Thursday, December 21, 2023



 Thoreau once wrote, "Every morning was a cheerful invitation to make my life of equal simplicity, and I may say innocence, with nature herself.  I have been as sincere a worshipper of Aurora as the Greeks.  I got up early and bathed in the pond; that was a religious exercise, and one of the best things I did.  They say that characters were engraved on the bathing tub of King Tching-thang to this effect:  Renew thyself completely each day; do it again, and again, and forever again."  

Well, I didn't bathe in the pond on this first day of winter, as Thoreau might have done.  Nor did I leave my winter coat hanging along the trail as I did one day earlier in the week when I realized I had overdressed for the trek over.  I suppose those days are over for a while, which I will greatly miss.  





I make it a practice to take a few pictures every day on my and Millie's walk.  Of course, many of them of Millie.  She must be one of the most photographed doggies in the whole wide world.   A few days ago, I discovered that a new feature on my latest phone attempts to identify each picture.   Underneath one I found "Look up Dutch Shepherd," so I did.  I was amazed at how much this breed of dogs looks like my Millie.  She had been a rescue puppy, so we really knew nothing about her breeding.  But, now we know, thanks to my new phone.   

The site I visited described the Dutch Shepherd as belonging to the Herding group of dogs.  "They love a great workout and are competent, obedient, and responsible.  The Dutch Shepherd likes to know his place in the family and when they do, they will make excellent companions.  This dog loves to be on the go.  They are extremely smart, and they like to use their brains.   The Dutch Shepherd needs a good amount of daily exercise, so if you're a runner, they will gladly be your jogging buddy." 

Well, this definitely describes my Millie Girl.  Yay, for her!  Images taken from the internet look so much like her, so there's no mistaking her identity.  Below is one I found there.  




Well, ready or not Christmas is right upon us.  It's all hands on deck (that's me) here in finishing the baking and other food preparations.  Somehow, it will happen.  It always has.  

The tree is up, which amounts this year to a scrawny little Charlie Brown artificial tree that looks okay, unless one gets too close, in which it looks like plastic, which it definitely is.  I wanted a little natural tree from along the trail, not unlike this one from an old Charles Bronson movie, "Chino,( which we always watch around Christmas)" but I never found a suitable one.  

 




Happy Winter, everyone.  And, Merry Christmas!




15 comments:

jabblog said...

I love your photographs and enjoy seeing Millie. Happy Christmas to you and yours and a healthy and fulfilling 2024.

TheCrankyCrow said...

A Dutch shepherd...fascinating. I've never hear of that breed. My sister used to have an Australian shepherd and, although more gray in color, looks somewhat similar. Growing up, we always had German shepherds and they were all I knew. This will be one of the warmest Christmases we've ever had I believe. It suits me fine as it doesn't seem much like Christmas in any other way to me this year either. Hope yours is blessed with light and love. ~Robin~

Saundra said...

How lovely to know more about Millie. I knew she was a good companion and loyal because of your photos and blogs.
Merry Christmas and hope Santa pays a visit to Millie too.

happyone said...

Happy winter and Merry Christmas to you too.
Wonderful photo of your Millie.
Enjoy those walks. :)

Lisa said...

Isn't it nice to find out all these things about your dog! All this technology is good for some things. :D A very Merry Christmas to you!

acorn hollow said...

So nice you identified your sweet Millie. I have some baking to do but presents are wrapped and we are decorated.
We are 17 degrees so there will be no pond dipping today.
Cathy

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I only have a big twig for a tree this year and I'm very pleased with it. Have a great Christmas.

Debra said...

Hello my friend! I love your photos, as always. I hope you and your family and of course, Millie, have a wonderful Christmas and happy New Year!

Granny Marigold said...

Finding out what breed Millie is so nice, although she couldn't be more precious to you if she were a mutt of mixed ancestry.
Have a happy Christmas!! And a wonderful 2024 💚

Julia said...

It's nice getting to know Millie and what type of dog she is. She sure got a great match of companion when she came to live with you. You both love to go on long walks in the woods.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Julia

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never heard of a Dutch Shepherd as a breed but they sure are beautiful. Your Millie, of course, is the most beautiful of all!
Happy Christmas wishes to you and yours.

Henny Penny said...

Well Millie surely must be a Dutch Shepherd. That picture looks just like her. She is a beautiful dog and such a good companion to you. Glad I found you in time to say Merry Christmas. It's Christmas Eve and very quiet here. I am missing my children and grandchildren. This will be a lonely Christmas.

Prims By The Water said...

Have never heard of this breed but sure does look like Millie. A co-worker just bought himself a Norwegian Mountain hound. Never heard of this breed either, but it seems they track deer which is what he wanted for his deer hunting partner. Hope you had a fantastic Christmas. It was 55 here. Janice

Elderberry-Rob said...

How lovely to identify Millie's breed and to find she has pedigree! although an pet is precious regardless. I have enjoyed visiting your blog during the year, thank you! Wishing you good health and happiness in 2024. Betty

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Millie is quite the special girl !
I hope your Christmas was a festive one, and now we are all winding down
Winter is upon us, possibly a few snowflakes tonight.
Blessings to you and yours dear friend.
Hugs,
Jo