Saturday, April 15, 2023

Memories from an old garden...




 Millie and I were at the old garden today. She ran about having a grand time, while I did a walk through, picking up sticks, etc., after which I mowed the grass.  I had lots of time to think, so I did just that.  This is the place where we raised our family, and where the grandchildren came to play.  Some of them even lived here for a while. 



This is the little guy who named the boulder on which Nell is resting, "Pride Rock" from the Walt Disney production, "Lion King."   

When I once told him that I had possibly created a monster here, he looked around to see if that creature might be hiding somewhere in the garden.  Actually, I could see the "monster" quite clearly, and it is still alive and well to this very day.  


The next grandson was all about fishing and insisted on trying to catch fish from the little garden pond.  

"It's all in the wrist," he used to say, which he learned from his favorite cartoon program, "Oswald."  I have used other quotes here on this blog from that little program such as, "Same ole bench, same ole squirrel, same ole giant bowl of spaghetti."  Maybe that's what this blog is all about.  





So many memories....  but now back to today and Millie and I in the old garden.  The white tail deer have browsed it mightily, but in the spring it is still a beautiful place.  The dogwoods have put on quite a show this year, following behind the Sarvis and Redbuds.  The Carolina Buckeye, growing between the branches of a flowering crab apple. is in full bloom now.  I have observed through the years that when its pretty little trumpet-shaped blossoms open, the hummingbirds will soon be here.  



I was excited today to find a young Buckeye seedling growing alongside the old driveway.  I had always meant to start one from seed, but since we left the garden behind the deer always get to them before I do. I plan to move this young seedling to my current garden (another monster in progress).  



I used to collect the buckeyes.  We all carried one in our pockets for good luck, and others were made into garlands to decorate the Christmas tree.  I drilled a hole in each seed and strung them on cord, jute or raffia, alternating with bay leaves.  The one below, even though it is quite old, has found a place on the dining room table. 



I need to be getting along now, for I've been here at the computer way too long.  Blogger has not cooperated with me at all today and refused to allow me to edit certain things on my first attempt to write this post.  I was refused an attempt to move or remove pictures in the draft which was quite frustrating.  

This new problem, along with the previous one of not being able to leave comments on some blogs, has me thinking that perhaps Millie and I should just walk off into the sunset.  

One of my favorite blogs ever, Day by Day written by a very talented lady who I have greatly admired for a number of years, wrote on her last blog post several months ago,   "...beautiful fall day...Bruce (her dog) and I should shoot out the back door and gather a bouquet of asters and greenery to brighten up the house...we are on our way down the back stairs..."  That's all.  She has written no more.

At the time she wrote this she was, as she put it, "in the nineties decade."  I can't help but wonder if this was just her way of saying, "Adios and goodbye."  Or...  who really knows?  I rather like to think she and Bruce still like to take a wander in her beautiful gardens and gather a bouquet to "brighten up the house."  

Perhaps, I should just say...  Millie and I are on our way out the back gate and heading up our old hill...

But before I do, I'd like to show off a few more pictures from the garden under the hill...all taken with my phone today.






16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful memories and post, I will be sad to see you leave, but will want to keep in touch
Hugs from the lake

jabblog said...

Sweet memories and photographs help to pin them in time.

acorn hollow said...

I am sorry your favorite blog is not posting. I hope all is well. I do hope you keep posting I live going along on your walks.
Cathy

Hootin Anni said...

This was frightfully sentimental....your words today have a slight inclination of saying goodbye?!! Don't go too far away...come back and share when time allows.

Debra said...

I feel as if I had wandered into your gardens myself...such a beautiful spot.

nookworm said...

I stopped a long time ago trying to place pictures in certain spots on my blog and just stuck with simple and same formats. Made it easy. Well, what I started to say was that your pictures trigger memories and stories in themselves. Your photos of long ago are enchanting. The bleeding hearts are my favorite here as they were in my dad's garden.

Morning's Minion said...

I surely hope that you and Millie will enjoy your stroll out the back gate and up the hill, but that you will be back with us! So many bloggers I've enjoyed over the years have disappeared without warning or explanation. Hildred has been a real inspiration and I've wondered if she is still living.
Garden monsters--my garden dreams are always so much larger than I can manage. I hack at weeds, fuss over my transplants and then come indoors to huddle with a heating pad on my back and a mug of tea within reach.

Granny Marigold said...

Once when we were driving through the Okanagan we found Hildred's home and stopped for a bit. I was too shy to go knock on her door and introduce myself as one who read her blog. Now I am left wondering if she's gone from this earth. Surely one of her children or grands would leave a note on her blog to tell us.
I hope you won't walk off into the sunset and leave blogland. You'd really be missed.

Quilting Babcia said...

I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing you and Millie having new adventures on your hikes and puttering in the gardens. We're looking forward to the return of the hummingbirds in early-mid May, it's been a long winter even without a lot of snow. I hope you'll keep in touch on your blog, at least occasionally!

Julia said...

I hope that you'll continue posting. Your post always feels like a breath of fresh air.

Hugs,
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such poignant words...and I can't help but feel the melancholy of your words. They evoked so many mixed feelings as I would be very sad to have you disappear from the blog world. It seems like I only just found you. Yet, there are things in your words that resound very emphatically with me as well. As you likely know, I have "walked out my back door," intentionally or not, many times...but there is a pull here that always draws me back in - especially when the weather "outside" is unwelcoming. I often think how strange it will be to intend to always be back to write one more post, but not being able to. Who, if any, would notice the absence and pause to wonder. An email or two and then would they give up? Sadly, there is no one who would be able to pass a message along as no one here has an interest in my blog. They neither read it, nor would they likely even recall that I have one. Anyway, back to you...selfishly, I hope you always find your way back. ~Robin~

kat said...

I vote with the rest of your commenters, I so enjoy your posts, so do keep coming back here with your pictures and words. I also wonder if you are posting from a PC or a tablet. I find my iPad is very chary about letting me comment on others' blogs, something to do with a thing in settings called "prevent cross site tracking". I still post from the PC as I find it more amenable to doing what I want!
Your dicentra are ahead of mine and look delightful :-)

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Please don't walk off into the sunset.

Prims By The Water said...

Hope you and Millie have lots more journeys to go. Loved peeling in at your pretty Spring flowers! Janice

Gretchen Joanna said...

I think I know how you feel.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I was sure I had left a comment but I don't see it so have to assume it's off in the ether somewhere. I did want you to know that I truly hope you don't stop blogging because you will be missed more than you know. I am guilty of 'saving' your posts until I have a little extra time so I can enjoy them and the wonderful photos you include which explains why sometimes I'm rather tardy in leaving a comment. There's not many blogs that I 'save' so you're in a special group.