Tuesday, December 7, 2021

An Old Christmas Shepherd and a String of Sunset Planets...



Photo taken by me of the inside of a very old box that is in my possession.


One of my favorite books that I read with the kiddos in my classes was Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates, in which Benj, the old shephard, imparted to the boy so many of life's lessons.  Lying on their backs watching over the sheep on steep hillsides at night with thousands of twinkling stars in the heavens above were times the boy wouldn't be forgetting as old Benj muttered his thoughts aloud.  "A man must have a care to what he puts in his mind, for when he's alone on a hillside and draws it out he'll want treasures to be his company, not regrets."   And, every day ended with one simple prayer, "Thank you Lord for another day."  

I created this cloth and clay figure intending it should be a Santa figure, but he's no Santa Claus.  He's a shepherd, abiding his flock.  Can't you see it too?  

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night."  Luke 2:8




Just last night, I began reading Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd, 1874.  After the first page, I knew I was hooked on this one.  (The 2015 movie is a favorite of mine, too.)  Here it was again, the story of a shepherd watching his flocks by night.  

"Suddenly an unexpected series of sounds began to be heard in this place up against the sky.  They had a clearness which was to be found nowhere in the wind, and a sequence which was to be found nowhere in nature.  They were the notes of Farmer Oak's flute...

...Being a man not without a frequent consciousness that there was some charm in this life he led, he stood still after looking at the sky as a useful instrument, and regarded it in an appreciative spirit, as a work of art superlatively beautiful.  For a moment he seemed impressed with the speaking loneliness of the scene, or rather with the complete abstraction from all its compass of the sights and sounds of man.  Human shapes, interferences, troubles, and joys were all as if they were not, and there seemed to be on the shaded hemisphere of the globe no sentient being save himself, he could fancy them all gone round to the sunny side."  


You may be remembering at this time last year when many of us were watching the Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn forming what became popularly known as the 2020 Christmas Star.  Many believe that it was such a conjunction of planets that shepherds followed on the night of Christ's birth ~ the first Christmas Star.  

For those of you who enjoy watching the sky, there's a lot going on out there this evening and through the 9th.  The Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus (which is very bright now) will be lining up just after sunset for a spectacular view.   Undoubtedly, many shepherds will be watching.  




19 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

I am fascinated by the night sky but other than the moon and Venus I usually can't name what I see. Your photo is a help for the present time.
I like you shepherd--I'd father rather have him than a Santa--maybe its in part the job description!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I'm always hoping for signs of the Second Coming! I so want to be united with The Good Shepherd! Your shepherd creation is just wonderful. The expression on his face is just indescribable, and the look in his eyes conveys so much.

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post Mary, I have seen some photos on facebook of the moon and jupiter in the same photos-I will start looking in the sky to see if I can find anything.
I think your doll is a shepherd too. I see another book I need to check out-hugs
have a good evening

Granny Marigold said...

Another cloudy/wet week here so there will be no planet watching.
Your cloth and clay figure is definitely more shepherd than Santa.
I like your header with that solitary heron. He looks cold.

Hill Top Post said...

Yes, Granny Marigold, the heron does look cold. He was cold! He had one leg drawn up next to his breast. I consider this picture the best one, aside from family pictures, I have ever taken. I named it, "Were You Too Cold To Fly."

There was no planet watching here this evening either because of clouds in the western sky. I viewed them last evening and hope to see them again tomorrow.

Hill Top Post said...

Kathy, I am putting the book aside until I finish the Wolf book. I am really into it now and wanting badly to know how it turns out. Far From the Madding Crowd is a romance but I don't mind that at all especially during the period in which it was written.

acorn hollow said...

I love your sheppard! I am not familiar with that story but you have peaked my interest. We love the night sky we have apps on our phones telling us what is there and where which we use often.
Cathy

nookworm said...

Your heron photograph is one of the very best I've ever seen! What a shot! The shepherd is beautiful and so perfect in expression. I rarely look to the skies anymore as my view is NE and too many large trees block the option.

Lady Locust said...

What a lovely post as they always are. I have never heard of the first book you mentioned - will have to see what I can find :-) Thank you.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

This sounds like a wonderful book to read.
I am fascinating by the stars and night skies. How awesome to see the full moon and planets.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hootin Anni said...

Most nights lately, it's been overcast here. I hope to keep an eye on the sky when I can.

Enjoyed your post very much. And appreciate your handcrafts immensely.

Prims By The Water said...

Thanks for your wise wisdom concerning the shepherds. Very interesting to read about him and the stars. BTW he is perfect as a shepherd and not a Santa. Janice

Rose said...

Oh, I would like to be out watching the sky but it is just so cold. Not even sure the sky is still clear...we have been having a lot of overcast days.

Henny Penny said...

Oh wow! You write the most interesting posts. Love the picture from the old box. Yes, your cloth and clay figure is a shepherd. It's funny, my mother loved looking at the night sky, and so does my sister now, but I have always had a fear of looking at the sky at night. It makes me afraid.

TheCrankyCrow said...

So much beauty - visual, imagery, and words - in one post. That heron photo took my breath away (and not because I was imagining the cold LOL). And your shepherd Santa... How did you manage to imbue him with such soul?? And, yes, while I definitely see the shepherd in him...and if I had to choose only "shepherd" or "Santa" yes, I would likely choose shepherd as well...but he somewhat reminds me of Santa at the very beginning of the movie "Santa Claus the Movie." That, too me, is the best few minutes of a Christmas film that I've ever seen. It never fails to set my imagination whirring. A couple more books to add to my "gotta read" list. No sky in sight these past many days...just snow. This post was a virtual feast...thank you!! ~Robin~

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Your sky photo is wonderful! We love to keep up with what is happening.....up there! I always love to see the dolls you make. Each face has so much personality! You are so talented and creative! Wishing you a merry Christmas

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love your shepherd doll and you always create such personalities in your doll's faces! We love to keep up with what is going on with the stars. Love your sky photo! Wishing you a merry Christmas.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This is a wonderful post with lots to enjoy. Of course you know I love all your creations and this one especially, but I am also fascinated with the scene in the first photo. The fact that it's inside a box where it isn't readily seen is interesting.

Debra said...

Oh dear-your shepherd is fantastic! He does seem to be looking out over the fields. He is tremendous.
I love looking at the sky-I have noticed the glorious Venus so big and bright.