Friday, May 7, 2021

Under the Gorse...




 

"Hobbling badly, Lassie turned round in the shelter under the gorse.  Then she let herself fall heavily to the ground.  She curled herself up and lay silently, her eyes staring through the mass of stalks and tendrils toward the field where the first hint of dawn was showing.  She could travel no farther.  Instinct told her that.  She must stay there.

When human beings are ill, they often make a show of their injuries and parade them so that others may see and give them sympathy.  It is just the reverse with an animal living in its natural state.  Asking no sympathy, deeming rather that weakness of any kind is something to be ashamed of, it crawls away into some hidden corner and there, alone, it awaits the outcome--either recovery or death."  ~Eric Knight's Lassie Come Home

So here I am under the gorse, nursing a broken wrist which I acquired from one careless mistake when helping the hubby in his shop.  Like Lassie I want no sympathy, but, when blogging friend Nook came looking, I thought I should crawl out from under the gorse long enough to let you know where I  have been hiding.

I am doing well, perhaps somewhat like a one-armed paper hanger, but my wrist is improving a bit each day.  I spend lots of time outside soaking up all the good old sunshine vitamin I can get.  And I am eating lots of spinach!  I am becoming quite the lefty, and think the gardens and beds have never been cleaner.  That left hand, like a hungry goose, snatches up every tiny weed and blade of grass that dares to poke its head up.  Now, I can't cut or sew (or tie my shoes) but I surely can do lots of planning in my head. 

My mom always said that there never was an ill wind that didn't blow some good, so that's the way I am looking at this.  I am seeing some good things coming from it, one of which  is counting my blessings even though they are more than I can count.  I am blessed to have two good  feet and to be able to continue to walk our hillside trails every day.  And, I am most blessed to have a wonderful family, and, yes, Millie, who, in great anxiousness and concern, was first over me when I fell.    

If you haven't read Lassie Come Home, I think you would enjoy it.  Back in my school teaching days, I loved this story, and the kids did too.  Just inside the front cover is a list of other wonderful stories I would like to read while I am on this little self-imposed Sabbatical but, thankfully, this old wrist is healing fast so that I will soon be back in the trenches.






Please note:  We do not have gorse shrubs here. It is a species of flowering plants native to the British Isles and Western Europe.  Flowering gorse shrubs are important in nature since they provide shelter and food for many insects and birds.  However, gorse is a tough, tenacious shrub that spreads quickly and can become invasive.

Take care and watch your feet, dear friends!

Mary


20 comments:

happyone said...

So sorry to hear of your broken wrist but you sure have a great attitude about it. Hope you heal soon!!

Hootin Anni said...

Omgosh!! Heal quickly and be 100% again real soon. My mother always told me that our maker never gives us more than we can handle...a positive attitude is most important.

Quilting Babcia said...

I think this is the first mention of gorse I've heard since reading all the Winnie-the-Pooh books to my children many years ago. May your healing be swift and complete.

Prims By The Water said...

So glad Millie is there for you. Hoping your writ heals fast. Thanks for sharing what gorse is. Never heard of it. Janice

Morning's Minion said...

Being side-lined for illness or injury is frustrating even though we try to remain cheerful.
I received a copy of 'Lassie, Come Home' for a Christmas gift when I was in grade school--that and other animal stories always tore at my heart. Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows--so many brought tears.
I remembered the Mary O'Hara trilogy when we moved to Wyoming in 1998 and was given a copy of her fictionalized journal, 'Wyoming Summer'. I recently replaced that tattered copy with a better one. If you haven't read that, here's a commentary about Mary's time in Wyoming. https://www.thefencepost.com/news/mary-ohara-sture-vasa-my-heart-is-in-wyoming/

kathyinozarks said...

Beautifully written, it is good to count our blessings even though we are hurting. My father would always say that too when us kids would complain about things. "always someone out there in worse shape than you" that has always stuck with me.
good to hear that your wrist is healing well, and you are able to work in your gardens. we are to get rain this weekend and am hoping we do as I need to dig up some grass to plant some bulbs I bought-thinking I should have dug up the grass first haha.
Happy weekend Your friend Kathy

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I am so sorry you have a broken wrist. I am so afraid of falling and the older I get, the more I stumble around. I just know my day is coming. Sounds like you are keeping busy in spite of your injury. Hope is heals really fast. Take care.

Olde Dame Holly said...

A broken wrist is very limiting, but you have found the silver lining. I love your phrase, "like a hungry goose." I hope you heal very quickly.

Granny Marigold said...

So sorry you broke your wrist but it seems you've been making the best of a difficult situation. Even doing this post can't have been easy using your left hand. I hope your wrist heals quickly.

Lady Locust said...

Heal up quickly please :-) I can't remember if I've read LCH, but do think I read Flicka as a youth. I know I read one of the Lassie books, just can't remember which one. Some books just use good words don't they. Oh, I think it's you who I have a few books in common with - have you read Quench the Lamp? The author's name is Alice Taylor. Okay, will quit rambling~

acorn hollow said...

I am so sorry your broke your wrist but you are surely not letting it get you down.
I never read the books just the tv show.
Cathy

Rose said...

I am so sorry to hear you have had an accident...I had been checking your blog fairly often. I just assumed you were busy with spring things.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so sorry you've hurt yourself - hopefully you heal quickly so you can get back to being creative. I read the Lassie book when I was a kid along with several of the other ones on that list.

kat said...

I'm so glad you are healing quickly, but still, take care and let the healing happen in its own time. Your garden will be enjoying your deft attention, and will contribute its own healing spell. I wonder what birdsong you hear when you are out there, always a delight when head down amongst the weeds.
Mary O'Hara's novel were a huge favourite of mine in my teens, then I had the pleasure of a visit to cousins in California (1975), and got to ride proper horses several times - I was in heaven! Black Beauty was another pleasure, but I confess to never having read Lassie.
Gorse is in flower just now in the UK, it smells heavenly, is so bright and cheerful, though prickly, and the bees simply love it. Several gardens in our area have it planted, but it also grows wild.
Look after that wrist xx

Debra said...

Oh my friend-I hope you heal very quickly! I love it that you said you have too many blessings to count! That should be a sentence to wear around my neck and always remember. Such a lovely attitude!

nookworm said...

Let's just say I had a feeling...... My mantra since I fell (2010) and shattered my rotator cuff and head of my humerous is "Do not fall!" I say this many times a day. I really think it helps as a reminder to be careful. (due or osteoporosis, surgery is not an option.) You will be more aware of possible injuries now, I do believe. Time will help heal. Just keep on being as busy as is comfortable and possible. You'll be back at it soon.

nookworm said...

Let's just say I had a feeling.....Be careful and do what you are able, without pushing too hard. Remember to not overwork and let your wrist heal in its own time. I feel your pain but soon you'll be OK again. I know it.

Sandra said...

Mary, so very sorry to hear that you broke your wrist. I know this is a busy time of year for you. I do hope you heal quickly and can do all the gardening and sewing that you want to. Give yourself time to heal.

Gretchen Joanna said...

Oh, my. Well, I'm VERY glad it wasn't a hip or an ankle -- as you say, there are things to be thankful for. I hope it heals quickly. I love the image of you soaking up the sun and walking the hills. Walking and soaking, maybe being more than doing... God bless you!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I hope you heal quickly and glad you are enjoying these wonderful stories about Lassie. Sorry you broke your wrist. Hope you get better very soon.