Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Trails We Walk...









It has been 806 days since I missed walking over Hill Top's trails.  One would think it would be a boring thing to always walk, day after day, those same paths, but I don't find that to be so at all.  There really are no two days the same,  for everything is always changing.  Noticing things above, below, and all around has become a habit that I, at first, had to remind myself to do.

Why, there's the small Serviceberry, or Sarvis tree  that grows among the pines near the top of the hillside that one might not, at first, notice.  I know that I didn't, but now it is like an old friend that I take note of every day.  It is a well photographed little tree, whether covered in rounded clouds of white blossoms in the spring, or reddish to bluish berries in summer which the birds love so much.  But, yesterday on fall's first day, this little tree was all dressed up in rusty leaves, seemingly to celebrate the changing of the seasons.


First Day of Fall 2019


Early spring 2019


Bur Oak First Day of Fall 2019


Blackjack Oak where the trail reenters the woods, Fall 2019







It's the time of year for cleaning and organizing which I do in Johnny Cash fashion, "One Piece at a Time."  This week I am concentrating on the sewing room, where much was done a few weeks ago when we brought in the old pie safe that I wrote about in an earlier post. But, now it is time to go through everything in the closet, deciding what to keep and what to throw (or give) away. The very first day, I found out just hard this job may turn out to be.

There, on a shelf sat this doll; one I had set aside when I was needing to finish up dolls for the Granddaughters'  Christmas presents.  The thing of it is... I am just not that thrilled with this doll.  I almost tossed her into the trash, but then stopped, thinking I heard a soft little whimper.  Okay....

Her hands and arms were too small, so I made new ones better proportioned for her.  They will be painted when I get around to repainting her head.  Her head is made of clay covered with cloth, so if I add more clay, giving her plump little cheeks, a fuller mouth, and a bit of a turned up little nose, I will have to add another layer of cloth.  Can I do that?  Will I be able to tuck the cloth around the edges of her hair which is made of stiffened and painted cotton thread?  Well, I guess we will see.  If not, there's always that ole' trash can.

It's a rainy day here - a real drought buster!  So, it's a perfect day to hang out in the sewing room and work on the little unhappy doll.  A little later, if the rain continues,  I may be carrying an umbrella and wearing my rubber boots when Millie and I strike out over the hill.  It will definitely be a different trail today!  Then, tonight, we are looking forward to watching Episode Seven of  "Country Music."  Last night's program was just awesome!  Neither of us dropped off to sleep in our chairs, for sure!




"Anything worth thinking about is worth singing about."  ~Bob Dylan




17 comments:

Faith said...

I like the comparison picture of the Spring/Fall serviceberry. I've never seen a bur oak. Enjoyed my walk with you this morning.

lil red hen said...

Trash can??? Don't you dare! Throw her my way! She has a lovely little face just as it is now.
Wasn't the rain wonderful!!

Hootin Anni said...

We had a heavy downpour this morning. Much needed! As for the doll...I think it's incredible, a true work of art. Please don't throw her out. As for walking the same trail over & over, I do the same. And never tire of it (them...I have a few favorite places). Beautiful scenery & trees today.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your little doll may feel unloved because she has no name. But such a sweet demure little face needs no tampering in my eyes. And please, don't even mention the trash can for her! She's way too sweet for such a fate. I'm thankful we're recording all the country music episodes, tonight will be a toss-up as it's also the season premiere for NCIS, one of my favorites.

Rose said...

Thanks for taking us on your trail...no, it would never be boring. It will be interesting to see what you do with the doll. Love that last shot.

happyone said...

Oh I agree, my walk is NEVER boring either!!
So nice to see where you walk.

Prims By The Water said...

Hope you show us the finished doll. I think she looks nice. Janice

Lady Locust said...

Serviceberry jelly isn't to shabby either. I think there is a comfort in certain routines and seeing and knowing the changes. Brings peace to mind - even if only temporarily.

jenclair said...

Nature gives us so much to be grateful for and the changes in the season add spice. I love that doll--give her a chance!

Jean Tuthill said...

As I am taking my morning walks, I have been enjoying the cool fall air and noticing that some of our trees are starting to change color, too. It is such a beautiful and colorful time here in New England. I will be taking some pictures this year to record some of the beauty. Your doll is precious, with a few adjustments she will be fine...

MadSnapper said...

we are loving Country. Ken Burns did a fantastic story telling on this. we go to be before it comes on, and watch it on the DVR. we are half way through number 5 and loving it all.... I am new hear, I assume Millie is the precious dog walking with you. I would love those trails. when I walk alone here it is down a street croweded with houses. I have to drive 10 miles or more to find woods to walk in and would not feel safe alone... thanks for stopping by my post today

Henny Penny said...

I've missed so many of your wonderful posts. I've just looked back at them all. I love your new blog. We have lots of oak trees but I've never heard of the bur oak. What an unusual acorn it has. Your unnamed doll is very sweet looking. Oh my gosh, you probably did hear a little whimper. Keep her. Oh that Ken Burns "Country Music" special is the best!! I didn't know about it and have missed several nights. It is so beautiful there where you and Millie walk.

acorn hollow said...

What a lovely area you live in! Cleaning I need to take each room and go though it top to bottom! So glad you are fixing the doll and not throwing her out.
Cathy

Dianna said...

You are blessed to live in such a beautiful place!

kathyinozarks said...

Thanks for taking us along your walk-I do still miss my long walks at our woods home with our dear Nikita-after she passed several years ago now-my walks were never the same with out her-I really do need to try walking again Glad your doll did not end up in the trash-hugs

Granny Marigold said...

I'm popping in via A Rose by and by. I like where you walk and that you haven't missed a day in ever so long!! The longest I've gone without missing is one year.
We really enjoyed that Country Music series too. Unfortunately our cable was out the evening of the 6th or maybe it was the 7th episode. Hopefully it will be repeated in the near future.
Have a good week.

Rose said...

Re the hawks I just posted on my blog, no these do not migrate.