Friday, December 31, 2021

Looking Back... And Into the New Year



Here we are, Millie and Me, taking a long, last look at our old hill this year.  It was our 314th walk this morning since that oh-so-cold and snowy day last February 15 when I wrote on the calendar, "Our walking streak is broken!"  It had been 1,314 days since we had missed that daily trek.  I felt so sad when we had to turn back that day.  (My son said he thought we walked far enough to count.  He is a great supporter.)  I thought I would never count days again, but that's not like me.  I took another day off, and on the 17th I started counting again.  We now need a thousand more walks to get back where we were on that fateful day.  Will we ever get there?  Probably not, but we sure to heck are going to have fun trying. 

Here on the hill, we are all looking forward to a new year.  I plan to hibernate a bit and take life a little slower for the first six-weeks of 2022.  I want to read some and focus on a more creative year.  I asked the Hubby if he would help.  He replied, "I hope you don't expect me to hang out the wash."  :~)

 The picture below is from earlier this week when I pegged out the bed linens.  The Hubby thinks it is a great lot of work to do this, but I think it is a great lot of fun.  I love the contrast here of the leaves and the linens.  


It's always fun at year's end to look back at pictures taken over the past twelve months.  You know, as I have always heard, "A picture is worth a thousand words."  That's a good thing here for I seem to be better with pictures than with words. 

 The hubby and I have had a lot of fun looking back and have chosen a few of our favorites.  It was hard to choose a Photo of the Year, but we finally agreed on one that we thought deserved the honor.  




This Is Not Montana
Our Photo of the Year 2021




The Blizzard 2021



A Cow Puncher's Favorite




Our first day back on the trail.  Hubby made a pass through here in the tractor to pack the snow.  I still remember how hard it was to walk on those frozen tire tracks.  However, we still left some of our own tracks in the snow.   We were happy to see the sun!



The Old Homeplace
First Runner Up
We both really liked this one.



The Line Fence
We love the colors...





We walk past this little persimmon tree every day, so it gets photographed a lot.  It grows on a little peninsula that juts out into the pond.  No doubt, it is the perfect spot for the fairies that live there.  J. R. R. Tolkien would agree with that, I think.  




Mary's Favorite...


Take care, and happy new year.
I hope it's a good one.

Mary


19 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy New Year Mary... Your photos are remarkable...no words needed. I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite, but the one of the old home place and the one with the persimmon by the pond are my personal favorites. Perhaps snow has lost some of its magic for me living here in Nod. Wishing you health, peace and joy in the new year ahead. ~Robin~

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Mary, I really enjoyed your photo choices-nice your husband helped to choose the photos.
If I had to pick I love the Hummingbird photo too-they are so hard to capture in a nice photo and this is perfect. If I could really paint this would be great inspiration.
I had forgotten about the rough winter last year til I ran into the iced over lake-that was pretty brutal. they are still saying ice-snow-super cold coming in later tonight and all day tomorrow. Your cattle look sooo cold out there too
That was awesome what you and Millie accomplished with the many day walking streak-that must have been around 4 years or so.
Happy New Year's eve and New Years Day to you and yours hugs from the Lake your friend Kathy

Granny Marigold said...

You take amazing pictures and I would have a hard time choosing a favourite. Happy New Year to you and your family and that includes Millie.

Prims By The Water said...

Such wonderful pictures Mary! Loved seeing them all again! Good luck resting next year and Happy New Year to! Janice

Quilting Babcia said...

So many worthy photos, my pick would be the blizzard photo. Hoping the new year brings you both health and a spirit of joy with each new day.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think you should make all those wonderful photos into greeting cards (an idea for gifts perhaps?). I think my favourite is the Line Fence.
Happy New Year Mary - to you and your hubby!

happyone said...

A pretty look in pictures of the past year.
I too enjoy hanging the laundry outside!
Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.

Rose said...

I so enjoyed your favorite photos...I just simply love them all.

I always loved hanging clothes out...I stopped when Roger found out he was allergic to just everything. But I get tempted to start again. There is just something about it. I liked it when I was a kid...but back then we had a wringer washer we used most of the time.

I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Bonnie K said...

You are such an inspiration. I love that you and Millie walk every day. Your photos are breathtaking. I really like the contrast on your wash photo. My husband makes sure Ella and I have a nice path like yours. I wish you a happy and healthy new year.

acorn hollow said...

Happy New Year! Your photos are all winner for sure. WE have not had the cold yet this year, but I think it is coming soon. I would like some snow instead of the ice we have had. I love hanging sheets and blankets out they smell so fresh and clean after.
I am looking forward to seeing your creative pursuits.
Cathy

nookworm said...

And...this is why we take pictures! Yours are very outstanding and super enjoyable to see. My favorite is also the Cowpuncher's. Oh what memories they bring back! Wish I could still hang laundry on lines. Time marches forward with new opportunities to look back. I REALLY enjoy your blog!

Olde Dame Holly said...

You have enough pretty pictures to make a whole calendar! I love all of them. I hope no big storm stops your new "streak" and I agree, the next six weeks are a good time to hunker down.

Henny Penny said...

Oh, it would be hard to pick a favorite. All the pictures are just beautiful. And, I love to read your posts, your words are as wonderful as the pictures. Happy New Year and I hope you and Millie have many many walks with no problems. Oh, about hanging out the wash...being the Virgo that I am it would drive me crazy looking at laundry hanging on the line that Dan had hung out. :). Yours looks very pretty!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I hope you and Millie continue to have thousands of walks together! Your photos are so lovely and they bring such prettiness to your blog! Here wishing that you have a wonderful year ahead with all good and happy things!

Debra said...

Hello! Happy new year! Your photographs are so beautiful. You are a true artist. Something is coming your way-I think the fairies are delivering it...

kat said...

Happy new year to you Mary, your hubby obviously doesn't understand the meditative and homely pleasures of hanging out the laundry and watching it sailing on the breeze! Thank you for sharing these images of your life, they are a delight.
Wishing you much good health, many more walks with your dog, and creative renewal as the weeks go by.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the laundry blowing in the wind!! Being a southern 'belle' that I am now, the snow you can keep. lol

I'm back from my blogging break and posting again. Happy 2022!

Hill Top Post said...

Sandra, Thumbs-up on the Sabbatical! I have decided to extend it indefinitely! Ha Ha! It really is a good thing because from morning to night it is almost all I think about. Time is getting on, you know. Right now I have way too much I am working on, or want to be working on. I am still trying to finish up some things from last year's pile (such as dolls' unders). Thanks for remembering me! I hope you are doing some hibernating yourself. Those N.D. winds surely have been blowing.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Wow! I love all the photos. All of these pictures are beautiful.

Wishing you a wonderful new year.