Monday, December 27, 2021

"May you never be too grown up..."


 I feel safe to say that most of us are happy when the Jolly Old Elf is gone for another year.  He always leaves a tear or two in my eyes, a more compassionate heart, and a ton of inspiration for another year.  But, ah, just to know that there are 364 wonderful days between now and then.  (But, I am just now remembering how much fun we all had playing Bingo.  Maybe we should plan another game night somewhere in between...)



Blogging friends tear at my heart with their kindness and generosity.  And, wow, at their many talents!  I am humbled!  How I have enjoyed finding these cards in the old rusty mailbox at the end of the lane, as well as special greetings found in my computer's inbox.   



Oh, the joy of opening brightly wrapped packages to pull forth beautiful hand-sewn treasures like this wonderful, quilted piece.  I think I have looked at each meticulously placed stitch and have shaken my head in much love and admiration for the friend who hand stitched it.  I always say she is my mentor and reminds me a great deal of Tasha Tudor in her habits and talents, but not in looks. She has the philosophy of "Waste not, want not," and practices it in her everyday life.  I am quite sure she is leaving one of the smallest of small footprints on this earth.  How I admire her! 



Willa Cather once wrote, "...the irregular and intimate quality of things made entirely by the human hand."  I should like to surround myself with those things.  One of my blogging friends is a Master of It.  She makes her own soaps, weaves her own towels, makes her own hand-stamped greeting cards, and the list goes on and on.  I was fortunate enough to receive some of her soap which is just heavenly.  She really is like a sister!



The granddaughters gave me little notebooks like this one.  They know me well...better than I thought!  It kind of surprised me that they knew about them for I don't recall mentioning them.  There is a drawer full of them, so it may be that they have taken a peek at them at one time or another.  It's okay if they have for there's nothing there that I would mind them seeing.  






And, from me to me, and bought with the Hubby's money, I got these prizes from eBay.  What I am going to do with the Linda Brannock pieces, I have no idea.  Maybe just admire them, for they are quite wonderful.  I have already read some in the book and am enjoying it.  Good thing I have new books for taking notes.  (I had almost filled my last one with notes from the book about Wolves in Yellowstone.  I may never get over that one!)  






And, lastly, this little brown paper bag caught my attention when it was left here by the granddaughters.  The tag on it said, "Christmas Party Round Sack."   The paper is quite heavy and sturdy.  The back seam and the round bottom are sewn to form the bag.  One of the girls' Christmas presents was a machine for making doggie treats, so they brought some for Millie in the bag.  Of course, she loved it.  I have been calling her Millie 0-Six (0-Six was the star and the main character in The American Wolf.).  I am pretty sure she has been calling me Mary 0-Six. Yes, pretty sure!  I wonder if any of the wolves have one ear up and one ear down...



Until next time, take care and have a happy New Year.............  And, may you never be too grown up!

                                                                                              Mary







14 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

You were, indeed, (deservedly) spoiled Mary! Fun treasures all. I love your drawer full of notebooks. I'm a copious notemaker/notetaker myself. If I could only catalogue them neatly in my head so I can again find what I am looking for when I am looking for it. A machine for making dog treats you say?? Hmmm...sounds interesting. I have not read The American Wolf but am adding it to my "to-read" list (in one of those ubiquitous notebooks LOL). Although a work of fiction, I learned so very much fascinating information about wolves from the Jodi Picoult book "Lone Wolf." I have never considered them the same since. ~Robin~

Gretchen Joanna said...

Happy Christmas, Mary and Millie! The elf may be gone but I've just started sending my greetings ;-)

Elderberry-Rob said...

This is a lovely post, gifts that are handmade are always very special and having family, especially children, visit makes everything have a purpose :)

acorn hollow said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! It always is nice when the gifts are thoughtful.
Happy New Year
Cathy

Leigh said...

What a lovely post. I so agree that the things we make with our hands are both beautiful and unique. May the world be filled with more of them!

nookworm said...

This is a VERY heart warming post. I love your gratitude and know how happy and appreciative you feel being the receiver of all the special generous gifts.

Inger said...

I love that thought -- never grown up. And I ordered Th American Wolf. I hope it wasn't too sad, reading about the wolves of Yellowstone, always so sad. But then I'm a wimp, and must remember the D. H. Lawrence quote, "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself."

Rose said...

I so enjoy my visits here. I am always so glad and sad when Christmas is past. Always need a good cry afterwards. I always miss the kids and Lorelei so much...after any visit. Whether we go there or they come here.

Debra said...

What a warm and loving post! I feel like I've been sitting in front of a fire, looking up at the moon and hearing owls and wolves in the distance. Cuddling with a beautiful quilt on my lap!
Happy New Year my dear friend!
Millie is quite beautiful...

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What a beautiful posting. I'm glad you had a Merry Christmas and wish you a very Happy New Year!

happyone said...

What a lovely Christmas and such delightful and thoughtful gifts.
I so enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for great posts!!

Granny Marigold said...

It sounds like you received lovely gifts and had a happy Christmas!! No doubt you will have all kinds of projects lined up ( neatly listed in one of your sweet new notebooks).
Happy New Year to you and your family.
PS I think that picture of Millie is so sweet. If I were you I would have it enlarged and framed.

Olde Dame Holly said...

So glad to hear of your sweet and loving Christmastide. What wonderful gifts and cards! The hen is pieced so beautifully, and the soap is almost too pretty to use. I would have to have it reside on the bedside table for a few years, or displayed on the bathroom counter. I had to smile at the wonderful paper sack you are keeping! Those thick, almost like paper felt, bags are very useful!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Growing up is highly overrated and I refuse to take part in any of it. So there!
Looks like a special Christmas at the Hill Top.