Wednesday, February 17, 2021

This Ain't Montana...




Thanks to all for your comments on my last post. I love them!  I really was feeling kind of down about having to break my walking streak of more than three and a half years.   I thought nookworm, in her comment, put the whole thing in its proper perspective.  She wrote, "I'm glad you used common sense to not trek around as usual this time.  I'm sure when the storm is over you'll be back on the trail, enjoying it all and not having to worry about how many steps you count anymore.  It will be new and different to start back." In truth, I had begun lately to feel a little like Forrest Gump when he just suddenly stopped running and said, "I'm pretty tired...I think I'll go home now."  

 Yesterday, even though it was still very cold, the sun was shining so that Millie and I could walk our paths again. I took lots of pictures with my phone and thought they turned out quite well.  The first one was taken from the main road past our house, looking north.  In the next one Millie is feeling her oats, as they say, and gave the whitetails a friendly little chase just to keep them honest.  



Today, I had it in my mind that I would finish painting the last doll's face, but then sometimes, "the best laid schemes o' mice an' men. Gang aft agley..." (go awry)"... Robert Burns.  We were just finishing breakfast when our son pulled into the driveway with an almost frozen new-born calf.  So, my morning was spent working with the poor little thing.  I have never felt little feet so cold.  I really think the calf may make it though, but my fingers are crossed. 

But, back to the dolls... Four of them were all dressed up in borrowed clothes, so we had a little photo shoot.  Riata Millwright is still waiting for her final painting, so she had to sit this one out.  I have promised her that she will get her new clothes first, so she seems really happy about that. 



Linnie Estelle Butts

Named after my great-great grandmother



Jubilee Ione Cliff

She looks lovely in this borrowed frock and insisted on wearing the bonnet too.




Maggie Rose Gunderson

My granddaughter says she looks like she is in charge.  She does seem to have lots of resolve. I think she will go far!

Robert Mitcham's mother's maiden name was Gunderson, so that's where I snatched

that one. 



Jillie Anice Cooper

Her borrowed dress was a little small, but she liked it so much she insisted on 

wearing it.  It is made from a very old fabric cut from an old garment.  The fabric

is very delicate, dry-rotted a bit, I think.  It is one of my favorites, of course,  

because it's such a nice brown.  

And, speaking of brown, I think the Garden Shanty looks so nice painted brown, especially in the snow.




We will be back soon with a picture of Riata.  Take care!  

Mary


*************

The Fifth Doll....  Added 02-19-2021



Riata Laverne Millwright



19 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

We learned it as "The best laid plans of mice and men/Often gang awry" - Robert Burns, but in his original poem To A Mouse I think it is "The best-laid schemes o'mice an' men / Gang aft agley..." Steinbeck picked up a phrase for the title of his well-written but depressing novel. Your dolls are so beautiful. I do paperclay, but usually just pumpkin-head or snowman figurines.

Hill Top Post said...

Thanks Holly, I made the correction.

Debra said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Your doll faces are done so perfectly! I love the clothing. I do hope the little calf will be okay.

Henny Penny said...

I just looked at your last post with all the snow and the cows, and this post too. Your pictures are so good. It's beautiful, but have your ever heard of such weather. Oh, I do hope the baby calf makes it. My new online friend Gwen Just lost a newborn goat, and now the mother goat is not doing well. I feel so sorry for the animals going through this. The dolls are beautiful, as usual. I love their names...and their little faces. Take care!

Bonnie K said...

I think it is maybe a good thing you missed a day. You want it to be enjoyment not drudgery. I can relate to the Forrest Gump analogy. I like Jubilee the best.

happyone said...

Glad to hear you are back walking again and just had to miss a day.
Poor little calf, sure home its warm and well now.
Your snowy pictures are so pretty.

Granny Marigold said...

Like Henny Penny commented about your dolls, that she loves their names and their little faces. That's just how I feel about them. The dresses are amazing too.
I hope your half frozen calf will be okay. I don't know what's up with the weather. Sure is strange. Your pictures of the snow are calendar-worthy!

Quilting Babcia said...

I think Miss Maggie Rose may have been a schoolteacher in her younger days. She has such wisdom in her gaze. Your dolls are wonderful and it is such fun seeing them in all phases of their creation. I do hope your baby calf rallies. This has been a terrible week for birthing creatures.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love that sweet little almost-smile I see on Maggie Rose's face...and I also love Jubilee Ione's dress. She obviously likes bold colours!
Lovely photos of the snow (I can say that, even though it's not my favourite thing!).
And poor wee calf - I hope under your TLC it will do well.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I really enjoyed your post-I loved the comment quote and says it perfectly-sometimes we just need to take care of ourselves safely. Happy you were able to get a walk in again. Years ago when we had our furry family member Nikita (she was mostly wolf and really felt like family to us) we would take long walks too in the woods. after she passed I was never able to take a long walk like that again. I tried several years later but was just never the same.
I enjoyed your wintry photos and your dolls are wonderful thanks for sharing those.
Tomorrow we will finally be almost above freezing-and they saturday 50's we will be needed to watch our dock carefully as they are lowering the lake again as the lake thaws
enjoy your day Kathy

acorn hollow said...

Your dolls are all waiting patiently for you. That poor little calf I hope you saved it. The pictures of the snow is lovely. Is that a main road or a road on your property? I was wondering about if it is a main road do they plow the snow?
Cathy

nookworm said...

Jubilee's borrowed dress is impressive. Your snowy shots show how it really is out there where you live, and I feel the harsh effects of the cold beauty. The calf's destiny is still to be determined. You are doing the best you can. I hope it survives.

Rose said...

Oh, your girls are so lovely! I love their names. The next time you make a boy doll, you will have to name him Resolve. Did you ever read The Awakening Land or see the miniseries? (the name Resolve comes from the book...you mentioned Maggie Rose seemed to have resolve, and that immediately brought the book to mind) It is one of my favorite books.

Love your snow pics...such beauty!

Hootin Anni said...

First things first Mary...do you sell your dolls?

Now 'bout your last two posts. Too bad the storms are so bad. But you and Millie continue to bond ... That's what counts.

Beautiful winter wonderland photos.

Update on the calf?

Prims By The Water said...

Beautiful pics Mary. So glad you and Millie were able to walk again. Poor calk. I hope he made it. Love your dolls too! Janice

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Such pretty snow photos and oh my! how wonderful your dolls look and I love the names! Stay warm!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

All of your dolls are lovely and have a character of their own. I love the wonderful names you chose! Such pretty snow photos. Stay warm!

Megan Schetsche said...

Your dolls are too beautiful for words, and I love the Forrest Gump quote. It's about time that I watch that movie again. I hope that the little calf pulled through; it's so tough for animals who do things in nature at the time they are supposed to and then a cold snap ruins it.

The Hermits said...

My favorite is the girl in the navy dress. Her expression seems to say she doesn't put up with any nonsense. :~)