Friday, August 9, 2019

What a Gamble Friendship Is...







 Up and down, around and around, she moves quickly as she weaves her impressive web, stretching from post to post on the hummingbirds' shed.  I watch in awe as the spiral wheel-shaped web takes shape. In almost no time at all, the web is complete, and she settles down to wait.

Wilbur, in Charlotte's Web by E. B. White said, "I've got a new friend, all right.  But what a gamble friendship is!  Charlotte is fierce, brutal, scheming, blood-thirsty - everything I don't like.  How can I learn to like her, even though she is pretty and of course, clever?"

And, so my spider is all those things, too.  But, I love her!

What happens to her web, I am not sure, for it will disappear in the morning.  She may consume it, as I have read these spiders do, or possibly, the hummingbirds may wipe it away as they zip here and there around the feeders.  I will try to watch more closely in the morning.

I think she's beautiful.  Dan thinks she's scary.  What do you think?




4 comments:

Heather said...

She is find as long as she stays outside! Sorry, but spiders are not my favourite creepy-crawlies. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I shall come visiting again.

lil red hen said...

Perhaps it was one of her kin who spun a web inside the side-by-side. What must she think when she "catches" me!

happyone said...

Not that crazy about spiders but sure am impressed with the spinning of webs!!

jenclair said...

I like watching spiders. At a distance. Don't want them crawling on me, but love watching a web in progress!