Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Way I'd Like to Go On Living...







"The way I'd like to go on
living in this world
wouldn't hurt anything,
I'd just go on walking uphill and downhill,
looking around,
and so what if half the time I don't know what for ~

~Mary Oliver, "Poem for the Anniversary"














It was another walk at dusk last evening.  This business of making hay needs to be over., but I guess we need to be making hay while the sun is shining and it is definitely doing that!  September is off to a hot start for sure, but in late evening, there is just the slightest hint of fall in the air.

 The only proof I have that I was actually out walking over that old mountain last night is this one picture of a lone cow standing at meadow's edge where the trail up Pine Hill opens onto High Meadow.   Obviously, the cow had wandered off from the herd to have a new calf in the solitary way  they have of doing.   I didn't want to disturb her, so I didn't venture over for a closer look.  The cattle are our friends, and Millie and I are their friends, but those mommas don't want other critters around their new babies.







`

12 comments:

Dianna said...

That is a beautiful poem. You live in a lovely area; your walks must be such a joy!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

These are awesome photos. What a lovely place where you live. I'm sure you are glad hay season is over. It's hot, hard work. I love Mary Oliver's poem. Very appropriate for your lovely posting.

happyone said...

I sure like that poem!!!
Your photos are all beautiful.

lil red hen said...

I've been slack in commenting, but you know how farm things take over at times. Hay work is beginning to slow somewhat and now new baby chickens are coming. Retirement ~ where are you???

Rose said...

You have got some lovely photos here! I love the last line of that poem...so fits me.

Prims By The Water said...

Great photos! So peaceful and you are right about mama cows and their calves. Janice

jenclair said...

I love your photos! Mary Oliver had such a close relationship with nature--they all feel so genuine and make a great accompaniment for your photos.

Lady Locust said...

Beautiful. Yes, to go on uphill and downhill without harming a thing - a lovely way indeed.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Such a lovely place to walk, Mary. Your respect of nature touches me as do your beautiful photos.

Kim said...

Those walks of yours and Millie's, uphill and downhill in all that beauty that nature gifts you both, must be the perfect ending to the daylight. Your photos are glorious.

Hildred said...

Beautiful photos, - they answer Mary Oliver's question, what for!

Bonnie K said...

Great photos. Your calving weather is a little different than ours. Ours is mud and blizzards.