Wednesday, November 8, 2023

"To live deep and suck out all the marrow of life..."

 




"I meant to do my work today...."  No, let me begin again.  I should do my work today, but that's not what I am doing.  All of that business is out the window, and I am out the door.  The leaves are falling so there's not a moment to spare. 

 Millie and I took a longer than normal walk around the backwoods' trails this morning, and, as much as my faithful companion loved it, I think I loved it more, so I am documenting it here.

~ ~~

One of my favorite quotes of Thoreau seems pertinent here.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived...

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to route all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms..."   




So, that's why I went..." to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life."  Well, today is a perfect day to do just that.  In just a bit, Millie and I are going to catch up our trusty steed, fuel her up, and head out again.  Millie will probably refuse to ride as she usually does, but I'll not be going far and will drive slowly.  But first, here are a few more phone shots from our morning walk.  



We did not do something so foolish as to climb down this boulder-strewn steep hillside.  I have been here and done that before, and vowed, then, to never do it again.  

In the back of my mind, and I am sure in Millie's too, was our recent encounter with the wild dogs, which I am now calling them.  Where might they be holed up for the day, awaiting the setting of the sun?  

And then.... just off the trail was this.   I actually thought bear at first.  But, ha ha, the joke was on me when I realized it was nothing but an old half rotten log.   





The trees are tall in this part of the woods, so the pretty leaves were taking their time floating to the ground.  I made a little video of leaves falling all around us, but not having YouTube, I can't post it here.  






So, we are out of here.  Take care, everyone.  

Until next time,

Mary




`````

17 comments:

Aritha V. said...

I understand. Going outside is now so nice to do. Thanks for sharing our beautiful pictures.

Granny Marigold said...

This is such a wonderful time of year that it seems wrong not to enjoy it fully.
All too soon the leaves will all be down and winter will here. I love walking and having leaves slowly sail past. That was this morning's walk but yesterday I had to think of , was it Humbert Wolfe who wrote, "Listen the wind is rising and the air is wild with leaves"? I'm surprised any leaves were left but luckily there were still plenty that hadn't fallen.

happyone said...

Wow love that first picture. The water is like glass and what a beautiful clear reflection.

acorn hollow said...

Thoreau is my favorite. I am so glad you got to enjoy nature at her best. I would of startled at that log too. So glad no wild dogs around.
Great post
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

I love that quote "to live deeply and suck out all the marrow of life..." I also love your beautiful photos of the woods. I know I've told you before (several times) how blessed you are to have such wonderful trails to wander. Consider it said again. ~Robin~ (PS, I've neglected to tell you how perfect that photo of kitty is in your header.)

Lady Locust said...

So beautiful! As I was reading this, I realized I don’t have a copy of Walden. I’ve read it but really should have my own copy don’t you think? 😉
Lady Locust

jabblog said...

Your header photograph is beautiful.
It is a joy to live among so many trees and see their changes every day, for no two days are the same.
I'm pleased the wild dogs were not in evidence.

nookworm said...

It is a truly wonderful thing that you can still enjoy the woodlands and all of the beautiful sights as you go down the trails. Been there, done that. Miss it! Now I can experience it again through your writings, quotes and images. Thank you. I notice that the trees in your woodlands are so tall and sturdy looking.

Debra said...

Love the Thoreau quote. The photos are gorgeous.

Lisa said...

Yes, that log looks like a bear, doesn't it? And yes - we need to just abandon the "program" every once in a while, and do like Thoreau. :)

Gretchen Joanna said...

It's a joy to accompany you, in a small way, and get a glimpse of what you are drinking! Sweet, sweet.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thoreau was a deep thinker and the world is blessed that he shared many of his thoughts with us. I would hope that I could manage 'to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life'.

Prims By The Water said...

At first glance I thought oh no they saw a bear now. So glad it was just a log. Beautiful pictures and so glad Millie tolerated the ride because the drive was well worth it! Janice

Bonnie K said...

I love the quote. I can definitely relate. Thank you for the wonderful tour. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

That old rotted trunk does look like a bear! Your post is lovely as well as your photos!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

nookworm said...

I'm missing you.....