.

TheCrankyCrow said...

All your photos are always so beautiful and make me want to be part of them. The photo of your jacket on the tree, and the cow with her calf in the trees are my favorites. But I love seeing your blooms. We are considerably farther behind than you and I have not even had a daffodil bloom yet. I'm glad your garden mate, the Summer Tanager, returned to sing to you. My cardinals have returned but are nesting in the hedgerow this year rather than outside my kitchen window as they did last year. ~Robin~ (So glad you decided to come back through the (blogger) door.)

Quilting Babcia said...

I have a feeling of peace whenever I open one of your blog posts. There's a serenity in the rhythm of the changing seasons and you express that so eloquently in words and your photos.

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Mary, its wonderful to see blooms in your garden along with all your garden displays. Oh, to see a red bird too. We finally have Robins visiting again. I'm happy to see the last little patches of snow that have been lingering in our yard slowly disappearing. I have a Hydrangea in a pot in our garage waiting for the weather to say its okay to plant outside. It was overwintered in our garage along with one other small tree like plant. Our local news jokes that it may be August before we can put out flowers. It has been a long winter. No leaves on trees yet either. (I have stepped away from Blogger for awhile. With hopes of returning later in summer or fall.) So very happy to see you post.

Morning's Minion said...

That heifer surely chose a private setting to give birth!
Definitely weather for layers on--layers off. I feel that the temperature can change lately on the walk from the house to the mailbox at the head of the lane.
An area to potter with plants and seedlings is a joy. I now have the tiny unheated greenhouse [which must be shared with Willis-the Cat] but I spent one summer with an old table and stacks of pots on the shady back porch.

Prims By The Water said...

I loved it when it was calving season on my grandparents farm. So glad your birdie friend came back He is gorgeous! Janice

Granny Marigold said...

This is the wonderful time when birds that have spent the winter heaven knows where come back and sing hoping to attract a mate. This is also the time when we find out what made it through the winter and what didn't. Your Clematis is beautiful. Mine are barely leafing out but they'll get moving now that the weather has finally warmed up. Something to enjoy every new day
Nice picture of the cow and her new calf. There's something to enjoy for sure.

Gretchen Joanna said...

You made me remember the Pineapple Sage I had in my garden for years. It had red flowers, and the whole plant smelled SO GOOD. I must have let it go with the swimming pool, when I installed my new landscape. I haven't had a salvia since then that has a scent near as yummy.

Yayy! for the tanager returning. <3

nookworm said...

Oh how I would like to be able to have a flower garden patch similar to yours! The clematis picture makes me happy! It is still too cool for me to go out but Spring is springing here and I'm waiting to plant poppy seeds and zinnias - somehow! BTW..has anyone seen Anni since Easter?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Seeing the summer tanager in your post sent me off to see if their range came as far north as here and the answer was no. Sadly!
New calves - ah, how I loved them when I was a kid on the farm. I made pets out of them all.
That first photo of the wheelbarrow is picture-postcard worthy. Love it!

Bonnie K said...

It looks fabulous there! Your flowers are a sight for sore eyes. We have red and yellow tanagers. I also love their song and colors. No hummingbirds or tanagers here yet. Thanks for the colorful post!

Debra said...

Another lovely post...I love your garden. Your weather is much warmer than ours now-so it's nice to see so many flowers (and the returning bird!)

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your flowers are so beautiful. I love your garden. I hope you will have a very happy May.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have tried to grow clematis but with no luck. Your journal page is so pretty! You captured the tanager in the tree well! Your garden photos are always so lovely!

nookworm said...

Great picture on your header today!

Sandi said...

I love to see the bright red cardinals. I love that your cows are forest dwellers! 💜