Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Dixieland Delight...

 



Today, I am missing the summer tanager.   I am well aware that the time draws near when he will be leaving, but am still hoping to hear just one more song.  I went to last year's calendar where I had kept daily notes on happenings throughout the year, and found that I had written on August 6, "The summer Tanager sang loud and long.  It was a stellar performance."  

On the 7th, I continued, "Lots of hummers around the feeders, but I saw nor heard the tanager.  Was yesterday's song the last of the summer?"  The final notation was made on the 19th.  "I saw the Summer Tanager, but he quickly disappeared into the woods.  I instantly knew that he was thinking about migration, and that there would be no more summer song." 





It may be that I missed his final show yesterday while we were out making hay.  That would have been the day, wouldn't it?  August 6th.  Oh well, it was a good year for him.  He sang his heart out almost every day and seemed to enjoy my companionship.  I know I enjoyed his.


I haven't kept calendar notes this year (not sure why) except for birthdays and my and Millie's consecutive walks over the hill.  Yesterday was walk #851.  That walk was made just as darkness settled over the land.  Had I been taking notes, I would have written, "It was a good day in the hay field, other than for being very hot - 100 degrees F.  We harvested 165 bales."


To make the time pass faster while I drove round and round the fields raking the hay, I listened to Big Country on the radio.  My favorite for the day was an old Alabama song, Dixieland Delight.  

"White-tail buck deer munchin' on clover

Red-tail hawk sittin' on a limb

Chubby old groundhog, croakin' bullfrog

Free as the feelin' in the wind

Home-grown country girl gonna give me a whirl

On a Tennessee Saturday night

Lucky as a seven, livin' in Heaven

With my Dixieland delight."

Wow!  That's good isn't it!  


The hummingbirds are giving it a whirl too, for they will soon follow on the tanager's heels.  Summer always seems to go so fast.

 





In the meantime, Millie is trying to keep cool.  And, I am needing to get some overgrown grasses out of the garden... 




14 comments:

Bonnie K said...

Dixieland Delight is one of my favorites. My Western Tanagers don't sing any noticeable song for me. I'm afraid they have already moved on. I am hearing the whirring of Junco parents to their babies and the same with the Grossbeaks little whistle. Congrats on all of the walks. I so miss our Ella.

jabblog said...

The hummingbirds are so, so pretty. Once August starts the summer passes rapidly.

Prairie Rose said...

I hope you get some relief from the heat soon. We had rain and much cooler temperatures move in. Nights in the 40"s! It will warm up again, but happy for the break in the heat. It's wonderful to see your hummers and your red tanager. Millie is such a good and faithful dog. You picked a winner with her.

Morning's Minion said...

The arrival and departure of the hummingbirds is something I note on the calendar each year. Our bird population is different this season---cowbirds have apparently crowded out last year's proliferation of bluebirds, robins infrequently seen. We're in farming country and I wonder about the effect of no-till herbicides in use all around us, their effect on the birds.
Our large garden has become a task-master that I'm not appreciating this year!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Nooooooo - say it isn't so! Say the birds haven't migrated already!! I rather dislike August because I know it's the rush towards fall and then the dreaded winter. Every year I dread it more.

acorn hollow said...

We are not getting many birds as we are not feeding anything right now because of the bears about.
That is a hot hayfield but a good result
Cathy

HappyK said...

So nice to see a post from you. :)
I see you and Millie are still taking your walks.
Hope you get some cooler temperatures.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Yes, 'tis getting on in the season, isn't it? My first hibiscus has started blooming signaling the beginning of summer's big last dance. I still am amazed how many hummers populate your feeders at the same time. The ones here are so territorial that it seems to be a challenge for 1 to feed uninterrupted by another swooping at it. And, yes, I have more than one feeder. No tanagers here...but my population of cardinals has greatly expanded this year so there always seems to be a cheerful song in the air and a dash of red about. Hot weather for haying. Yikes says she who is sitting here in a sweatshirt. ~Robin~

Lisa said...

We're having a cool spell, which is the strangest thing for August. Yesterday barely reached seventy! I would love to see a tanager.

Rose said...

That is a lot of walks...so wonderful that you continue to do them. I love how you kept notes...I wish I had...and should now. Just little ones like that.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm amazed at the number of hummingbirds at your feeders!!
I've been noticing when we've walked these mornings that Robins are gathering together too, getting ready to leave. Although we always seem to have a few that stay all winter.

Rose said...

I meant to say in previous comment that your hummingbirds are amazing....

I came over to answer about 'fooling around' meant with sewing...yes that was what I meant...and I always tell my friend that I am piddling around...or piddling with sewing. I did not think anyone else would know what I meant. LOL

Henny Penny said...

And Mary, I am envious of your writing skills. Will trade you some brown eggs. :) I love reading your notes and everything you write in your posts. Gosh, if you put your notes together and published them, I would buy the book. I would love to ride with you in the hay fields. Must be beautiful. Our hummingbirds are eating us out of house and home. :) I told Dan this morning that we needed sugar again. He said, "imagine that"! Take care.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh I enjoy that "Dixieland Delight" - definitely a good song to work by. Glad to see Millie is resting in a cooler place. Wow 100 degrees is hot. No wonder they call these days "the dog days of summer". :)!!