Monday, February 15, 2021

A Day in February...









Well, the streak is broken.  It had been 1,314 days since Millie and I hadn't walked these old hillside trails, but thanks to the historic winter storm that is moving across the U.S., that's all over.  I am surprised "the streak"  lasted as long as it did.  Why, that's over three and a half years that Millie and I have been out on these wonderful woodland paths, day after day, watching the seasons come and go in all kinds of weather.

  Not to say that we gave up easily today, for we both wanted badly to go.  Right up to the time darkness shrouded the hillsides, Millie was outside the door waiting.  It was all I could do to keep myself from  grabbing my warmest winter coat from its hook, grasping my old walking stick and heading with Millie over the  almost obscured snow-covered trails.  And, I would have if the temperature hadn't been somewhere between seven and ten degrees!  


   



We took a little spin, literally, around the farm to see what we could see.  I took my old Canon Rebel for a change and brought back some snowy black and whites. What happened to the green shades in the beautiful pine and cedar trees, I don not know.  (Guess I need to buy colored film next time!  Anyone remember those days?)




The Pond covered with ice and snow.





We checked closely on the older heifers that will soon be having their first calves.  The heifer below is Rosa who was so named after I fell in love with the story of Hannah Hauxwell and her beloved cattle, one of which was named Rosa.  I think a lot, these cold winter days, about Hannah and her solitary life with the cattle on the bleak Yorkshire Dales where winters were long and harsh.  I wrote about Hannah here when I first read her books. 






Hopefully, Millie and I will soon be back to our hillside treks, but from now on I will not be keeping numbers on the calendar.  We will just walk and enjoy...  In the meantime, we are under more winter storm warnings, so... 

Take care,

Mary

16 comments:

lil red hen said...

I thought about you today and wondered about the walk. Your snow pictures are pretty. We've had two days of trying to get water thawed out for our calves. I'm afraid for the farmer to go out alone in case he fell or something, so I bundle up and go with him and feed the barn cats and four small calves. (Who would know an almost 80 year old woman is our in this! I did use a walking stick this morning.) Hopefully he has things going unless tonight's zero temps are too much for his efforts. Take care!!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Mary, wow you got allot more snow that we have. we were to get snow last night but it's early right now so still dark. It is just soooo cold here though. I got a note from the electric and gas co here yesterday to conserve energy as the grid was stressed-turn down the heat, don't use any extra appliances and use little hot water. I am so thankful we have not lost power so far. Yesterday morning the ice in the lake had widened and was touching our dock-this morning with the very negative low temps I am thinking we may be iced in this morning.
I will check out your post with the cattle-that was heartbreaking to not be able to keep your walking record-but you both need to be safe-hugs stay warm Kathy

acorn hollow said...

so sorry your streak is broken that was a good long one. We are getting sleet and freezing rain right now so I will not get a walk in I think unless it stops early.But then it will be to slippery to walk.
Cathy

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great photos! I love the one featuring Rosa but I have to say I feel sorry for her (all of them!) for being out in the snow....brrrr. I guess because I hate the cold I expect everyone else should too!
Stay safe, stay warm!!!!

kat said...

Gosh, that really is proper winter weather. We have quite a bit of farmland in Sussex and when the weather closes in like that I often think of the responsibility of caring for animals and how utterly divorced we town folk are from the realities of nature and her changing moods. You must have to be both robust and very vigilant.

You will enjoy your daily walks so much more when they resume - that is an astonishing record and a wonderful amount of time to have spent absorbing the beauty around you. I would love a dog to encourage me to walk more, but the cat chaps and the human chap would disapprove!

Morning's Minion said...

I watched the documentaries on Hannah Hauxwell years ago on PBS and viewed them again a few months ago via youtube. I've always been a country dweller, for a number of years a farm wife. Remembering the struggles to care for animals in a New England winter, living in a farmhouse that was more than a century old, I can say that I doubt I'd have had Hannah's perseverance into old age.
We've had days here of cold, freezing drizzle that has coated the front steps and made even necessary trips outside into a rather perilous thing.

Quilting Babcia said...

Such beautiful photos of your cows on the landscape. I hope your weather moderates soon so you and Millie can safely resume your walks.

nookworm said...

Since I'm a "late follower" I didn't realize that you had cattle there. All of your pictures are full of winter beauty, but I'm glad you used common sense to not trek around as usual this time. I'm sure when the storm is over you'll be back on the trail, enjoying it all and not having to worry about how many steps you count anymore. It will be new and different to start back. Please continue to stay safe and warm. Hugs sent to you!

Debra said...

Good morning...I had not heard of Hannah Hauxwell, but her writing sounds like I would love it, so I'm going to look for her books. I'm so sorry you are so cold there, and had to give up a day in your walking. Hopefully you can go tomorrow!

Rose said...

I am sorry your streak was broken, but oh, what lovely scenes you shot as a result. It is funny...I had watched youtube videos about Hannah...I think one of these days I need to read.

Oh, if I can remember there is a video you would like...not about her. And there is a book Rush of River over Rock by N. E. McIntyre: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N64DBQB/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

And the video is about her. Here is the video that has a part about her...the part about her is the segment that begins at 12 minutes 11 seconds.

Morning's Minion said...

Mary; Since you enjoyed Hannah Hauxwell you might also appreciate this documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRL9iIN3R8s
"All I've Ever Known: Margaret Gallagher's Story."

Prims By The Water said...

We has 10 inches come through overnight. Now its back to a bitter cold. BRRR Lovely pics and so sad you lost out on your streak. Janice

Rose said...

Oh, I have watched the one Morning Minion mentioned....it is good, too!

happyone said...

Too bad about breaking your record but you surely did keep it up for a very long time!! Your winter pictures are beautiful.

Granny Marigold said...

I love that you named a heifer after Hannah's Rosa. The story of Hannah and her solitary life is haunting. I find I think of her from time to time and I'm not even sure why she pops into my head.
You sure are getting blasted with nasty weather. I hope the end of it is in sight!!

Gretchen Joanna said...

Your record is pretty amazing -- and your contented attitude about the end of the streak is admirable. Beautiful photos!