Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Millie and Mary Boyer...






If it hadn't been for Mary Boyer, I probably would have never had the opportunity to even know Millie, much less to have been able to bring her into our lives to love and to enjoy every day.






Mary M. Boyer was born in Tillicoultry, Scotland in 1927.  She died earlier this year, after having lived in our little town for forty-five years.  Her story is one I would like to know - how and why she left her home country to come to live here.  No one I have asked seems to know.

Her obituary in the local paper said of Mary, "Folks who have been blessed to cross her path during her 91 years will remember her as smart, honest, funny, kind and self-sacrificing.  She loved her family, her friends and, very importantly, any and all four-legged furry pets.  Her friends will miss her compassionate spirit and her devotion to Needy Paws Animal Shelter.

Mary was instrumental in constructing a building for Needy Paws in 1996, where she volunteered tirelessly year after year.  She cleaned kennels, worked in the office, did the bookkeeping, handled correspondence and donations, and many more tasks.  She served on the board of the shelter for a number of years.  There is probably not a job that Mary did not do, a task she was unwilling to perform, or a dog or cat she did not love."

Mary was still actively involved with the shelter in 2016 when we brought our sweet, half-grown pup home.  The picture below was taken at the pond on Millie's first day here when she and I took our very first walk together.  






It didn't take many of those walks together before Millie began to look forward to it,  and would be standing at the back door waiting for me to come out with my walking boots on and carrying my stick.  As was said of Lassie in Eric Knight's long time classic, Lassie Come-Home, "You can set your clock by her," you can also set your clock by Millie.  When it's time to go, it's time to go.





Mary Boyer's obituary continued.

"Her friends will certainly remember the wonderful, colorful stories Mary had to share.  She loved to visit with her many friends, as she was a skilled conversationalist.  She was a devoted pen pal to many friends, some of whom she never got to meet in person, but loved with her whole heart.  Mary very much loved letter writing.  She was a master of correspondence and delighted with every response she received.

Mary loved animals, politics, history, westerns and Hershey candy bars.  She relished every opportunity to discuss these subjects with her friends while enjoying a bit of chocolate."


It is that last paragraph that really struck a chord with me about Mary M. Boyer!   I wish I could  have known this fine lady for when you're talking about animals, history, westerns and Hershey candy bars...well, that's right up my alley, for sure!  

So, Mary M. Boyer, the rest of these pictures, which are some of my favorites of our sweet Millie, are for you.  I know you would be proud!




















6 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Millie looks like a dear. And alas, letter writing. I think I am/was better at corresponding via letter than any modern "connection." They are more personal and thoughtful in their content.
Enjoy your walk~

Rose said...

Oh, I so would have loved to know Mary....and give Millie a love for me. Dogs for sure have an internal clock. My dachshund would be at the back steps barking to let us know we were late heading to the barn to feed/milk when I was a teen-ager. Then when my girls were young, the one dog would be at the window about 5-10 minutes before Sarah got off the bus...waiting for her to get here.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Mary surely was a friend of animals and man. A beautiful life she lived. I love seeing your walking buddies photos as a pup.

jenclair said...

What a wonderful tribute! I'm sure Mary had no idea how far-reaching her work was, but the companions she helped find homes for will continue to be a joy for those lucky enough to have found a "Millie." Love that last pic!

R's Rue said...

❤️

happyone said...

What a wonderful dear lady Mary sounds. A lovely tribute to her.
Your Millie is a cutie and so nice to see all the pictures of her!
Happy Walking